The Student Room Group

Maths vs Psychology A level

Hallo,
I’m choosing my A levels very soon, and I’m torn between Maths and Psychology. I’ve wanted to do Psychology ever since Year 8 (I was and am very interested in it) and was excited to take the A level. I also had a taster session in my school, and I enjoyed it. However, I have been told that universities don’t care for it, and I won’t be chosen for my universities of choice, and be dropped in favour of people who do more “valuable” subjects. I do like Maths, and I’m in the top set at school and get good grades, which means I also take Further Maths for GCSE. But I’m really not sure I like it enough for A level, even though my parents say that it’s the only sensible option.

So I don’t know whether I should go with the subject I personally find more interesting/fun but have never done before and isn’t worth anything on applications, or a subject I am already very good at + can achieve high grades in and is far more respected, but may not enjoy.
Original post by Polaris864
Hallo,
I’m choosing my A levels very soon, and I’m torn between Maths and Psychology. I’ve wanted to do Psychology ever since Year 8 (I was and am very interested in it) and was excited to take the A level. I also had a taster session in my school, and I enjoyed it. However, I have been told that universities don’t care for it, and I won’t be chosen for my universities of choice, and be dropped in favour of people who do more “valuable” subjects. I do like Maths, and I’m in the top set at school and get good grades, which means I also take Further Maths for GCSE. But I’m really not sure I like it enough for A level, even though my parents say that it’s the only sensible option.

So I don’t know whether I should go with the subject I personally find more interesting/fun but have never done before and isn’t worth anything on applications, or a subject I am already very good at + can achieve high grades in and is far more respected, but may not enjoy.

Whoever told you that Psychology "isn’t worth anything on applications" is talking absolute nonsense. What course would you ultimately be applying for at uni, and at which unis?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Whoever told you that Psychology "isn’t worth anything on applications" is talking absolute nonsense. What course would you ultimately be applying for at uni, and at which unis?

Hopefully either Psychiatry or Pathology, but either way I’d be going to med school. Which is why I would choose Biology and Chemistry as my other two A levels (we can only do three.)
i would look at the required or recommended A level subjects for the university course that you're interested in
Original post by Polaris864
Hopefully either Psychiatry or Pathology, but either way I’d be going to med school. Which is why I would choose Biology and Chemistry as my other two A levels (we can only do three.)

Take a look through "Entry requirements for UK medical schools, 2024 entry" here. Here are some random quotes for A level requriements, applicable to various medical schools:

"A-Level A*AA to include (a) biology or chemistry, (b) one more from biology, chemistry, economics, further maths, maths, physics, psychology, statistics, (c) any third reformed A-Level. Practical endorsements must be achieved for biology, chemistry and physics A-Levels."

"AAB including Chemistry or Biology, plus one of Chemistry, other science/Psychology/Maths/Computer Science."

"AAA including two from Biology, Chemistry and Psychology or AAB in three A-levels (as above) plus an EPQ, 4th AS-level or 4th A-level subject at B."

"A*AA at A-level, in three subjects including Chemistry or Biology and one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Psychology, but excluding General
Studies, Citizenship Studies, Critical Thinking or Global Perspectives. We will also consider AAA (as per subjects above) plus EPQ at grade B."

"AAA at A level including Chemistry or Biology and one of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology, Maths or Further Maths."

Do you still thing Psychology "isn’t worth anything on applications"? If you're interested in A level Psychology, then do it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest