The Student Room Group

C4 Trig. Integration Question

image.jpg This question (Q64) is from the review exercise in the Edexcel textbook.

I managed to do part (a) fine and got (xsin2x)/2 + (cos2x)/4 + c as the answer.

How do you do part b?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jasminetwine
image.jpg This question (Q64) is from the review exercise in the Edexcel textbook.

How do you do part b?

Use the hint they give you !
Reply 2
Original post by jasminetwine

How do you do part b?

You can write you integral as x(cos2x+12)dx\displaystyle \int x \left(\frac{\cos 2x + 1}{2}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x by re-arranging the given identity. This should now be easy to integrate using the answer for your first part.
Original post by Zacken
You can write you integral as x(cos2x+12)dx\displaystyle \int x \left(\frac{\cos 2x + 1}{2}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x by re-arranging the given identity. This should now be easy to integrate using the answer for your first part.

Second that. Dismantle x(cos2x+12)dx\displaystyle \int x \left(\frac{\cos 2x + 1}{2}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x to give
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int x \left(cos2x\right) \, \mathrm{d}x + \int \left\frac{x}{2}\right\, \mathrm{d}x

; by inspection the first integral is pretty much about retrieving your answer from part (a) (do remember to multiply by 1/2 though), while the second integral is something super fundamental.

Hope this clarifies. Peace.
Thanks for your help so far guys!

I can see that cos^2(x) = (cos2x+1)/2, using the identity they gave!

Where do you go from there (i.e. How do you 'dismantle' it)?

Darling I just demonstrated this in my earlier post. Break up the original integral into two parts. Peace.
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths
Second that. Dismantle x(cos2x+12)dx\displaystyle \int x \left(\frac{\cos 2x + 1}{2}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x to give
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int x \left(cos2x\right) \, \mathrm{d}x + \int \left\frac{x}{2}\right\, \mathrm{d}x

; by inspection the first integral is pretty much about retrieving your answer from part (a) (do remember to multiply by 1/2 though), while the second integral is something super fundamental.

Hope this clarifies. Peace.

image.jpg Is this correct? :smile:
Perfectly done.

Ouch my neck.

Peace.
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths
Perfectly done.

Ouch my neck.

Peace.

Thank you so so much!

Sorry about that!

Have a lovely weekend :smile: