The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
young_free
With which party would university be free?

None. The lib dems say they will scrap tuition fees by taxing the rich. However, they also say that they will use this money for a load of other policies, the opposition say that they have overestimated what they can achieve with this money.
Reply 21
mikesgt2
Well, that is your personal opinion. My point is that you may not have a party who you agree with totally, but you must have a party who you agree with more than all the others. I think you should vote for that party rather than use the excuse that you are 'dissilusioned with the political situation.'

but what i mean is that for example i may be vehemently anti europe and want total withdraw, that leaves me with the further right parties who may have right wing policies on race etc which i may disagree with. to balance policies when im highly polarised on one issue is difficult, which you can see is happening at the moment with the anti-war stance
Reply 22
MattG
but what i mean is that for example i may be vehemently anti europe and want total withdraw, that leaves me with the further right parties who may have right wing policies on race etc which i may disagree with. to balance policies when im highly polarised on one issue is difficult, which you can see is happening at the moment with the anti-war stance

Yeah, I understand your point now. That is one of the problems with making a protest vote which you just have to live with in many ways. Voting on a single issue is a personal opinion and one of the consequences of that choice will probably be not getting the exact domestic policies ou would hope for. I personally do not see the point in an anti-war protest vote, the war is over and nothing can change it now.
Reply 23
mikesgt2
I personally do not see the point in an anti-war protest vote, the war is over and nothing can change it now.

Yeah, I think we should wait around for the next time we decide to declare an unprovoked war on another country, practiacally launching it into civil war. And then after thats happened, we should just tell ourselves 'nothing can change it now'. And then wait around again for the next time we decide to declare an unprovoked war on another country, and then tell ourselves 'nothing can change it now'. And then again, and again, and again..........cretin.
Reply 24
kingslaw
Yeah, I think we should wait around for the next time we decide to declare an unprovoked war on another country, practiacally launching it into civil war. And then after thats happened, we should just tell ourselves 'nothing can change it now'. And then wait around again for the next time we decide to declare an unprovoked war on another country, and then tell ourselves 'nothing can change it now'. And then again, and again, and again..........cretin.

I take your point but what is it that you propose we do? Do we all vote for the respect party, who campaign solely on Iraq and then when they get into government, Britain pulls out of Iraq? I understand your anoyance, but what is the ultimate purpose of a protest vote? I think the government and the nation have learnt their lesson from Iraq, what do you think that a few people voting for the respect party is going to achieve?
Reply 25
I voted English Democrat.
Reply 26
kingslaw

Which entirely ignores the point that Europe has about as much influence in Iraq as my cat making casting a protest vote in favor of an anti-war MEP on this one single issue about as useful as a suck in blow football.........buffoon!
Reply 27
kingslaw

yes i agree, but are you voting for a one trick pony?, which is my opinion on the UKIP in particular.

you voted RESPECT didnt you? would you be happy with a total and immediate withdraw of UK forces? leading to more unstable areas?
Reply 28
MattG
yes i agree, but are you voting for a one trick pony?, which is my opinion on the UKIP in particular.

you voted RESPECT didnt you? would you be happy with a total and immediate withdraw of UK forces? leading to more unstable areas?

Who the hell is "respect"? Is this a new party or just a single issue campaigner? Never heard of them before.
Reply 29
mikesgt2
I take your point but what is it that you propose we do? Do we all vote for the respect party, who campaign solely on Iraq and then when they get into government, Britain pulls out of Iraq? I understand your anoyance, but what is the ultimate purpose of a protest vote? I think the government and the nation have learnt their lesson from Iraq, what do you think that a few people voting for the respect party is going to achieve?

If people do not vote for Labour in the European elections on the basis that they went to war, then the Labour Party, and any other future government will realise (or come closer to realising) that to go to war on such dubious evidence and motives when the majority of the country do not support you is bad politics. Maybe the Government has learnt is lesson - but theres no harm in giving it another good kick in the b*llocks just to make sure.
Reply 30
Howard
Which entirely ignores the point that Europe has about as much influence in Iraq as my cat making casting a protest vote in favor of an anti-war MEP on this one single issue about as useful as a suck in blow football.........buffoon!

For someone who is supposedly poltically savvy, you're showing yourself to be very naive. The people voting in these elections are not thinking about whether that party in Europe is best for them! No-one cares how useful these MEP's will be once in Brussells, people are more bothered about the publicity it will give each party, or the pressures it will create on the Government back here! Do you think everyone who voted for Prolife are really voting for Prolife on the basis that they will do some good in the EU - which in all honesty still has very little real power, or at least the MEPs still have very little real power. This is about publicity and creating a platform for more publicity in the run up for next years General Election, or any other major catastrophe the government runs into between now and then.

European Union? What European Union?
Reply 31
kingslaw
For someone who is supposedly poltically savvy, you're showing yourself to be very naive. The people voting in these elections are not thinking about whether that party in Europe is best for them! No-one cares how useful these MEP's will be once in Brussells, people are more bothered about the publicity it will give each party, or the pressures it will create on the Government back here! Do you think everyone who voted for Prolife are really voting for Prolife on the basis that they will do some good in the EU - which in all honesty still has very little real power, or at least the MEPs still have very little real power. This is about publicity and creating a platform for more publicity in the run up for next years General Election, or any other major catastrophe the government runs into between now and then.

European Union? What European Union?

Yes. Stupid post really. Wasn't thinking. Bad brain day. It happens man!
Reply 32
Howard
Yes. Stupid post really. Wasn't thinking. Bad brain day. It happens man!

Wow, a retraction from Howard! Someones been on the magic juice methinks. Either that or your getting soft in your old age.
Reply 33
Can anyone tell me what kind of a reputation the English Democrat policy have (if any!?)? I voted for them purely because some of their policies were quite close to my political beliefs, otherwise I know nothing about them.
Reply 34
kingslaw
Wow, a retraction from Howard! Someones been on the magic juice methinks. Either that or your getting soft in your old age.

Well, been a long day.........not my finely tuned self I'm afraid. Altzhemers perhaps?
Reply 35
ben3085
Can anyone tell me what kind of a reputation the English Democrat policy have (if any!?)? I voted for them purely because some of their policies were quite close to my political beliefs, otherwise I know nothing about them.

It would be sensible of me to go onto their website and see their actual policies, but it'd be easier for me to simply call you a racist...(JOKE)
Reply 36
mikesgt2
If not, get down to the polling station now, it is your democratic duty!

I certainly did, my first time. Seems a lot of middle aged people I know have given up on the politicians. Not many of them voting this year for the first time ever. "All politicians are the same, they say one thing when they want to get in, then another when they are in."
Reply 37
ben3085

Very new party. Set up by a doctor I think about 2 years ago. Basically they are (or would like to be) the English equivalent of the SNP. Don't know much about their political platform (other than the obvious divorce of England from the rest of the UK and (possibly?) Europe

Membership: 2 men and a Hampster living somewhere in Dorset. Apparently.
Reply 38
kingslaw
It would be sensible of me to go onto their website and see their actual policies, but it'd be easier for me to simply call you a racist...(JOKE)
So they've got a rep for being quite fascist then?

On immigration they said they favoured the Canadian points system. I was looking for a more firm (yet fair) approach than Labour to immigration, but perhaps not as extreme as it seems I have voted....their website hides it well.
Reply 39
ben3085
So they've got a rep for being quite fascist then?

On immigration they said they favoured the Canadian points system. I was looking for a more firm (yet fair) approach than Labour to immigration, but perhaps not as extreme as it seems I have voted....their website hides it well.

They seem to focus very heavily on the creation of an English Parliament (to counter the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly). On everything else I'm guessing they're pretty much Tory.

Latest

Trending

Trending