The Student Room Group

An exam that didn’t go as planned

I sat an exam today and it really didn’t go well for me. I need a an A and 2 Bs to get into my firm choice of university. I am curious to know if the exam that didn’t go well for me caused me to get a C at A level but I got an A* and an A in my other subjects would that be any possibility for me to still get into my firm choice.
Original post by Loreleicoyle
I sat an exam today and it really didn’t go well for me. I need a an A and 2 Bs to get into my firm choice of university. I am curious to know if the exam that didn’t go well for me caused me to get a C at A level but I got an A* and an A in my other subjects would that be any possibility for me to still get into my firm choice.

If you don't meet the offer you don't get in.
Original post by Loreleicoyle

If your offer grades are ABB but achieve A*AC then your have not met your offer conditions and will not have you firm place automatically confirmed on results day.

What will happen is the university will confirm the places of all offer-holders who have met their offer grades (be they firm offer-holders or insurance offer-holders, where their firm choice didn't accept them), and will they look to see if there's any space left on the course. If not, then you're out of luck.

However, if there is still space, then the university might look at "near miss" candidates (as you would be) to see whether they'd be prepared to confirm their place, even though they missed their offer grades. In this scenario, whether of not they confirmed your place might depend on what subject the C was in, and whether that was a key subject for the course.
Reply 3
Original post by CompostComposer
If you don't meet the offer you don't get in.

Wrong - it depends how many meet their offers. Every year people who miss offers do get accepted.
Reply 4
Thank you so much! I still have another two exams to sit for physics (the subject I struggled with in the test today) and I’m sitting on a B in it currently from last year. (An A in module 1 and a C in module 2.) I don’t do well with stress and I let that get to me today. The course I am looking to get is English literature so physics doesn’t have much relevance to the course. I’m panicked now, not a great start to my exams.

Original post by DataVenia
If your offer grades are ABB but achieve A*AC then your have not met your offer conditions and will not have you firm place automatically confirmed on results day.

What will happen is the university will confirm the places of all offer-holders who have met their offer grades (be they firm offer-holders or insurance offer-holders, where their firm choice didn't accept them), and will they look to see if there's any space left on the course. If not, then you're out of luck.

However, if there is still space, then the university might look at "near miss" candidates (as you would be) to see whether they'd be prepared to confirm their place, even though they missed their offer grades. In this scenario, whether of not they confirmed your place might depend on what subject the C was in, and whether that was a key subject for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest