The Student Room Group

Sir George Monoux

Im planning to go to Monoux this september and Im predicted all A's and A*s, i dont understand why everyone is telling me that its a bad choice and a really bad college...
Can someone explain pls? im quite confused

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its not a bad college but its not the best as if your getting those grades you could have gone to any other good college that has better results etc so thats probably why people said its a bad choice but tbh it does not even matter about the college but depends a lot more on you.

If you look at the Ofstead report its not even bad as monux got 2 which is good,
http://www.george-monoux.ac.uk/news/newsArticle.asp?newsID=86.

What other colleges did you apply to?
My cousin and friends go there and apparently a lot of people are failing

And apparently someone got stabbed a few months ago (not the first time) lol make of that what you will but with those grades i recommend somewhere better - i personally think the sixth form of secondary schools are better than sixth form colleges such as Monoux as it can get distracting but its up to you
Reply 3
Original post by am99
its not a bad college but its not the best as if your getting those grades you could have gone to any other good college that has better results etc so thats probably why people said its a bad choice but tbh it does not even matter about the college but depends a lot more on you.

If you look at the Ofstead report its not even bad as monux got 2 which is good,
http://www.george-monoux.ac.uk/news/newsArticle.asp?newsID=86.

What other colleges did you apply to?

ohh thankyou!! and every sixth form in hackney and also woodhouse college.
wbu?
Reply 4
Original post by qwerty123A
My cousin and friends go there and apparently a lot of people are failing

And apparently someone got stabbed a few months ago (not the first time) lol make of that what you will but with those grades i recommend somewhere better - i personally think the sixth form of secondary schools are better than sixth form colleges such as Monoux as it can get distracting but its up to you

hmm yeah true thankyou!
Reply 5
Original post by sarah1001
ohh thankyou!! and every sixth form in hackney and also woodhouse college.
wbu?

just Monux and lsc lol most probably going monux, what courses did you apply for?
Reply 6
Original post by am99
just Monux and lsc lol most probably going monux, what courses did you apply for?

Economics, Geography, Psychology and RS
Im defo doing economics and psychology but i might change the other 2 after results day, wbu?
Reply 7
Im defo doing economics and psychology but i might change the other 2 after results day, wbu?

Doing Maths, economics, business and computing, want to do all 4 but if i don't get a B in maths then will have to change and do sciences -_- really hoping I get a b in maths lol, you decided what you want to do after college?

hi, i would highly recommend going to a sixth form in a secondary school. you get far more personal 1 to 1 teaching and help there. in a college you are all in y12 so you will all need help from teachers in the same manner so they cannot offer you the same standard of help in a secondary school where there are fewer students with the need for help from teachers, help is more personal and far more useful in a secondary. as for results, they do not publish the full details for a reason , instead they publicise the achievements of a minority to advertise this college as academic so be warned! the majority of grades there are not so good which is why it is not available on the public website unlike some other colleges and most secondary sixth forms.
Reply 9
Original post by am99
Doing Maths, economics, business and computing, want to do all 4 but if i don't get a B in maths then will have to change and do sciences -_- really hoping I get a b in maths lol, you decided what you want to do after college?

I was going to do exactly the same apart from computing which i was planning to take psychology instead but i was advised by many people/teachers/university websites that doing Business and Economics together should be avoided as there is a lot of overlap between the 2 subjects so universities dont like it :frown:-i think you should research about this before you make your mind up
And for maths, im about 2 marks off a B looking at unofficial markschemes so i cant take that :frown:
and yeah i want to go to university and study Business Managment(Cambridge hopefully because they dont care about GCSE which i think i flopped lol), wbu?
Reply 10
Original post by james1221212
hi, i would highly recommend going to a sixth form in a secondary school. you get far more personal 1 to 1 teaching and help there. in a college you are all in y12 so you will all need help from teachers in the same manner so they cannot offer you the same standard of help in a secondary school where there are fewer students with the need for help from teachers, help is more personal and far more useful in a secondary. as for results, they do not publish the full details for a reason , instead they publicise the achievements of a minority to advertise this college as academic so be warned! the majority of grades there are not so good which is why it is not available on the public website unlike some other colleges and most secondary sixth forms.

That is so true! Thankyou, where are you going?(if youre in y11)
Reply 11
I was going to do exactly the same apart from computing which i was planning to take psychology instead but i was advised by many people/teachers/university websites that doing Business and Economics together should be avoided as there is a lot of overlap between the 2 subjects so universities dont like it :frown:-i think you should research about this before you make your mind up
And for maths, im about 2 marks off a B looking at unofficial markschemes so i cant take that :frown:
and yeah i want to go to university and study Business Managment(Cambridge hopefully because they dont care about GCSE which i think i flopped lol), wbu?

Yeah I researched that as well but idk I might change business to sociology or something and yeah am scared about maths cause I think i got minimum 90 marks and maximum 105 soo i might just get a B, you never know tho the grade boundaries might be very low, i want to do economics at University, did you revise a lot for gcses lol, I regret doing one day revision now :frown: could have done a lot better.
Reply 12
Im planning to go to Monoux this september and Im predicted all A's and A*s, i dont understand why everyone is telling me that its a bad choice and a really bad college...
Can someone explain pls? im quite confused

Please do not go there :frown: Monoux is a failing college and it's negative reputation is reflective of it's students and quality of teaching

I've just finished my 2 years of A level at LSC btw, I've really enjoyed my time here (but that's just my personal experience)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by am99
Yeah I researched that as well but idk I might change business to sociology or something and yeah am scared about maths cause I think i got minimum 90 marks and maximum 105 soo i might just get a B, you never know tho the grade boundaries might be very low, i want to do economics at University, did you revise a lot for gcses lol, I regret doing one day revision now :frown: could have done a lot better.

Yeah hopefully and nopeee loool i revised the night before (when i mean the night before i mean after 11pm lol) or in the mornings. Im hoping and i hopefully should be able to get 6/7 A*-B..couldve done much better.
Are you going to the monoux induction day on the 2nd of July?
Reply 14
Original post by 408655
Please do not go there :frown: Monoux is a failing college and it's negative reputation is reflective of it's students and quality of teaching

Do you go there or have been there?
Reply 15
Original post by 408655

I've just finished my 2 years of A level at LSC btw, I've really enjoyed my time here (but that's just my personal experience)

there isn't really even that much difference at lsc tho in terms of quality of teaching? cause i applied to lsc as well so just want to know a little more.
Reply 16
Do you go there or have been there?

I've been there :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah hopefully and nopeee loool i revised the night before (when i mean the night before i mean after 11pm lol) or in the mornings. Im hoping and i hopefully should be able to get 6/7 A*-B..couldve done much better.
Are you going to the monoux induction day on the 2nd of July?

thats exactly what i did xd, yeah and i got the letter today so most probably will go depends on if my friends go or not cause its awkward going alone and acting as a loner lol
Reply 18
Original post by 408655
I've been there :smile:

Yess, i was looking for someone who went there, what grades did u come out with?
Reply 19
Original post by am99
thats exactly what i did xd, yeah and i got the letter today so most probably will go depends on if my friends go or not cause its awkward going alone and acting as a loner lol

Yeah i got it today aswell :tongue: doubt im going there cos i dont know anyone lol, will just wait until september and meet people in lessons xD

Quick Reply

Latest