The Student Room Group

chemical engineering

i'm in year 12 at the moment and i'm taking chem, physics, maths and further maths. out of all these subjects, chem and physics are my worst subjects for now and i'm wondering if it's a good idea to drop physics. (i've considered dropping physics and have discussed this with my parents but they won't let me drop it.)

i want to apply to universities in the uk for chem eng, so will dropping physics affect my chances of getting in/make me less competitive than the other students?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by adeline.g
i'm in year 12 at the moment and i'm taking chem, physics, maths and further maths. out of all these subjects, chem and physics are my worst subjects for now and i'm wondering if it's a good idea to drop physics. (i've considered dropping physics and have discussed this with my parents but they won't let me drop it.)

i want to apply to universities in the uk for chem eng, so will dropping physics affect my chances of getting in/make me less competitive than the other students?

Many universities consider Physics to be a useful A level to have for Chemical Engineering. For example, see these entry requirements for Chemical Engineering at a few different universities:

University of Birmingham: "AAA Including A level Mathematics and Chemistry or Physics" (source)
University of Manchester: "AAA including Mathematics and either Chemistry or Physics." (source)
Queen Mary, University of London: "Grades AAB at A-Level. This must include A-Level Mathematics, and Physics or Chemistry" (source)
Loughborough University: "AAB including Maths and at least one from Chemistry or Physics" (source)
Swansea University: "ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics) | Other recommended subject include: Physics, Further Mathematics, Design Technology, IT/Computing, Biology" (source)

However, not all so. For example:

University of Bath: "A*AA in three A levels including Chemistry and Mathematics." (source)
University of Edinburgh: "A Levels: AAA - ABB | The grades used to meet our entry requirements must include: A Levels: Mathematics and Chemistry at B" (source)
University of Southampton: "AAA including chemistry and mathematics" (source)
University of Sheffield: "AAA including Maths and a science or technology subject" (source)
University of Surrey: "Mathematics and Chemistry at grade B" (source)

I'm not aware of any university which mandates Physics at A level for Chemical Engineering, but it may be that your application would be less competitive at a university which recommends it.

However, the most important criterion will be your grades. Note that none of the above require the four A levels that you're studying. Starting with four with the intention of dropping the one you're least comfortable with is a reasonable strategy. Taking four for all two years is normally a complete waste of time, and can often be detrimental as the fourth A level reduces the time you have available for the three which universities actually care about (and base their offers on). A*AA would meet the entry requirements of all of the above; AAAA would not.

Quick Reply

Latest