The Student Room Group

CFE Higher English 2015 - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Omg. At the start of the exam I felt like I was having a panic attack! My heart was beating so fast I thought I was gonna die. Close reading was okay, but I thought I was repeating myself too much. The critical essay was amazing, I picked setting. Mrs Midas came up but I had a gut feeling it was going to so revised tons of it last night.

I was so pleased mrs Midas came up because I had done quite a few practices on it :smile: I didn't like all the questions on atmosphere and mood though!! What was all that about??
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Omg. At the start of the exam I felt like I was having a panic attack! My heart was beating so fast I thought I was gonna die. Close reading was okay, but I thought I was repeating myself too much. The critical essay was amazing, I picked setting. Mrs Midas came up but I had a gut feeling it was going to so revised tons of it last night.

You shouldn't feel like dying. You've got everything sorted.
I Don't study Carol Ann Duffy for Scottish... but I heard people on here praying not for Mrs Midas to come up and just looked and... It came up...

How did it go guys?

How does everyone think they did?

Praise bee to the lord in all honesty. I memorised my teacher's essay and it nearly word for word was the exact same that came up! The cone gatherers ten marker was very generous in my opinion!!! Yay!!!

My timing was ****. I did 3=4 quotes for the textual analysis 10 marker, was able to bomb through my essay in about 35 minutes (it's really long but I memorised it so didn't have to think at all which was good) and in the last 5 minutes added 2 more quotes to my textual analysis 10 marker. I actually had 7 quotes in total but ran out of time on the 7th but I guess that's not too bad?

That close reading actually messed me up big time compared to last years one! :frown: I put one of the questions as a linking one which apparently is wrong, my teacher said for my answer I will probably get 1 mark out of 4 for that tone and contrast and I messed it up badly :frown:

Tbh, I think I'm on the fence atm but I really hope that was enough! Biology next, MAJOR CRAMMING.

Hearing lots of sad stories, please don't be. You will all do great and keep in mind the possibilty of the grade boundary being lowered as EVERYONE found that tone and contrast difficult and also the exam leak so stay positive and think happy thoughts! Best of luck and I honestly really hope EVERYONE gets the grade they want. You all did amazing!
Hi just did my English as well for higher and I'm kinda freaking out coz I did the close reading bit in pencil and then got told off in the second part of the exam for using pencil so I had to switch to pen. What will happen now that I've done the close reading bit in pencil?!?!
WOOHOO!!!!! No more English for me!!
Did anyone else write on nonfiction?
Original post by beccabuttabean
Hi just did my English as well for higher and I'm kinda freaking out coz I did the close reading bit in pencil and then got told off in the second part of the exam for using pencil so I had to switch to pen. What will happen now that I've done the close reading bit in pencil?!?!

You will probably be fine. Was it a dark pencil?
Original post by Science_Girl
You will probably be fine. Was it a dark pencil?

It was a black and yellow HB pencil? :/
Original post by beccabuttabean

Oh ****.

Don't mean to scare you but my friend wrote in pencil for an s3 exam we had and actually got 100% when they marked it but since it was in pencil he got 0%

Maybe ask english head of dept,?

There is a possibilty examiner won't notice as its marked on a screen?

Would definitely tell someone at the school so they could help you
Original post by Jeff548
Oh ****.

Don't mean to scare you but my friend wrote in pencil for an s3 exam we had and actually got 100% when they marked it but since it was in pencil he got 0%

To be fair that was an s3 exam which counted for nothing they were trying to scare us into writing in pen.
Original post by Jeff548
Oh ****.

But like what can I even do? I read our papers get scanned onto a computer and sent off and apparently HB pencils can be seen as well as pens and thankfully I wrote in HB pencil, but I'm worried if they can't and Idk what to do :frown: I might ask my english teacher
Original post by Mystery.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like dying.

Original post by Mystery.
You shouldn't feel like dying. You've got everything sorted.

Please don't feel upset!!! You're cone gatherers must have been good?!?!? It was good vs evil?

To cheer you up: after the close reading everyone was telling my friend to go back and he thought they were trolling. After about 5 minutes he gave in and the head invigilator is waiting for him. Turns out he took his ANSWEr BOOKLEt WITH HIM instead of the question paper. Now this guy is a smart candidate aiming for 5A's so he was scared as f. Luckily, our school is pretty big and we hadn't gone inside yet and the invigilator saw that so let him off. He is a lucky guy!

You will be great! Focus on geography, RIGHT NOW!!!
Original post by Jeff548
Please don't feel upset!!! You're cone gatherers must have been good?!?!? It was good vs evil?

To cheer you up: after the close reading everyone was telling my friend to go back and he thought they were trolling. After about 5 minutes he gave in and the head invigilator is waiting for him. Turns out he took his ANSWEr BOOKLEt WITH HIM instead of the question paper. Now this guy is a smart candidate aiming for 5A's so he was scared as f. Luckily, our school is pretty big and we hadn't gone inside yet and the invigilator saw that so let him off. He is a lucky guy!

You will be great! Focus on geography, RIGHT NOW!!!

The last question was okay but the ones before it...
What did you say for Duror's an important character?
Reply 592
A friend of mine wrote in pencil for a lot of his exams last year. He did absolutely fine and got As for subjects he wrote in pencil. The examiners want you to do well - they don't want you to fail. I think it shows up easier on the scanner but it doesnt fade 100%. Even if it did, they would just mark your physical script I'm sure. In saying this - probably best to write in pen from now on so as not to cause any hassle.
Im a bit paranoid that when doing the essay, i wrote down Q1 in the margin instead of 2! Will it be okay considering i made it clear in my intro what question i was actually answering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't pleased with that close reading either tbh :frown:
But that's my strong point so I hope I've still managed to do well because my essay question didn't come up so I basically twisted the question completely
I also wasn't too pleased about cone gatherers, the 10 marker was good I just ran out of time so ended up writing rubbish in a rushed attempt to finish :frown:

Do you think I'll lose a lot of marks for crit essay because I answered the question which didn't really match my essay?

I thought other than the horrible tone question and the final question in close reading, the passages and the rest of the questions were okay :smile:
I didnt write the number to the question i was answering at all, will they just work it out? I also wrote in the close reading that it was a humorous instead of sarcastic tone, did anyone else write this? do you think it would get a mark?
Close reading was better than I expected, especially with question 8 and the comparison of the two passages. Done 'The Crater' short story for textual analysis and the moral theme question on poetry(Assisi) in section two, so glad it came up!!
the ta of duffy was so harsh omg!
mrs midas?!!!!
glad that I didn't do duffy poems this year...
Reply 598
I think I did decent overall, honestly just so happy that english is finally over and I never have to study it again!

Original post by ambermorris
I didnt write the number to the question i was answering at all, will they just work it out? I also wrote in the close reading that it was a humorous instead of sarcastic tone, did anyone else write this? do you think it would get a mark?

Oh I'm pretty sure I did humorous tone too so I hope it still gets a mark
Original post by ambermorris

I hope so, I said humorous tone aswell :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending