The Student Room Group

Did God or the Big Bang create the universe? (vague title)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyx
Something cannot exist within space if it does not exist within time...

Something cannot exist within time if it does not exist within space...

Make sense?

No. Abstract objects like numbers don't need to exist in either space or time considering they are immaterial and changeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 321
Original post by Slipandsquirm
No. Abstract objects like numbers don't need to exist in either space or time considering they are immaterial and changeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly :smile:

They don't exist in space, so they don't exist in time.
Reply 322
No longer responding, I cannot answer in full right now
Original post by Kyx
Exactly :smile:

They don't exist in space, so they don't exist in time.

Oh I misread your initial reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Oh I misread your initial reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok :smile:
Original post by Foxman
I'm fairly sure you have to be either misinformed or a genius comparable to Einstein or Feynman to think that general relativity follows common sense and logic. Things like bending of spacetime and gravitational singularities lead to some very peculiar mathematical results like various quantities getting infinite values.

Furthermore, due to limitations of GR, modern cosmology can't actually address the first brief moments of the big bang by other than speculative extrapolations. This is because GR is only a classical theory and doesn't correctly describe gravity on quantum-level.

And even if this wasn't the case and we had a working theory of quantum gravity, it's arguably too vague to say that time "had a beginning" in the big bang. The big bang originated from a singularity of infinite mass-density and in conditions like this, space and time become fuzzy as equations lead to undefined outcomes such as division by zero. So instead of saying that time as a dimension had a beginning (as the concept of beginning implies a point on a timeline), it would be more accurate to say that our universe had a beginning.

prsom

I'll reply to you about time, maths etc. as soon as I have time :tongue:
I believe in the idea of the Big Bang.
Original post by Kyx
I read the Bible, since I am into fantasy fiction, and the Bible is the most popular book in that genre.

However, I was greatly disappointed. Maybe its because it has been written by multiple authors, or because it claims that the start of the story is the start of the universe. Or maybe it is because it introduces too many character all at once, most of which play no important part in the story whatsoever.

I found the main character, God, to be not very relatable. He had a wild temper, always killing some people for some reason or other, was homophobic, racist, and sexist. I don't know why the authors all chose to rewrite the same story again, but from someone else's point of view since this often got repetitive. The narrative was not written well. In fact, many pages were just dedicated to telling the entire story in as much detail as possible, when perhaps a little less detail was called for.

All in all, I give this book 2/10 (and that's being generous)

Hey #kyx

I can't really change the way you choose to look at the Bible but I hope you see it for what it is in the future.. God had a reason for doing whatever He did back then.. And then, I suggest you try read the other part of the Bible, the new testament, it might change your whole view/perspective on how you look at God
Reply 328
Original post by Sammy Munatsirei
Hey #kyx

I can't really change the way you choose to look at the Bible but I hope you see it for what it is in the future.. God had a reason for doing whatever He did back then.. And then, I suggest you try read the other part of the Bible, the new testament, it might change your whole view/perspective on how you look at God

I may be inclined to read the sequel, but the Old Testament put me off a bit. I have read that the character God improved and is more relatable in the New Testament, but I don't think I have the energy left to go through a whole page again...
Original post by Kyx
I may be inclined to read the sequel, but the Old Testament put me off a bit. I have read that the character God improved and is more relatable in the New Testament, but I don't think I have the energy left to go through a whole page again...

:chaplin:
It's alright, your call..
Reply 330
Original post by Sammy Munatsirei
:chaplin:
It's alright, your call..

:wink:
Original post by sw651
My point is that God CANNOT be eternal, because time is not eternal.

You suppose that God depends on properties of time which he created?
Reply 332
Original post by admonit
You suppose that God depends on properties of time which he created?

He doesn't exist so he couldn't have created time. Time is an entity which has a beginning and an end
Original post by sw651
He doesn't exist so he couldn't have created time. Time is an entity which has a beginning and an end

OK, if God doesn't exist he sure could not be eternal. :cool:
Sorry, I didn't read all this thread, may be I missed something..
Original post by Kyx
This is completely true.

If you add the big bang theory (which was accepted by the church) and general relativity (which follows common sense and logic), time had a beginning at the big bang.

:smile:

I don't think it is very sensible to treat this as incontrovertible fact. Sure, some famous scientists (e.g. Stephen Hawking) think this is the case... but then some other famous scientists (e.g. Sean Carroll) think this is certainly not the case. As far as I'm aware, this is still very much an open question in physics/cosmogony. The evidence isn't really there yet.

(I also agree with Foxman that GR is very far from a simple extension of 'common sense and logic'!)
Reply 335
Original post by Implication
I don't think it is very sensible to treat this as incontrovertible fact. Sure, some famous scientists (e.g. Stephen Hawking) think this is the case... but then some other famous scientists (e.g. Sean Carroll) think this is certainly not the case. As far as I'm aware, this is still very much an open question in physics/cosmogony. The evidence isn't really there yet.

(I also agree with Foxman that GR is very far from a simple extension of 'common sense and logic'!)

:frown:

tensor calculus and differential geometry are hard :tongue:
Reply 337
tensor calculus and differential geometry are hard :tongue:

I wasn't talking about the maths
Original post by Kyx
I wasn't talking about the maths

my bad. which part were you referring to then? in my books, relativity is maths! :holmes:
Reply 339
my bad. which part were you referring to then? in my books, relativity is maths! :holmes:

The concept :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending