Jesus **** lol. is this A level stuff or sumn? I am so confused lol

nah GCSE
is it like completing the square?
idk haven't done maths in 2 years
Reply 4
Original post by louisa.
is it like completing the square?
idk haven't done maths in 2 years

yeah it is except me and my friends worked out the answer but for some reason the actual answer was different to what we got it was like (2x+3)-2. Anyways it came up on our mock exam today so we just memorised the correct answer
Original post by dilsheen
yeah it is except me and my friends worked out the answer but for some reason the actual answer was different to what we got it was like (2x+3)-2. Anyways it came up on our mock exam today so we just memorised the correct answer

lol no clue
good luckk tho
image.jpg
can someone help with this i know it’s wrong but i don’t know what i did wrong

Usually u would be right but since the question says in the form (ax +b)2 +c there's no scalar multiplier outside the brackets. So the a^2 has to be 4, which means the b has to be 3 to make the 12x, and the c is -2 to make the 7
OMFG We're not doing this kind of question in our GCSE"s thank god lol. We obviously are doing complex algebra, but nothing like this complex brain boggling wierdness
You made a small mistake in your calculation. When completing the square, you correctly added 9/2 to the expression, but you forgot to subtract 9/2 after multiplying by 4. Here's the corrected working:

Factor out the coefficient of x^2, which is 4:
4(x^2 + 3x) + 7

Take half of the coefficient of x, which is 3, and square it to get 9/4:
4(x^2 + 3x + 9/4) + 7 - 9

Rewrite the first three terms as a perfect square:
4(x + 3/2)^2 - 2

So the correct answer is 4(x + 3/2)^2 - 2, which is the same as the expression you got, but without the extra factor of 4/4.
Reply 9

Yes that’s the answer, here’s my working out to it :smile: Hope it helps!
90E0673D-AE0B-4899-9D09-7CAD34D484CE.jpeg
Reply 10
Original post by dxnixl
Yes that’s the answer, here’s my working out to it :smile: Hope it helps!
90E0673D-AE0B-4899-9D09-7CAD34D484CE.jpeg

thanks, i forgot about this, but now its made a lot more sense
hello! this really helped me with completing the square, school made it seem a lot more complicated than it actually is lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6apvTv2Rc
Which paper is this OP?

Quick Reply

Latest