The Student Room Group

AS and A Level Chemistry

Hi there!

I'd like to take A Level in Chemistry as a private student. I come from a different system (I went to high school in Italy) and I am trying to understand how the system works... It seems that an A Level Qualification is composed of two parts: AS and A Level. Is it possible to study both modules in one year and sit the two exams together in May/June 2016?

Is it doable?

c
Original post by Catecatecate
Hi there!

I'd like to take A Level in Chemistry as a private student. I come from a different system (I went to high school in Italy) and I am trying to understand how the system works... It seems that an A Level Qualification is composed of two parts: AS and A Level. Is it possible to study both modules in one year and sit the two exams together in May/June 2016?

Is it doable?

c

Hi there first of all wow Italy? That sounds great. I've just done the AS part of the A-level. It consists of two exams and three pieces of mostly practical coursework. I believe the second year constists of the same.
There are three sub units in each unit. (One exam for each unit)

It's quite a lot of work just first year, well that's what I found anyway. You could struggle or could be alright. It depends on you as a person.

There'll be more work in the second year and I think trying to both in one year might be difficult and stressful due to the work load. The A2 adds on to what you learn in AS so doing it in one year may be hard incase you just don't understand something from AS and it's goes into even more detail for A2.

I hope this kind of helps?

Go to the college/sixth form and see what the chemistry teachers have to say about you doing two year In one year. They might not let you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi there, thank you for your help :smile:
I don't think I have a choice though... I am applying for Grad Medicine next year and I must retake A Level in Chemistry and get an A if I want to have a chance! I was just wondering how much work would it be. And I am also finishing my Phd... But, I am v determined!

Original post by Bakerstreetgirl
Hi there first of all wow Italy? That sounds great. I've just done the AS part of the A-level. It consists of two exams and three pieces of mostly practical coursework. I believe the second year constists of the same.
There are three sub units in each unit. (One exam for each unit)

It's quite a lot of work just first year, well that's what I found anyway. You could struggle or could be alright. It depends on you as a person.

There'll be more work in the second year and I think trying to both in one year might be difficult and stressful due to the work load. The A2 adds on to what you learn in AS so doing it in one year may be hard incase you just don't understand something from AS and it's goes into even more detail for A2.

I hope this kind of helps?

Go to the college/sixth form and see what the chemistry teachers have to say about you doing two year In one year. They might not let you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

Is it doable?

c

Firstly well done on deciding to study Chemistry while also finishing your Phd! - you must love learning :smile:

The good news is yes, you are able to complete the course and sit the exams in 2016, but as the syllabus is changing, you must sit ALL exams in 2016, as from then on the course will be different.

You would need to complete 4 theory units and 2 practical units if you want to gain your fast track A level Chemistry qualification. You are able to sit the exams for the written units at most exam centres in the UK, but the practical units need to be completed in a lab, so make sure you find a centre who can offer A level Chemistry Practical Workshops.

If you have any more questions, or would like some more information about our fast track A level Chemistry for distance learners, let me know.

Hope this helps
Matt - LearnOnline
Reply 4
Hi Matt!Thank you v much for your help :smile: I will apply for Grad. Medicine next year and I need to get my A Level Chemistry by summer 2016 (I need an A).

May I ask you how the practical workshops work? Are there tutorials beforehand? Once instructed, will I complete the task(s) independently and then my work will be assessed? Re specification: is there any difference between an OCR and an AQA specification for Chemistry?

Thanks!

C

Original post by LearnOnline
Firstly well done on deciding to study Chemistry while also finishing your Phd! - you must love learning :smile:

The good news is yes, you are able to complete the course and sit the exams in 2016, but as the syllabus is changing, you must sit ALL exams in 2016, as from then on the course will be different.

You would need to complete 4 theory units and 2 practical units if you want to gain your fast track A level Chemistry qualification. You are able to sit the exams for the written units at most exam centres in the UK, but the practical units need to be completed in a lab, so make sure you find a centre who can offer A level Chemistry Practical Workshops.

If you have any more questions, or would like some more information about our fast track A level Chemistry for distance learners, let me know.

Hope this helps
Matt - LearnOnline
Hi Matt!Thank you v much for your help :smile: I will apply for Grad. Medicine next year and I need to get my A Level Chemistry by summer 2016 (I need an A).

May I ask you how the practical workshops work? Are there tutorials beforehand? Once instructed, will I complete the task(s) independently and then my work will be assessed? Re specification: is there any difference between an OCR and an AQA specification for Chemistry?

Thanks!

C

Our practical workshops are designed ti give you lab experience before assessing you, so over the four days you will complete a number of practice experiments and tutorials from to get you comfortable in the lab and competent in the relevant disciplines. We have chosen the OCR Specification for Chemistry as we have found the course and the resources to lend themselves very well to distance learning.

Hope that helps

Matt - LearnOnline
Reply 6
That's really helpful!

I imagine practical skills training will be held in workshops towards the end of spring, when one would hypothethically have covered the theoretical units... is that right?

Also, where are the LearnOnline labs based? I live in Cambridge.

Thanks!

C

Original post by LearnOnline
Our practical workshops are designed ti give you lab experience before assessing you, so over the four days you will complete a number of practice experiments and tutorials from to get you comfortable in the lab and competent in the relevant disciplines. We have chosen the OCR Specification for Chemistry as we have found the course and the resources to lend themselves very well to distance learning.

Hope that helps

Matt - LearnOnline
That's really helpful!

I imagine practical skills training will be held in workshops towards the end of spring, when one would hypothethically have covered the theoretical units... is that right?

Also, where are the LearnOnline labs based? I live in Cambridge.

Thanks!

C

Afternoon,

Our Chemistry Practical Workshops are split into AS and A2, both of which are required to pass the A level.

We are based in the beautiful coastal National Park in Pembrokeshire, West Wales - with plenty of accommodation available from guest house to 5* resorts :smile:

AS Chemistry Workshop
26th 27th 28th October 2015

A2 Chemistry Workshop
18th, 19th, 20th February 2016

There is currently a place available for you, but places are filling up fast!

If you are planning to study A level Chemistry, our bundle courses include all of the theory and all of the practical workshops you need.

Anything else I can help you with, just ak

Matt - LearnOnline

Quick Reply

Latest