The Student Room Group

TC - Before starting Conversion Course?

Dear All,

I am a law student from Italy, now undertaking the PDGL to qualify here in the UK and I was wondering if I could get a TC before even starting or completing the PDGL?
Reply 1
Hi there!

Yes you can apply for training contracts at any point of your studies (usually starting from your second year of study). If you're lucky they might pay for the rest of your conversion course as well as pay for your SQE1&2.

For most law students its preferable to apply for TCs and secure it first before enrolling on a PDGL since they'll pay for it for you and you won't be out of pocket.
Reply 2
Original post by Tamimin
Hi there!

Yes you can apply for training contracts at any point of your studies (usually starting from your second year of study). If you're lucky they might pay for the rest of your conversion course as well as pay for your SQE1&2.

For most law students its preferable to apply for TCs and secure it first before enrolling on a PDGL since they'll pay for it for you and you won't be out of pocket.

Hey!
thank you for your advice. I was wondering how to get a TC? I saw some openings online but they are for 2025 or late 2024. I’m looking to start my PGDL in September…. Am I late?
Reply 3
Training contracts starting for this year have long passed now - you have to apply for them two years in advance I'm afraid.

I would still apply for the 2024/2025 intake if you can and check with the university and the law firm on whether it is possible to defer your place to the time that the TC would start. That way you know you've secured a space on the course and a space on the TC as well as have free time to do whatever you want before it starts.

Here's a great website to find current TC vacancies: https://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-jobs/training-contracts

Hope that helps!
Original post by LilianaNjambi
Dear All,

I am a law student from Italy, now undertaking the PDGL to qualify here in the UK and I was wondering if I could get a TC before even starting or completing the PDGL?

Hi @LilianaNjambi!

You can definitely apply for training contracts before starting or completing the PGDL, however, the deadline for applying for TCs unfortunately closes far in advance. Even if you are too late to apply for a TC which will cover the cost of your PGDL (I am assuming you are starting your PGDL soon), I would wholeheartedly recommend applying as soon as you are able to. Usually, if you are accepted and offered a training contract before your SQE exams then the firm will cover the cost for these which is really helpful financially.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 5
Original post by Tamimin
Hi there!

Hi! Just wondering whether this makes non-law students generally less desirable for firms to hire as we're more expensive (if they're paying for GDL and also SQE?)
Reply 6
Original post by zazzy.r
Hi! Just wondering whether this makes non-law students generally less desirable for firms to hire as we're more expensive (if they're paying for GDL and also SQE?)

From the research I've done it would depend on the law firms you apply to. The general feeling I get is that most law firms prefer non-law students because of the experience and training they would bring to the firm. There's a push to diversify trainee intake and anything you have that can make you stand out from your bog standard law student would be worth investing in.

When researching your firms I would check out their current lawyers and trainees and see what degrees they hold. A lot of them have non-law degrees in related subjects and its good see what patterns occur - what type of non-law students/graduates do they tend to hire/fund.
Generally year 1 university students who do not do law start the process of choosing firms and doing law related things during a non law degree to build up their career. They tend to apply for TCs in year 3 of their law degree and the summer before starting year 3. The bigger have closed applications for 2025 as they recruit years ahead and people will be applying for 2026 this summer/September . It is very very competitive even for those with top grades and a long process.

Make sure you have checked the UK rules as there is no need for a PGDL now by the way, just SQE. However plenty of firms prefer a PGDL for those without the 3 year LLB so if you can afford to do the PGDL there is certainly no problem with doing it first before your SQE courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending