The Student Room Group

alevel subjects for medicine

i’m in yr12 and i’m doing bio chem and art but aiming for med
when i did my research to decide alevels most unis are ok with bio and chem only but my friend said that apparently they favour people who dio bio chem maths to those who don’t
because we’ve just started the course should i switch art out for maths? or stick with art?
the only reason i want to do art is because i think im more likely to get an A/A* in art compared to maths
i was a consistent 7 student at gcse for maths, i did get 9 in my acc gcse but still im not that confident. what should i do?
Original post by nia01207
when i did my research to decide alevels most unis are ok with bio and chem only but my friend said that apparently they favour people who dio bio chem maths to those who don’t
because we’ve just started the course should i switch art out for maths? or stick with art?
the only reason i want to do art is because i think im more likely to get an A/A* in art compared to maths
i was a consistent 7 student at gcse for maths, i did get 9 in my acc gcse but still im not that confident. what should i do?

Stick with art.
Reply 2
Unis will state their entry requirements for all degree subjects on their websites - they have to do this by law.
There are no secrets and no information that only special people know.
If they say 'must include...' or 'we prefer...' that is what they mean.

You will hear lots of 'I've been told that....' etc. Always do your own checking with each Uni and don't listen to 'But I've heard...' unless they can actually show you the proof from that Uni.

List of entry requirements for each UK Med School here - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf
Reply 3
Your friend is wrong.

The only university which has a preference for a third STEM subject (which can be maths or physics) is Cambridge (which is less a preference and more a reflection that those not taking a third STEM subject are statistically unlikely to be successful as they don't manage to achieve competitive scores in the BMAT and/or interview; conversely at Oxford while a majority do take 3 STEM subjects the success rates between those taking 2 and 3 STEM subjects are similar).

Others don't care or have any preference as that's not how medical school admissions work - they are normally very transparent about requirements and the requirements are almost always of the "box ticking" variety, not a more nebulous "preference" variety. Are you taking 3 A-levels with the required subjects and predicted the standard offer? If yes then you tick that box. Any non-specified A-level subjects they don't care what it's in normally. Two (UCLan and Liverpool) indicate they require the third subject to be "academic" but again this is clearly communicated. All the others don't care as they haven't specified.

You can read more about subject requirements for medicine here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

If the unis say that biology and chemistry are fine, then they are fine. If they preferred maths as well then they would say so. Basically your friend is wrong.
Do whatever subjects you think you will get the best grade in. If you think you will get a better grade in art, then do art.
Reply 6
Original post by constatinetwell
every applicant is doing bio chem maths, doing art will make u stand out, say you like drawing anatomy or smn

Don't be ridiculous.
Please read both the answers above - and stop just making stuff up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending