The Student Room Group

Confused about Training contracts and SQE

Hello, I am going into my final year of law school
I am kind of hesitant to apply for vac schemes or training contracts because I got a 2:2 on average in my second year. I am planning to aim for a 2:1 when I graduate.

However I wanted to know if I can apply for training contracts before doing the SQE exam?

and

Can I do the SQE exams regardless if I do get a training contract from a firm?

and

Can I do my training contract alongside doing the SQE or should I take the year out to focus on the SQE if I somehow did manage to obtain one
Reply 1
You can apply to TCs before doing the SQE, if you secure one before doing the SQE, you have a chance that your firm will pay for your SQE. That being said, one of the main difference between Vacation Schemes and TCs is that with the first you don’t need legal experience. Without legal experiences you’ll have much more chances of succeeding with VC application than TC.

You can do the SQE without a training contract. There are a lot of webinars on the route become a solicitor via the SQE, have a look on internet.

Law firms recruit for TC in advance, which means that your start date will be aligned with whatever academic requirement you need to get. I am not sure but I don’t think a firm will let you work as a trainee and do your SQE at the same. I know some paralegals that do the SQE part time and work as well, but never heard that for trainees.

Overall, everything will hinge on whether you get a TC. If you do (and I wish that for you) you can then assess how to proceed with the input of your firm. Hope my answer was clear and helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by onxure
You can apply to TCs before doing the SQE, if you secure one before doing the SQE, you have a chance that your firm will pay for your SQE. That being said, one of the main difference between Vacation Schemes and TCs is that with the first you don’t need legal experience. Without legal experiences you’ll have much more chances of succeeding with VC application than TC.

You can do the SQE without a training contract. There are a lot of webinars on the route become a solicitor via the SQE, have a look on internet.

Law firms recruit for TC in advance, which means that your start date will be aligned with whatever academic requirement you need to get. I am not sure but I don’t think a firm will let you work as a trainee and do your SQE at the same. I know some paralegals that do the SQE part time and work as well, but never heard that for trainees.

Overall, everything will hinge on whether you get a TC. If you do (and I wish that for you) you can then assess how to proceed with the input of your firm. Hope my answer was clear and helped :smile:

Thank you so much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending