The Student Room Group

Acid-Base question HELP!

A mixture of 20cm3 of 1.0moldm-3 of HCl and 10cm3 of 1.0moldm-3 of NaOH .is the PH a) 0b) 0.30c) 0.48d) 7

why is the answer c. I saw that somebody else answered this question on here but I don't understand the way they have worked it out! can anybody help please?

thank you
Original post by ahjinayo
A mixture of 20cm3 of 1.0moldm-3 of HCl and 10cm3 of 1.0moldm-3 of NaOH .is the PH a) 0b) 0.30c) 0.48d) 7

why is the answer c. I saw that somebody else answered this question on here but I don't understand the way they have worked it out! can anybody help please?

thank you

Are you kidding me multiple choice, is this a level
Reply 2
Original post by ElectronDonor
Are you kidding me multiple choice, is this a level

yes, do you know how to answer the question?
yes, do you know how to answer the question?

Yes i do, you are so lucky, a levels must be a peace of cake now

thank you

What is the whole question
Reply 5
What is the whole question

that is the whole question, you have to work out the Ph from the information given which I included in my 1st comment.
that is the whole question, you have to work out the Ph from the information given which I included in my 1st comment.

Have you done logs
Reply 7
Have you done logs

yes
Reply 8
Have you done logs

I know that the 1st thing I have to do is to work out the moles.

moles of hcl= 20/1000x1.0= 0.02
moles of naoh= 10/1000x1.0=0.01

where do I go from there ?
I know that the 1st thing I have to do is to work out the moles.

moles of hcl= 20/1000x1.0= 0.02
moles of naoh= 10/1000x1.0=0.01

where do I go from there ?

Work out pH of just hcl and naoh
Reply 10

that doesn't give me the correct answer if I just work out the Ph's
Reply 11

Can you explain to me how to work out this problem please?
Subtract the no. Of moles of NaOH from HCL to get Xs H+. Then divide by your new volume (vol HCL + vol NaOH) and log that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by AlexSaxton
Subtract the no. Of moles of NaOH from HCL to get Xs H+. Then divide by your new volume (vol HCL + vol NaOH) and log that

Posted from TSR Mobile

why do you have to subtract the moles of naoh from hcl?
Because when HCL and NaOH react they react one to one and if there's more of one than the other, the one in excess will have some left over depending on the amount it has been used up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by AlexSaxton
Because when HCL and NaOH react they react one to one and if there's more of one than the other, the one in excess will have some left over depending on the amount it has been used up

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much for your help, you explained in a way that makes sense.
Also do you know why the answer is this.. see below
0.01 mol of each compound is heated separated with excess sodium dichromate which compound reduces the largest amount of sodium dichromate. A. Ethanol B. Ethanal C. Ethanoic Acid D. Ethanoyl chloride the answer is ethanol,why?
thank you so much for your help, you explained in a way that makes sense.
Also do you know why the answer is this.. see below
0.01 mol of each compound is heated separated with excess sodium dichromate which compound reduces the largest amount of sodium dichromate. A. Ethanol B. Ethanal C. Ethanoic Acid D. Ethanoyl chloride the answer is ethanol,why?

I'm not sure 100% but It could be due to the lone pair in ethanol so it attracts the electrons more maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending