The Student Room Group

what a levels should i choose for architecture as an international student

hi i'm an int'l student and i want to take a levels heading into architecture. sadly, my country doesn't offer subjects like art or fine arts, but i have decided on maths and english. what should i take as my last subject? (options: further maths, physics, history, business, thinking skills)
Original post by bungadewanto
hi i'm an int'l student and i want to take a levels heading into architecture. sadly, my country doesn't offer subjects like art or fine arts, but i have decided on maths and english. what should i take as my last subject? (options: further maths, physics, history, business, thinking skills)

Have a look at the following thread with the A level entry requirements for UK architecture courses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Can you take subjects such as design technology or product design at A level? Many courses don't require specific A levels but do require high A-level grades, so pick subjects you enjoy and will do well in.

You will be required to submit a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process for the majority of universities so if you can't take a creative subject at A level, you will need to drawing, painting, etc. outside of school.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Bath has one of the top Architecture degrees in the UK and ask for Maths and/or Physics - and an Art/Design qualification because they dont ask for a portfolio.

If you are not taking an Art/Design subject then look at doing a 1-year Art & Design Foundation Diploma before Uni - its a very well respected UK qualification and a common route into a degree - see https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Have a look at the following thread with the A level entry requirements for UK architecture courses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Can you take subjects such as design technology or product design at A level? Many courses don't require specific A levels but do require high A-level grades, so pick subjects you enjoy and will do well in.

You will be required to submit a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process for the majority of universities so if you can't take a creative subject at A level, you will need to drawing, painting, etc. outside of school.

thank you so much for the reply! sadly, those courses are also not available, so i finally resorted to physics and probably will maximize my portfolio instead. i've actually seen your thread on A level entry requirement and it's very helpful! i'll utilize that to really devise a plan for college applications. thank you and wish me luck
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Bath has one of the top Architecture degrees in the UK and ask for Maths and/or Physics - and an Art/Design qualification because they dont ask for a portfolio.

If you are not taking an Art/Design subject then look at doing a 1-year Art & Design Foundation Diploma before Uni - its a very well respected UK qualification and a common route into a degree - see https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas

i've never thought of the foundation plan before, i'll consider it then! thank you!!
Original post by bungadewanto
thank you so much for the reply! sadly, those courses are also not available, so i finally resorted to physics and probably will maximize my portfolio instead. i've actually seen your thread on A level entry requirement and it's very helpful! i'll utilize that to really devise a plan for college applications. thank you and wish me luck

Pick whichever subjects you think you’ll enjoy and get the best grades in. AAA in history, English and religious studies will give you more options for architecture than BBB in maths, physics and chemistry.

Architecture is a broad field so a whole range of A levels will help with different aspects.

I would definitely agree with looking into taking a FAD before your degree though. As a design and studio based subject it’s a good plan to try studying in that environment for a year before committing to a degree - plus it gives you time to develop your portfolio further

Quick Reply

Latest