The Student Room Group

Depreciation help

I'm a little unsure how to calculate depreciation in this question. It doesn't give me the salvage value or the useful life of the equipment.

Equipment at cost: 58,000
Accumulated depn. on equipment: 19,000

Equipment is to be depreciated at 15% per annum using the straight line method.

That's all the information I was given, does anyone know how to calculate it? This is to be put on the income statement btw.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by AFStudent
I'm a little unsure how to calculate depreciation in this question. It doesn't give me the salvage value or the useful life of the equipment.

That's all the information I was given, does anyone know how to calculate it? This is to be put on the income statement btw.

The figure that goes on the income statement is simply 15% of £58000 which is £8700

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

i HATE this!! doing it atm in uni and cant wait for the module to be over!
Reply 4
Original post by judging
The figure that goes on the income statement is simply 15% of £58000 which is £8700

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I completely ignore the accumulated depreciation part?

Original post by shawtyb
i HATE this!! doing it atm in uni and cant wait for the module to be over!

I know right, same. I have a test in 2 weeks time on income statements and the statement of financial position. This is one of the worst modules D:
Reply 5
I know right, same. I have a test in 2 weeks time on income statements and the statement of financial position. This is one of the worst modules D:

yea im on my mid module assignment about the exact same thing as you!
what course are you doing?
im doing business management but its got as finance module
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb
yea im on my mid module assignment about the exact same thing as you!
what course are you doing?
im doing business management but its got as finance module

im doing accounting and finance
So I completely ignore the accumulated depreciation part?

The accumulated depreciation is what goes on the balance sheet so £19000 plus £8700. I take it you have learnt about the depreciation expense account and the accumulated depreciation account?

If you are given a percentage you just work it out from that. If you are given a residual value and useful years then take the value away from cost and divide by the years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
im doing accounting and finance

wow i feel sorry for you :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by judging
The accumulated depreciation is what goes on the balance sheet so £19000 plus £8700. I take it you have learnt about the depreciation expense account and the accumulated depreciation account?

If you are given a percentage you just work it out from that. If you are given a residual value and useful years then take the value away from cost and divide by the years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't learnt anything about depreciation expense accounts or accumulated depreciation accounts. I started learning about depreciation last week and I'm not sure if the module I'm doing is going to teach me that? We are just preparing for the test on income statements and the statement of financial position.

Ah I see, that makes more sense. I need to brush up on how to produce a balance sheet, cheers.

Original post by shawtyb
wow i feel sorry for you :frown:

Why? :curious: The course is alright apart from this module and a module I just completed. The other modules include economics and maths, which I find really interesting :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending