The Student Room Group

[2016 ENTRY] Fine Art at the Ruskin School of Art

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by paintbrush
So which college would you say admits more students/receives less applications

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's probably statistics somewhere online but I'd guess the more famous ones get more and the ones further from the centre get less. But then some colleges accept up to 6 (Teddy Hall I think) and others not even 1 every year. (Exeter)

I know it's tempting to try and game the system but you might be better off looking at things like self catering facilities, price for food and rent, distance from town, whether you live in or in off site accommodation, how rich the college is (how much money they can throw at student let projects) etc
Original post by paintbrush
So which college would you say admits more students/receives less applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Paintbrush,

The Ruskin School handles all stages of your application except for accommodating you if you are invited for interview & practical. Colleges and College Tutors do NOT make decisions about interview invitations or offering places.

The only decision for the College is how big a quota to have for Fine Art. Brasenose has a quota of 3 - most admitting colleges for Fine Art admit between 2 and 6 students. Since the Ruskin places are equal to available quota, everyone the School wants to admit will get a place at a college - usually the place is at the college direct applicants choose for Fine Art but it can be at another college.

Last year, our quota was 2 and 4 of our applicants were given places at the Ruskin, so 2 ended up elsewhere (at Christ Church and St Hugh's). This year we have increased quota to 3 because we are no longer offering Music.
Reply 42
Original post by atlantadg
Someone please help, I've done my BTEC which I got D*DD and I'm currently doing a Foundation (Distinction - predicted grade) on top of that. It says on the requirement website that students with a BTEC+Foundation are highly suitable but I have been wondering if they look at GCSE's for the application? They dis not mention anything about GCSE's It's quite complicated. I only have 2 GCSE's because I came from a third world country and UK does not acknowledge that grade. I had to repeat English in Maths for GCSE during my college time and only got a C as I was put in the foundation paper. Even if I fight not to take the foundation paper, they would not put me in higher tier as my teacher said it would be unfair for my other classmates.

This is like an unfortunate event because it might put me down. I really want to get into the Ruskin and if I had taken that Higher Tier I'm sure I would have gotten an A because my C grades had like 2 errors on it. Will this issue affect my application?? :frown:

I spoke to someone who did the BTEC to double check, because I'd imagine it's pretty unusual for them to look at GCSEs, all they seem to care about is the BTEC/A-Level or IB requirements, which you have. And she agreed, they didn't ask her about GCSEs at all. (nor did they ask me, who did IB or any of the A-level students I know). Plus you have a pretty good reason for your grades should it come up at all (in interview for example). So I think you should be fine :smile:
Original post by the_rad
I spoke to someone who did the BTEC to double check, because I'd imagine it's pretty unusual for them to look at GCSEs, all they seem to care about is the BTEC/A-Level or IB requirements, which you have. And she agreed, they didn't ask her about GCSEs at all. (nor did they ask me, who did IB or any of the A-level students I know). Plus you have a pretty good reason for your grades should it come up at all (in interview for example). So I think you should be fine :smile:

We would agree with this.
Is it really uncommon to get in without a foundation degree? I really want to apply this year; and if I get rejected, I can always reapply next year; I just want to give it a go now.
Reply 45
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
Is it really uncommon to get in without a foundation degree? I really want to apply this year; and if I get rejected, I can always reapply next year; I just want to give it a go now.

No, apparently (according to a tutor at the open day) each year group is composed of about half applicants with foundation and half without (with some variance as the sample size is so small).
Reply 46

Taken from the Fine Art page for Brasenose College:

"The mode of entry will normally be post A-level for those who have taken a foundation course and who have already had experience of full-time practical Fine Art. With only 29 places available each year in total, it is unusual to give a deferred entry. The School does, however, take some exceptional students straight from school."

So, you could infer that it is quite uncommon but if you are ready for degree level they wouldn't decline you solely for not completing an Art Foundation. I'm in the same position as you are in - there is no harm in trying, give it a whirl! :h:
Original post by jcsiah
Taken from the Fine Art page for Brasenose College:

"The mode of entry will normally be post A-level for those who have taken a foundation course and who have already had experience of full-time practical Fine Art. With only 29 places available each year in total, it is unusual to give a deferred entry. The School does, however, take some exceptional students straight from school."

So, you could infer that it is quite uncommon but if you are ready for degree level they wouldn't decline you solely for not completing an Art Foundation. I'm in the same position as you are in - there is no harm in trying, give it a whirl! :h:

Thankyou!!! Good luck!!x
Reply 48
Hi,

I'm applying for the 2016 entry, but as of right now I'm still taking IB. Is the Ruskin more subjected to the format or ideas introduced in A-Level art or does the IB Visual Arts course actually help in pursuing fine arts at a degree level?

Also, if there is some culturally specific twist or theme to the artworks, would that boost the chances of my application being considered? I've done a lot of portraits, drawings, paintings, and I did this project about my culture (I'm from Indonesia). Does this give a sense of originality that can somewhat catch the Ruskin tutor's eyes?
Thankyou!!! Good luck!!x

The proportion of students with a Foundation does vary from year to year, reflecting the fact that competitive applications are made from students at school.
I think the main message is that for Fine Art, 6th form students are competing against Foundation year applicants whereas for most subjects the great majority of applicants are still studying towards A-level.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The proportion of students with a Foundation does vary from year to year, reflecting the fact that competitive applications are made from students at school.
I think the main message is that for Fine Art, 6th form students are competing against Foundation year applicants whereas for most subjects the great majority of applicants are still studying towards A-level.

Do you mean they have applied during a foundation, after, or both?
Original post by the_rad

Thank you very much for your help! Are you applying too?
Reply 52
Original post by thevirat
Hi,

I'm applying for the 2016 entry, but as of right now I'm still taking IB. Is the Ruskin more subjected to the format or ideas introduced in A-Level art or does the IB Visual Arts course actually help in pursuing fine arts at a degree level?

Also, if there is some culturally specific twist or theme to the artworks, would that boost the chances of my application being considered? I've done a lot of portraits, drawings, paintings, and I did this project about my culture (I'm from Indonesia). Does this give a sense of originality that can somewhat catch the Ruskin tutor's eyes?

I don't think they discriminate between A-Level or IB. They're both equally rigorous courses. (Whether or not they prefer Higher or Standart Visual Arts is a question you could ask the admissions office or on an open day).

As for cultural twist, this really isn't a question that can be answered here, or at all. None of us can read the admissions tutor's minds. All I can recommend is to make work that is genuine and that you're honestly interested in, as that will come through when you talk or write about it.

Original post by Artfanatic

Majority of people I've spoken to applied during the foundation.

Original post by atlantadg
Thank you very much for your help! Are you applying too?

I applied last October, I've just started my first year here.
Original post by Artfanatic

We spoke to the Ruskin about this. They told us Foundations used to be in the majority but recently the situation is more mixed. For more detail we suggest you contact the School direct.
Original post by the_rad
I don't think they discriminate between A-Level or IB. They're both equally rigorous courses. (Whether or not they prefer Higher or Standart Visual Arts is a question you could ask the admissions office or on an open day).

As for cultural twist, this really isn't a question that can be answered here, or at all. None of us can read the admissions tutor's minds. All I can recommend is to make work that is genuine and that you're honestly interested in, as that will come through when you talk or write about it.

Majority of people I've spoken to applied during the foundation.

I applied last October, I've just started my first year here.

Amazing! I hope I could be in the course soon! :smile:
Reply 55
Thank you so much for the advice! Good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 56
Just incase anyone doesn't already know, the Ruskin have updated their website and portfolio guide as of the 21st of October:

http://www.rsa.ox.ac.uk/news/detail/bfa-portfolio-submission-to-the-ruskin

It answers quite a few of our questions, such as being able to provide an A4 project narrative, applying descriptions to work, and submitting 20 or less selective pieces as the stronger option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Hey I'm applying for 2016 entry also. Is there a stalking page like there is for slade. Is anyone else including film in their portfolio, if so are you including screen shots.
Reply 58
Original post by Parker_
Hey I'm applying for 2016 entry also. Is there a stalking page like there is for slade. Is anyone else including film in their portfolio, if so are you including screen shots.

The Ruskin website has all the details concerning digital work, but below is a condensed version for you. Best of luck in your application!

"Digital submissions should be in one of the following formats and readable on Apple Mac Systems:

QuickTime format for video.
TIFF or JPEG format for still images.
YouTube and Vimeo links are also accepted, as are links to internet based work.

It is preferred that content on a DVD is burnt as data rather than as a stand-alone DVD. Each film submission should only run for 3 - 4 mins, in order that you can present a variety of your work."
Hey I am submitting a film, and I've included stills from it in my sketchbook.

Does anyone know whether the sketchbook needs to be annotated or can I leave it without any text?

Also does anyone know how to convert a .mov/.mp4 file into QuickTime?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending