The Student Room Group

Further Maths Integration (What's wrong with my method)

I was doing this question and achieved an answer, which is wrong due to using the wrong method (I was tempted to use arcosh but always see hyperbolic substitution on these questions so assumed it was that).
And obviously got a different answer but am still not sure where in my workings I went wrong to actually get an answer. Can anyone help spot my mistake(s)?
Reply 1
Screenshot_20230511-082356_Drive.jpg20230511_082443.jpgScreenshot_20230511-082404_Drive.jpg
Reply 2
You forgot to square the multiplier on cosh(u) when you squared (x+1). You'd need to use a different substitution to get the 4cosh^2(u), which would also then change your value for dx/du.
Reply 3
Original post by Interea
You forgot to square the multiplier on cosh(u) when you squared (x+1). You'd need to use a different substitution to get the 4cosh^2(u), which would also then change your value for dx/du.

Ahh I see. Although surely i could just change it to x+1=2coshu. All that will affect is the constant on the outside and it will still work using my method no?
Reply 4
Original post by Arconik
Ahh I see. Although surely i could just change it to x+1=2coshu. All that will affect is the constant on the outside and it will still work using my method no?

At the end
u = arcosh(...)
as per the mark scheme
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
At the end
u = arcosh(...)
as per the mark scheme

Ahhh I see! Thanks for your help 😁

Quick Reply

Latest