The Student Room Group

Preparing for BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing

Hi! I recently applied to study BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing. I applied to BCU and have been accepted :biggrin: !

My question is: What are some things I can do before joining that will help during my course?
I come from a humanities background, and I've recently graduated from a different university with an English Lit and Creative Writing BA (Hons) so I'm aware of how university runs and assignments etc so I am fine with that aspect.
However, the last time I did Science was my GCSEs in 2015 :eek: So I'm worried I won't be as knowledgable as most of my classmates :s-smilie: I also have no care experience...
But over the summer I'd like to get some of the basics learnt. What are some things I should look into that will be useful?
Thank you! :colondollar:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lolsde11
Hi! I recently applied to study BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing. I applied to BCU and have been accepted :biggrin: !

My question is: What are some things I can do before joining that will help during my course?
I come from a humanities background, and I've recently graduated from a different university with an English Lit and Creative Writing BA (Hons) so I'm aware of how university runs and assignments etc so I am fine with that aspect.
However, the last time I did Science was my GCSEs in 2015 :eek: So I'm worried I won't be as knowledgable as most of my classmates :s-smilie: I also have no care experience...
But over the summer I'd like to get some of the basics learnt. What are some things I should look into that will be useful?
Thank you! :colondollar:

I started my nursing degree in 2016 (I've now been qualified 4 years). I also come from a humanities background, previous degree being in German and History. I also hadn't done any sciences since GCSE.
From my experience, I would suggest that you really don't need to worry about the lack of sciences thing. Maybe look at anatomy and physiology - Ross&Wilson or Tortorra&Derrickson are good A&P books to start with, but don't get yourself hung up on learning everything in the textbook perfectly by the time you start - that's why basic A&P is part of the course!
As well as the Ross&Wilson A&P textbook, I also got a student nurse maths book,which was really helpful for working on the sorts of maths needed throughout the degree and in the real world of nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending