The Student Room Group

bleaching roots, is every 4 weeks a bit much?

Basically last month i decided i wanted to go blonde from really dark brown and after 2 bleaches go it to a blonde in some places but a little ginger in rest and have been using purple shampoo and conditioning treatments to help it recover for the past almost month since then but my roots are showing already, i have i d say 4cm of roots and its annoying me already( being such a dark brunette naturally is a bit of curse sometimes:P) .

So would it be okay for my hair to bleach my roots after a month or should i try and hang on that bit longer? (baring in mind, i think i must have had to cut off at least 2 inches off hair to make it look healthy again i dont want to lose too much more) Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the rest of the ginger parts out that would be great?
Reply 1
What kind of toner did you use?If you want to do it every 4 weeks you can, but it'd be better for your scalp if you waited 6 weeks, especially if you're doing it yourself.
Original post by Eanzi
What kind of toner did you use?If you want to do it every 4 weeks you can, but it'd be better for your scalp if you waited 6 weeks, especially if you're doing it yourself.

well that was probably contributing to the problem, i stuck to using just wash in wash out blonde( the 3 wash one superdrug does) and purple shampoo to try to tone it down( i ve been washing my hair every 2 days at most to try to let it recover a bit) .

Nowhere in preston had any blue toner otherwise i would have bought that, i bought this the other day (http://www.superdrug.com/New-Colourants/ColourOn-Toner-Honey-Blonde-100ml/p/476201#.Vbbac_lVhUM) but its a semi permanent one so haven't been sure if it would work but definitely trying it when i do do my roots.
I m not sure I m patient enough to give it another 2 weeks but i can try.
yes, i m definitely doing it myself (i m pretty tight and only go to a salon once a year and cut my own hair the rest of the time)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
well that was probably contributing to the problem, i stuck to using just wash in wash out blonde( the 3 wash one superdrug does) and purple shampoo to try to tone it down( i ve been washing my hair every 2 days at most to try to let it recover a bit) .

Nowhere in preston had any blue toner otherwise i would have bought that, i bought this the other day (http://www.superdrug.com/New-Colourants/ColourOn-Toner-Honey-Blonde-100ml/p/476201#.Vbbac_lVhUM) but its a semi permanent one so haven't been sure if it would work but definitely trying it when i do do my roots.
I m not sure I m patient enough to give it another 2 weeks but i can try.

If you've still got yellow/orange parts, you'll need a violet based toner I'm afraid. The shampoo is really just for maintaining it and works best for white-blonde hair (idk what shade you're aiming for). Darker blonde toners might just make the problem worse. Pretty much every toner is semi-perm - that's why purple shampoo exists, to save us re-dying our hair every week :P

Maybe put off doing your roots for another week try and get a purple toner by then? Going blonde for the first time is a nightmare so it'll take a while to get it where you really want it.
Original post by Eanzi
If you've still got yellow/orange parts, you'll need a violet based toner I'm afraid. The shampoo is really just for maintaining it and works best for white-blonde hair (idk what shade you're aiming for). Darker blonde toners might just make the problem worse. Pretty much every toner is semi-perm - that's why purple shampoo exists, to save us re-dying our hair every week :P

Maybe put off doing your roots for another week try and get a purple toner by then? Going blonde for the first time is a nightmare so it'll take a while to get it where you really want it.

thank you for your help:smile: will have to look online and hope its not expensive :/ , i m finding it really annoying that my local shops have dyes in every shade but barely any toners -_-. Well the original aim was a lightish blonde but currently if i can get any remaining ginger gone i ll be happy, in some places especially where i did a strand test i have managed a reasonably light blonde but just didnt take everywhere like that :frown: .
I know i cant expect miracles going from almost black hair to blonde so have lowered my expectations a fair bit. I ll try and wait a few more days at least, even after all this hassle i definitely wont be going back brunette for a long while i think.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest