The Student Room Group

How is Sunak doing as PM?

I am just curious how would you rate Sunak’s premiership, and If you would vote conservative next election?
Original post by Kingdragon
I am just curious how would you rate Sunak’s premiership, and If you would vote conservative next election?

Not great in my view, net migration is at a staggering 700,000, double what is was pre covid, far too much for what Britain can handle, economic growth is stagnant is still relativity high. The Conservatives in general are a mess and deserve to and will lose the next election.
Reply 2
About as well as any politically aware person would have predicted in October 2022. He is a man without any sense of vision, any serious policies, and lacks the spine to control a political party that places its internal squabbles about the interests of the country.

I would not consider voting Conservative. This is not just out of ideological opposition but I am too much of a patriot to vote for a political party that has vandalised Britain over the last 13 years.
Original post by Gazpacho.
About as well as any politically aware person would have predicted in October 2022. He is a man without any sense of vision, any serious policies, and lacks the spine to control a political party that places its internal squabbles about the interests of the country.

I would not consider voting Conservative. This is not just out of ideological opposition but I am too much of a patriot to vote for a political party that has vandalised Britain over the last 13 years.

As someone who would generally align with Conservative values, I too could not see myself voting Conservatives next year as well. As you put it, the vandalising of Britain as well as their general behaviour and attitude (particularly during Covid), means they lose my vote. The Conservatives know they will lose the next election, it will be interesting to see how or if they can rebuild when they spend time out of office.
Reply 4
Original post by Kingdragon

Pretty poor.

Sunak is a manager without much ideological grounding or vision which has meant inconsistent policy and an absense of risk taking. Unfortunately, this has been combined with governing a divided party (only ~137 MP's are after the 2016 reallignment) and worse, he has sorrounded himself with people like him (Cleverley and Hunt) meaning that he can't delegate meaningful policy.

He has said the right things on Rwanda but one gets the impression he's a passenger on this issue rather than believes in culling asylum or social conservatism himself.
Reply 5
Original post by TomPhillips12
Not great in my view, net migration is at a staggering 700,000, double what is was pre covid, far too much for what Britain can handle, economic growth is stagnant is still relativity high. The Conservatives in general are a mess and deserve to and will lose the next election.

I am surprised the Tories have gone with these figures. That 700,000 includes students, most of which will leave after their degree. Most other countries don't count students in their migration figures. The genuine migration figures are much lower. Similarly, the illegal boats that Sunak is obsessed with count for a tiny minority of the migration figures, the rest being made up of legal routes. Sure, there is work to do but the headline figure is misleading.

I think he has done reasonably well given the hand he has to play. But he doesn't stand for much and is surrounded by corrupt money grabbing selfish fill your own boots types. Perhaps he is also one himself? I certainly don't think he cares about the have-nots.

Time for a change.
Reply 6
Original post by TomPhillips12

Is migration the only issue for those of you who are conservative?
Reply 7
Original post by michaelhw
Is migration the only issue for those of you who are conservative?

No.

For me it's a second order issue but that does not mean it's something one would not amend to create our desired society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending