The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship/Application help

Hi to who sees this. I’m currently a year 13 student in London who’s currently applying for apprenticeships.

I haven’t really had the best of luck and have been rejected multiple times majority of them are at the video interview stage.

I’m not sure where I go wrong or what to improve on to make sure I stand out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 1
Are you able to ask for specific feedback from the employer about what you were doing wrong?

Make sure you have something specific to say about typical employer questions, like a time when you solved a real world problem or did something that shows initiative. Usually this can come from extra-curricular activities, such as a military cadet force or you were the leader of some club at school. If you don't have this then try and develop these skills when you leave school. This could be through doing online courses or having a part time job where you demonstrate managerial skills during such job.

Once you do more and more you'll have a way of answering any of the questions but I would make sure you have a definitive answer for typical questions. However, I believe it's more difficult than interviewing for a job where you've been in the field for a few years; where you most likely already have some real world experience and some things you can talk about.

Hope this helps you.
Reply 2
Original post by Misshoneytae
Hi to who sees this. I’m currently a year 13 student in London who’s currently applying for apprenticeships.

I haven’t really had the best of luck and have been rejected multiple times majority of them are at the video interview stage.

I’m not sure where I go wrong or what to improve on to make sure I stand out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I mean there is no way to tell where you're going wrong without knowing how you conduct yourself in the interview.

Interviews are mostly about seeing how you interact with people and project yourself. You have to be confident, if it's a group task cooperate well and try to take the lead etc.

You want to show a level of self-awareness in terms of your weaknesses, but not in a self-depreciating way. E.g. I struggle with XYZ and the way I address that is XYZ, rather than "Oh my god, I'm so clumsy, if you want to keep your customers make sure not to give me any big projects haha".

It's also better to have a good think about the question than blurt out something stupid. You won't be penalized for debating your answers (unless you do this with every single question).

Lastly, research the hell out of the company and find a way to drop some of that info into your answers. At the end, make sure to ask good questions.
Reply 3
Original post by a_p3nguin
Are you able to ask for specific feedback from the employer about what you were doing wrong?

Make sure usyou have something specific to say about typical employer questions, like a time when you solved a real world problem or did something that shows initiative. Usually this can come from extra-curricular activities, such as a military cadet force or you were the leader of some club at school. If you don't have this then try and develop these skills when you leave school. This could be through doing online courses or having a part time job where you demonstrate managerial skills during such job.

Once you do more and more you'll have a way of answering any of the questions but I would make sure you have a definitive answer for typical questions. However, I believe it's more difficult than interviewing for a job where you've been in the field for a few years; where you most likely already have some real world experience and some things you can talk about.

Hope this helps you.

Usually when I get rejected I’m not able to get any form of help or advice afterwards. It’s just ‘unfortunately we have found another candidate’ along the lines of that.
Reply 4
Original post by Mara1680
I mean there is no way to tell where you're going wrong without knowing how you conduct yourself in the interview.

Interviews are mostly about seeing how you interact with people and project yourself. You have to be confident, if it's a group task cooperate well and try to take the lead etc.

You want to show a level of self-awareness in terms of your weaknesses, but not in a self-depreciating way. E.g. I struggle with XYZ and the way I address that is XYZ, rather than "Oh my god, I'm so clumsy, if you want to keep your customers make sure not to give me any big projects haha".

It's also better to have a good think about the question than blurt out something stupid. You won't be penalized for debating your answers (unless you do this with every single question).

Lastly, research the hell out of the company and find a way to drop some of that info into your answers. At the end, make sure to ask good questions.

Thank you so much for the reply and the advice.

Usually it’s a video interview, so there’s set questions already and I have to record my self answering them. So I’m not really sure where I go wrong at that stage.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for the reply and the advice.

Usually it’s a video interview, so there’s set questions already and I have to record my self answering them. So I’m not really sure where I go wrong at that stage.

I've just realised I replied to you on a different thread as well.

I thought you meant video interviews as in through zoom/skype/teams.

In that case I think the most important questions are: Do you prepare your answers in advance? Do you retake the video if something goes wrong?
Usually when I get rejected I’m not able to get any form of help or advice afterwards. It’s just ‘unfortunately we have found another candidate’ along the lines of that.

Email them a couple weeks after being rejected expressing that you feel feedback is very important to you as you always want to better yourself and identify ares of weakness, and that you remain interested in applying to the company for other roles in future and want to have the best chances possible.

Use ChatGPT to make sure the email is assertive enough while remaining polite and accepting that you were rejected.
Reply 7

In that case I think the most important questions are: Do you prepare your answers in advance? Do you retake the video if something goes wrong?

Yeah I’m trying to get as much advice as I can haha so I’m posting different threads.

Yes I do prepare my answers in advance and I do like to retake the video but sometimes even on the last chance I may have mixed up my answer.

I try to incorporate what the company does in my answers but I feel that what I have done doesn’t really abide to the company values if that makes sense?
Reply 8

Yeah I’m trying to get as much advice as I can haha so I’m posting different threads.

Yes I do prepare my answers in advance and I do like to retake the video but sometimes even on the last chance I may have mixed up my answer.

I try to incorporate what the company does in my answers but I feel that what I have done doesn’t really abide to the company values if that makes sense?

I’m not sure if it’s the way I say my answers as well. It’s very difficult to understand what I’ve done wrong as the companies don’t give any feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending