The Student Room Group

King's College Maths Sixth form 2023 applicants

Hii! I'm thinking of applying to King's College Maths School and I was wondering if someone who goes there could tell me how hard the admissions test is? Is it fairly similar to the specimen test or harder? And what is the general atmosphere of the school like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vanishing-skille
Hii! I'm thinking of applying to King's College Maths School and I was wondering if someone who goes there could tell me how hard the admissions test is? Is it fairly similar to the specimen test or harder? And what is the general atmosphere of the school like?

Hey There, I am a current year 13 at KCLMS.
The admissions test at the time was slightly harder than the specimen but it was not impossible it just required you to think more abstractly then normally.
The general atmosphere is really good I have made lots of friends and lots of people are very smart but willing to help and lend a hand. I would really recommend giving it a shot. Any questions feel free to ask!
Original post by Aosta
The admissions test at the time was slightly harder than the specimen but it was not impossible it just required you to think more abstractly then normally.
The general atmosphere is really good I have made lots of friends and lots of people are very smart but willing to help and lend a hand. I would really recommend giving it a shot. Any questions feel free to ask!

Hii thanks for replying, so is the admissions test basically like ukmt questions and also is it really competitive cuz I'm just not sure I'm gonna fit in there cuz I'm good at maths but I'm not that passionate about it. Also what was the interview like, was it super intense? And also what do u wear to interviews or the taster day? Thanks so much!
Reply 3
Yh the test is similar but it is not mcq. As for the culture there is some competitiveness but people are equally likely to help you and lots of people are friendly and if youre good at maths you will fit in! Interview was not too intense I personally was a bit nervous but thats expected. The interview is 2 one for maths and one personal and its nothing to be scared off its just to help them get to onow you more. The interview dress code i just wore u iform as I had school to get back too. Anything else fee free to ask!
Hii thanks for replying, so is the admissions test basically like ukmt questions and also is it really competitive cuz I'm just not sure I'm gonna fit in there cuz I'm good at maths but I'm not that passionate about it. Also what was the interview like, was it super intense? And also what do u wear to interviews or the taster day? Thanks so much!
Original post by Aosta
Yh the test is similar but it is not mcq. As for the culture there is some competitiveness but people are equally likely to help you and lots of people are friendly and if youre good at maths you will fit in! Interview was not too intense I personally was a bit nervous but thats expected. The interview is 2 one for maths and one personal and its nothing to be scared off its just to help them get to onow you more. The interview dress code i just wore u iform as I had school to get back too. Anything else fee free to ask!

Thankss and I just found about another maths school called the imperial college London mathematics school and now I can't decide which one I should go to so if u have heard of it please help lol. Also does kings have a good oxbridge program and do they do loads of extracurricular stuff as well. And lastly, is doing 4 a levels a lot cuz I don't know what the content and stuff is like for a levels but so many people have told me that I should just stick with 3 but I dunnoo. Thanks!
Reply 5
Thankss and I just found about another maths school called the imperial college London mathematics school and now I can't decide which one I should go to so if u have heard of it please help lol. Also does kings have a good oxbridge program and do they do loads of extracurricular stuff as well. And lastly, is doing 4 a levels a lot cuz I don't know what the content and stuff is like for a levels but so many people have told me that I should just stick with 3 but I dunnoo. Thanks!

Imperial is the sister school of kings so both are good In fact i believe the head of imperial mr wilne used to work at kings the year before I joined. So both are suppose to be good. The kings oxbridge program is very good in my opinion in helping students prepare for the tests and there personal statement. There are a range of extra curricululars from robotica to debate and they also have i thunk theyre called super curriculars like clubs where you expand youre knowledge of topics. And as for kings we dont do 4 A levels we do 3 A levels and 1 AS so the work load seems ok and manageable most of the time though they do give a decent chunk of work.
Original post by Aosta
Imperial is the sister school of kings so both are good In fact i believe the head of imperial mr wilne used to work at kings the year before I joined. So both are suppose to be good. The kings oxbridge program is very good in my opinion in helping students prepare for the tests and there personal statement. There are a range of extra curricululars from robotica to debate and they also have i thunk theyre called super curriculars like clubs where you expand youre knowledge of topics. And as for kings we dont do 4 A levels we do 3 A levels and 1 AS so the work load seems ok and manageable most of the time though they do give a decent chunk of work.

Okayy thank you soo much, I really appreciate this🙂
Original post by 11academic11
Which English paper question did you complete, and what were your points? I picked the story one, but I wish I picked the description. What did you think of the General Thinking stimulus material, as well? I've been hearing a lot of differing viewpoints. Maths was pretty good for me.

I assume this was an accident loll

wdym?

This thread is about kings maths school which is a maths school and so they don't do english..?? And I don't know which exams ur talking about??

ohhh oops
I was referring to King's College Wimbledon, and their entrance exams.

Ohh sorryy😭 is that not a maths school as well?? What subjects are u thinking of doing??
Original post by Aosta

Do you have any tips for the admissions test? What ukmt challenge would you suggest? How are you finding the extracurricular side?
Original post by dreamydogs

Do you have any tips for the admissions test? What ukmt challenge would you suggest? How are you finding the extracurricular side?

Did u attend the open evening today? In it they said u can do ukmt questions and they said rhey have loads of sports and stuff
Did u attend the open evening today? In it they said u can do ukmt questions and they said rhey have loads of sports and stuff

Yes I went to the open evening - i'm really nervous that so many ppl are applying

Yes I went to the open evening - i'm really nervous that so many ppl are applying

Samee and they only choose like 60 ppl as well😭 but oh well if I get in I get in if I don't I don't
Oh there's also another maths school called the imperial maths school or something and that's quite similar to kings as well

Are u going to the taster day??
Samee and they only choose like 60 ppl as well😭 but oh well if I get in I get in if I don't I don't
Oh there's also another maths school called the imperial maths school or something and that's quite similar to kings as well

I kind of live too far for imperial - for me it's kings, LAE or Brampton. I went to a taster day and really enjoyed it, but I found everyone really intimidating
(edited 5 months ago)

What did you think about imperial (if you attended the taster day) - better/worse/same as kings?

I kind of live too far for imperial - for me it's kings or nothing. I went to a taster day and really enjoyed it, but I found everyone really intimidating

Ohh fair enough
How many people were there at the taster day?? And what was everyone wearing loll I have no clue what to wear
Are u still gonna apply to other schools as a backup

What did you think about imperial (if you attended the taster day) - better/worse/same as kings?

I haven't been to the taster day😭 but at the open evening they said they're quite similar to kings
Reply 18
Original post by Aosta

Hello, I have aldready applied for the september 2024 entry, i have always wanted to go here(i nearly applied for the KCLMS + outreach program but some challenges came in the way, i had to keep it aside for a while.) and i checked what knowledge is required for the admissions test which is the KS3 curriculum. I have been practicing some ukcmt intermediate challenge questions. Is there any other way i can prepare for the exam(maybe ask my mathematics teacher for help?) or personal techniques that worked for you?
Original post by purplecat!
Ohh fair enough
How many people were there at the taster day?? And what was everyone wearing loll I have no clue what to wear
Are u still gonna apply to other schools as a backup

I was thinking my current school or imperial but the commute is just a bit too far for imperial for me so I'll probably just apply to my school. At kings there were roughly 30-50 people I think, we only filled two classrooms, and everyone was dressed casually (nobody was in uniform, just casual clothes such as jeans or joggers). Everyone was really nice and the activities were really fun (I won't give spoilers but if you like maths and physics I'm sure you'll enjoy the taster day)! Are you applying to other schools other than kings?

Okay thankss!!
What school do u go to rn??
Cuz I go to michaela I dunno if u have heard of it but its the worst so I'm not going there
But I have applied to kings, imperial, St doms, wembley and maybe woodhouse and Harris but I just can't be asked to do rhe entrance exams for harris😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending