The Student Room Group

Applying for a direct TC

Now that vacation scheme deadlines are nearly reached, what do people think about applying for an outright training contract? Just looking at Bonus Features on Chambers, many firms recruit the majority of trainees from vacation schemes so it seems TC apps are pointless? Some applicants are of course in full-time employment so do recruiters take that into account?
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
It's not pointless.

Yes they do take it into account, but it might be worthwhile highlighting it to them anyway.

If they only recruited from their vac scheme they wouldn't advertise the TCs - so someone's got to be in with a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you highlight this in an online application form (via the work experience section?)? For the past 4-5 months I have been in full-time employment directly out of graduation so didn't have the time to apply for VCs, open days etc. And does it matter that I have currently left my job (wasn't for me) now and therefore focusing on TCs?
I think they will definitely take it into account, but I'd be careful how you word it - many students are doing an intense degree and part-time work as well, so don't have a lot of time to do these applications but are expected to do so regardless. Of course I understand with full-time work it is difficult, I just think you should bear in mind that from a firm's perspective they may think you should have prioritised it anyway if you go with the angle that you didn't have time.

From what you've said, my advice would be to say you were already sure it was the career for you so didn't need to do placements, and are confident that going straight in for a TC is the right course - lots of applicants do this and it can be perceived as very confident and committed to the career. The reason they have direct TCs is for these people, so I think you'd be in with a great shot :smile:
Original post by J-SP
You'd say you made the decision to apply to training contracts directly as you were working full time and wouldn't have been able to take annual leave to attend a vac scheme/it was against the terms of your employment contract to be employed elsewhere.

No excuse for not applying to open days though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a dozen or so legal placements whilst at university and now a few banks after uni.

Still reasonable to suggest I have a commitment to law?
Original post by J-SP
the placement in banks post legal placements might cause some concern.

It's just the way the chips have fallen (around travel and other events).

Is there a way to explain that the banking industry experience isn't the aim, just a means to an end (e.g. moving to London)
I personally think, don't overthink it, just apply. I guess if you do get to an iv stage you can think about it then.

For some applicants, the whole vacation scheme thing is difficult to do. Anyone who works will get that and they will too.

Agree don't say that you didn't have time to apply. You have to make time obvs, and there is no way round that.

Are you doing legal work ex or vol work now that you are not working? Concentrate on that, don't draw attention to the fact your last job didn't work out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by happyinthehaze
I personally think, don't overthink it, just apply. I guess if you do get to an iv stage you can think about it then.

For some applicants, the whole vacation scheme thing is difficult to do. Anyone who works will get that and they will too.

Agree don't say that you didn't have time to apply. You have to make time obvs, and there is no way round that.

Are you doing legal work ex or vol work now that you are not working? Concentrate on that, don't draw attention to the fact your last job didn't work out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I finished University and undertook an internship with a bulge bracket to ensure I had something different than other applicants (finance law interests me). I then went off for a year travelling before coming back and worked in a different bank.

Surely the fact I have been out of my way to obtain 6 legal placements means there is always an interest?

The bank roles were hardly glamorous
Original post by O'Doyle Rules
Now that vacation scheme deadlines are nearly reached, what do people think about applying for an outright training contract? Just looking at Bonus Features on Chambers, many firms recruit the majority of trainees from vacation schemes so it seems TC apps are pointless? Some applicants are of course in full-time employment so do recruiters take that into account?

I didn't get an offer from my vac scheme, but I did get one direct.

Re bank experience, you can explain it as an effort to gain experience from the client perspective.
Yes of course, 6 legal placements sounds a lot more than many students get.

Also - unless the firms are specifically requesting all your work experience to date, then why not just leave the banking stuff off? I mean, when I went for a job in an employment law firm, I put in all my employment law experience and left off the family law experience, say. And vice versa. I didn't mislead, I just stated what the most relevant experience was. All applications that you do should be focused towards the firm.

Sometimes forms just say 'list all relevant work experience'.

Agree that your experience with banks can be seen as helpful. Perhaps you can list it separately with its own heading? In addition to your other experience? You have lots of experience, you sound like a well-motivated candidate.

I finished University and undertook an internship with a bulge bracket to ensure I had something different than other applicants (finance law interests me). I then went off for a year travelling before coming back and worked in a different bank.

Surely the fact I have been out of my way to obtain 6 legal placements means there is always an interest?

If the firms you're planning on applying to actually practise in finance/banking law, then I would say your banking exp should definitely be an advantage rather than a disadvantage, provided you present it correctly. As to how, I would personally suggest something along the lines of obtaining commercial experience outside law to gain an understanding of the client's perspective/to gain awareness of the commercial context within which the law applies, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending