The Student Room Group

Geology without science

I'm currently thinking about applying to the Birmingham physical geography and geology course and was wondering if my a level choices (geography, film studies and politics) will make it difficult for me to succeed? I didn't expect myself to puruse physical geography when choosing my A Levels and stupidly didn't take a science... If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by annabellewillow
I'm currently thinking about applying to the Birmingham physical geography and geology course and was wondering if my a level choices (geography, film studies and politics) will make it difficult for me to succeed? I didn't expect myself to puruse physical geography when choosing my A Levels and stupidly didn't take a science... If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I'm a little curious to why you didn't look at the entry requirements for the course: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/gees/geology-geography.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab

It specifically says:
"Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offer: ABB
Required subjects and grades: At least one science° A level subject
°Subjects considered to be sciences: Geology, Geography, Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Electronics, Environmental Studies, Computing and Psychology
Specified subjects excluded for entry: General Studies and Critical Thinking"

So yes, you should be fine with just geography. Whiilst the subjects they don't consider don't include film studies, I am not sure whether Birmingham would consider your application competitive compared to other applicants. (As far as I know, geology and physical geography isn't a particularly competitive subject, so you should be fine. However, I don't know what the situation usually is for unis.)
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm a little curious to why you didn't look at the entry requirements for the course: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/gees/geology-geography.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab

It specifically says:
"Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offer: ABB
Required subjects and grades: At least one science° A level subject
°Subjects considered to be sciences: Geology, Geography, Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, Electronics, Environmental Studies, Computing and Psychology
Specified subjects excluded for entry: General Studies and Critical Thinking"

So yes, you should be fine with just geography. Whiilst the subjects they don't consider don't include film studies, I am not sure whether Birmingham would consider your application competitive compared to other applicants. (As far as I know, geology and physical geography isn't a particularly competitive subject, so you should be fine. However, I don't know what the situation usually is for unis.)

I did read the entry requirements. My post was asking whether I would struggle without a core science A Level, not whether I could be accepted onto the course. Thank you for taking the time to copy and paste what can be clearly found on the course page.

You'd need to aim to do a course with a foundation year realistically in that case. Geology is a science degree and normally expects a basic level of scientific fluency and background from doing one or more science A-levels. I suspect you would also struggle on the course without any background in the sciences or maths past GCSE (as geology also involves a good chunk of maths).

Fortunately courses with foundation years are widespread for earth sciences/geology degrees, and this will give you the background you need to succeed on the course :smile: Not sure if Birmingham has one for geology specifically, but other notable departments such as at Manchester and Southampton certainly do!
It is very likely that you would struggle without a science A level. What is it about geology that really interests you?
Reply 5
Hi, I actually have graduated from Birmingham on the Geology and Physical Geography course. Although I studied Geography, Chemistry and Biology - Chem and Bio were almost useless so I think you'll be just fine.

p.s Its a great uni and the staff/lecturers in earth sciences at UoB are fantastic and really helpful and genuinely nice people and want you to succeed.

Hi Annabelle, Thanks so much for considering Birmingham as one of your choices. As the replies below suggest the A Levels you have chosen would usually be considered and we would class Geography as your science as we believe this usually prepares you enough to start the course. We hope this helps! Best Wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending