The Student Room Group

How to go from C to A* in Physics?

I do OCR A Physics and got a C in AS. I'm doing A2 now and I'm considering resitting both exams.

How can I achieve a high grade when I'm focused on A? And when should I start revising for AS and A2?

A* will be a tough ask. But is it possible?
Original post by AverageGuy
I do OCR A Physics and got a C in AS. I'm doing A2 now and I'm considering resitting both exams.

How can I achieve a high grade when I'm focused on A? And when should I start revising for AS and A2?

Hello,
I've also done the OCR Physics A board this year and I was able to get an A at AS level.
If you did the exam this year in 2015, I can understand why you may have performed poorly. The exams were absolute rubbish and bore no resemblance to the textbooks.

Some general tips would be:
-Learn the definitions, available with a quick google search. These are key. Get a friend or family member to test you on them, every day, for months.
-Past papers. Seriously. Do all of them, then do half of those again.
-Don't just rely on the OCR Heinemann A book with their "exam cafe" at the end.
-Preferably have done some maths Mechanics.

I would retake, I am afraid I can't comment on how to help with this other than that I'd ensure you get a decent mark in the A2!
Reply 2

First of all what are your UMS? You'll probably have to retake some units if you don't want to be having to work up to 100% at A2...
What the guy above me said.
Physicsmathstutor is really useful in resources. Do all physics questions.
Original post by davidmb19
What the guy above me said.
Physicsmathstutor is really useful in resources. Do all physics questions.

Pretty sure she's a girl...
Retake both papers no question. And work you f****** ass off. I aint going to sugarcoat it, put in the time, do the work.
Original post by Hydeman
Pretty sure she's a girl...

Not here. phoenixsilver
She commented at the same time as me.
Original post by davidmb19
Not here. phoenixsilver
She commented at the same time as me.

Fair enough. :smile: That was an honest mistake.
Loving how everyone piles in with one-liner advice after I typed a decently caring response having found this in the "Unanswered Threads" section...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by phoenixsilver
Hello,
I've also done the OCR Physics A board this year and I was able to get an A at AS level.
If you did the exam this year in 2015, I can understand why you may have performed poorly. The exams were absolute rubbish and bore no resemblance to the textbooks.

Some general tips would be:
-Learn the definitions, available with a quick google search. These are key. Get a friend or family member to test you on them, every day, for months.
-Past papers. Seriously. Do all of them, then do half of those again.
-Don't just rely on the OCR Heinemann A book with their "exam cafe" at the end.
-Preferably have done some maths Mechanics.

I would retake, I am afraid I can't comment on how to help with this other than that I'd ensure you get a decent mark in the A2!

Thanks for the reply and congrats for getting an A in Physics. Last year, I learnt all the definitions and not many came up on the Mechanics paper. I did all the past papers once. I realised a trend that most papers have the same style of questions. But the 2015 paper was very different as there were more wordy questions and less maths based questions.

I felt I could have done so much better on both papers as I expected an A, but the Mechanics paper took me by surprise.
Thanks for the reply and congrats for getting an A in Physics. Last year, I learnt all the definitions and not many came up on the Mechanics paper. I did all the past papers once. I realised a trend that most papers have the same style of questions. But the 2015 paper was very different as there were more wordy questions and less maths based questions.

I felt I could have done so much better on both papers as I expected an A, but the Mechanics paper took me by surprise.

I know. I expected much lower than an A and was surprised to receive it. They seem to have thrown OCR to the dogs this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest