The Student Room Group

Prenatal testing Ethical Issues URGENT PLS HELP!

I don't understand how "who has right to decide if tests should be performed" relates to "implications of medical costs, disagreements over next step and embryo has rights" in Edexcel marking scheme!!

Does it mean that these prenatal testings are so expensive that they aren't affordable for everyone?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply 1
There are more sophisticated and costly tests not available on NHS - hence a dilemma.
Reply 2
You need to understand the purpose of these tests. What are these tests for and why would they be done or not done. The costs of tests is not relevant.
Original post by Maker
You need to understand the purpose of these tests. What are these tests for and why would they be done or not done. The costs of tests is not relevant.

The costs are relevant as they determine who has access to them which is an ethical dilemma. Besides OP said costs are in the marking scheme so they clearly have to cover it.

I agree with what zareksaid, and the first part if your post. It's important to understand what the tests are for and possible outcomes of using the knowledge from the tests. . :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
The costs are relevant as they determine who has access to them which is an ethical dilemma. Besides OP said costs are in the marking scheme so they clearly have to cover it.

I agree with what zareksaid, and the first part if your post. It's important to understand what the tests are for and possible outcomes of using the knowledge from the tests. . :smile:

The purpose of the tests is to see if babies will be born with mental and/or physical disabilities. These can cost hundreds of thousands to treat every year of a child's life, compared to that, even the most expensive pre-natal tests are cheap.

Most pregnant women don't need expensive tests. Its only women at high risk such as a family history of babies born with disabilities or the parents are carriers for genetic diseases that will need more extensive and expensive tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending