The Student Room Group

Mature student studying physics

Hi,
My name is Daniel, I'm 22 and I've decided to follow my passion for physics and I'm aiming to study physics at university. I'm currently studying math, physics and chemistry at GCSE level. I plan to start studying A-level physics, math, further math and possibly chemistry too in September. I'm here to talk to like-minded people and learn how about better ways to study my chosen subjects. I would love to talk about physics, astronomy or anything interesting. I enjoy studying physics because it explains things that I'm interested in on the most fundamental level.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Good for you Daniel and I hope it works out.

Do start to look at uni entry requirements because most (maybe all) will want GCSE C/4 ENGLISH or an equivalent qualification showing proficiency in English if you haven't already got that. maybe ring a few unis up and ask questions.

It might be worth thinking about doing an Access to HE course at college instead of A levels - these courses are designed for mature students 19 and over and last one year. https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
Reply 2
You are not very mature! Are you also taking English language? @MindMax2000 is looking to study a STEM degree as a mature student so might have some suggestions.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
You are not very mature! Are you also taking English language? @MindMax2000 is looking to study a STEM degree as a mature student so might have some suggestions.

I've already passed my English language GCSE and got a grade 6
Reply 4
Considering your interests and the path you're embarking on, my advice would be to continue nurturing your curiosity about the universe. Engage with online resources, join physics forums, and participate in discussions like these to broaden your understanding and stay inspired. You might also want to look into online courses from platforms like Coursera or edX that offer introductory lectures on various topics in physics and astronomy.
Reply 5
Original post by Daniel_phys
Hi,
My name is Daniel, I'm 22 and I've decided to follow my passion for physics and I'm aiming to study physics at university. I'm currently studying math, physics and chemistry at GCSE level. I plan to start studying A-level physics, math, further math and possibly chemistry too in September. I'm here to talk to like-minded people and learn how about better ways to study my chosen subjects. I would love to talk about physics, astronomy or anything interesting. I enjoy studying physics because it explains things that I'm interested in on the most fundamental level.

Hi Daniel fair play to you for learning physics. My daughter is at uni and applying for a phd in particle physics this year. She also did the exact same alevels. She started out in astronomy going to the local astro club, and she then did a work experience in particle physics and cosmology at notts uni in year 12, and she changed direction completely to particle. Shes at Lancaster uni. I remember when she used to learn at home. Lots and lots of postit notes lol. She wished she had a head start of python as she started the degree with no knowledge at all, and theres a lot of free courses on line to learn the basics. Shes also learned c++ this last year as well. So in between the first and second year of alevel, its worth having a look at python. For her personal statement she also listened to PBS spacetime podcast, and did a chemistry MOOC in the summer, again free.
Original post by ajj2000

Thanks for the mention.

Also thank you for saying 22 is not very mature, whilst saying that I'm going to study a STEM degree as a mature student.

@Daniel_phys Have you found an offline college that accepts you yet or do you intend to do your A Levels online?

Quick Reply

Latest