The Student Room Group

LaGrange Multiplier Question HELP! <- What am I doing wrong?

Please help on where I am going wrong.

Question is:

T=x2+sin2θz,z=2x2sin2θ+1T = x^2 +sin^2\theta -z, z = 2x^2sin^2\theta + 1

Use Lagrange Multipliers to find out its critical points.

My working out.

This formed

L(x,θ,λ)=x2+sin2θλ(2x2sin2θ+1)[br][br]Lx=2xλ(4xsin2θ)[br]Lθ=2cosθsinθλ(4x2cosθsinθ)[br]Lλ=2x2sin2θ1[br][br]CriticalwhenLx=Lθ=Lλ=0 L(x,\theta,\lambda) = x^2 +sin^2\theta -\lambda(2x^2sin^2\theta + 1)[br][br]L_x = 2x - \lambda(4xsin^2\theta)[br]L_\theta = 2cos\theta sin\theta - \lambda(4x^2cos\theta sin\theta)[br]L_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1[br][br]Critical when L_x= L_\theta = L_\lambda = 0

First Equation:

2xλ(4xsin2θ)=0[br][br]2x(12λsin2θ)=0[br][br]x=0or12λsin2θ=0[br][br]sox=0andsin2θ=12λ 2x - \lambda(4xsin^2\theta) = 0[br][br]2x(1-2\lambda sin^2\theta) = 0[br][br]x = 0 or 1 - 2\lambda sin^2\theta = 0 [br][br]so x=0 and sin^2\theta = \frac{1}{2\lambda}

Second Equation:

Lθ=2cosθsinθλ(4x2cosθsinθ)=0[br][br]Divideby2cosθsinθ[br][br]Givesλ=12x2 L_\theta = 2cos\theta sin\theta - \lambda(4x^2cos\theta sin\theta) = 0[br][br]Divide by 2cos\theta sin\theta[br][br]Gives \lambda = \frac{1}{2x^2}

Final Equation:

Lλ=2x2sin2θ1=0[br][br]RearrangingGives:sin2θ=12x2L_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1 = 0[br][br]Rearranging Gives: sin^2\theta = \frac{-1}{2x^2}

Now this doesn't solve for some reason.

Could not upload the question for some reason due to server connection problem.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mathsRus
Please help on where I am going wrong.

Question is:

T=x2+sin2θz,z=2x2sin2θ+1T = x^2 +sin^2\theta -z, z = 2x^2sin^2\theta + 1

Use Lagrange Multipliers to find out its critical points.

My working out.

This formed

L(x,θ,λ)=x2+sin2θλ(2x2sin2θ+1)[br][br]Lx=2xλ(4xsin2θ)[br]Lθ=2cosθsinθλ(4x2cosθsinθ)[br]Lλ=2x2sin2θ1[br][br]CriticalwhenLx=Lθ=Lλ=0 L(x,\theta,\lambda) = x^2 +sin^2\theta -\lambda(2x^2sin^2\theta + 1)[br][br]L_x = 2x - \lambda(4xsin^2\theta)[br]L_\theta = 2cos\theta sin\theta - \lambda(4x^2cos\theta sin\theta)[br]L_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1[br][br]Critical when L_x= L_\theta = L_\lambda = 0

First Equation:

2xλ(4xsin2θ)=0[br][br]2x(12λsin2θ)=0[br][br]x=0or12λsin2θ=0[br][br]sox=0andsin2θ=12λ 2x - \lambda(4xsin^2\theta) = 0[br][br]2x(1-2\lambda sin^2\theta) = 0[br][br]x = 0 or 1 - 2\lambda sin^2\theta = 0 [br][br]so x=0 and sin^2\theta = \frac{1}{2\lambda}

Second Equation:

Lθ=2cosθsinθλ(4x2cosθsinθ)=0[br][br]Divideby2cosθsinθ[br][br]Givesλ=12x2 L_\theta = 2cos\theta sin\theta - \lambda(4x^2cos\theta sin\theta) = 0[br][br]Divide by 2cos\theta sin\theta[br][br]Gives \lambda = \frac{1}{2x^2}

Final Equation:

Lλ=2x2sin2θ1=0[br][br]RearrangingGives:sin2θ=12x2L_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1 = 0[br][br]Rearranging Gives: sin^2\theta = \frac{-1}{2x^2}

Now this doesn't solve for some reason.

Could not upload the question for some reason due to server connection problem.

Thanks

T is a function of x, z and theta

Lamda is a parameter... You are differentiating with respect to lamda

Mine solves but I need some range in theta
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
T is a function of x, z and theta

Lamda is a parameter... You are differentiating with respect to lamda

So my L_\lambda should not be there?

and the additional information is just x, theta and z take real values.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
So my L_\lambda
should not be there?

well I am trying to follow your workings because there several different ways you can set your work

If you work a Lagrangian L, the last equation it merely gives your constraint (trivial to even bother to write it.

In this problem there should be 3 equations from partial differentiation
diff wrt x
diff wrt z
diff wrt theta

PLUS the constraint equation

4 equations and 4 unknowns, x, z, theta and lamda

Is there a range in the value of theta in the problem?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
well I am trying to follow your workings because there several different ways you can set your work

If you work a Lagrangian L, the last equation it merely gives your constraint (trivial to even bother to write it.

In this problem there should be 3 equations from partial differentiation
diff wrt x
diff wrt z
diff wrt theta

PLUS the constraint equation

4 equations and 4 unknowns, x, z, theta and lamda

Is there a range in the value of theta in the problem?

nope no range given so I guess the first value....

so there should also be L_z = -1?
Reply 5
nope no range given so I guess the first value....

so there should also be L_z = -1
?

the partial differentiation wrt to z simply yields lamda = -1

then the rest is trivial so long as you have a sensible range for the values of theta
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
the partial differentiation wrt to z simply yields lamda = -1

then the rest is trivial so long as you have a sensible range for the values of theta

so is this correct?

[br][br]Tx=2x[br][br]Tθ=2sinθcosθ[br][br]Tz=1[br][br]Tλ=2x2sin2θ1 [br][br]T_x = 2x[br][br]T_\theta = 2sin\theta cos\theta[br][br]T_z = -1[br][br]T_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1
Reply 7
so is this correct?

[br][br]Tx=2x[br][br]Tθ=2sinθcosθ[br][br]Tz=1[br][br]Tλ=2x2sin2θ1 [br][br]T_x = 2x[br][br]T_\theta = 2sin\theta cos\theta[br][br]T_z = -1[br][br]T_\lambda = -2x^2sin^2\theta - 1

this is my partial solution ...
I hope there are no errors

EDIT It will not let me upload!!! It is your unlucky day..
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
this is my partial solution ...
I hope there are no errors

EDIT It will not let me upload!!! It is your unlucky day..

well.....any other ways? or maybe upload whenever the server is fixed
Reply 9
well.....any other ways? or maybe upload whenever the server is fixed

There is something wrong with TSR uploading images ...

I wrote a partial solution about 2/3 of the way but I I cannot upload until then

Alternative is to email me in my website's email and I will attach back the solution
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm

I wrote a partial solution about 2/3 of the way but I I cannot upload until then

Alternative is to email me in my website's email and I will attach back the solution

ok I will do that
Reply 11
Original post by TeeEm

Sent an email from your website

Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm

Oh I see what you meant.

For some reason, I don't know why I did not recognize this.
Reply 13
Oh I see what you meant.

For some reason, I don't know why I did not recognize this.

I hope you understand my method

Or you can call it the Lagrangian if you prefer

Quick Reply

Latest