The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just to interject, I'm not completely sure as I vaguely recall reading this so,we here that may not be a legitimate source. I think they will implement the additional places, but I think you will be obligated to work for the NHS for 5 years? Or something along those lines and if you break the agreement or don't want to do it you have to pay for the training/large fee (I assume). Take this all with a pinch of salt, it's in my head and my source could be inaccurate/biased.
Original post by gmg2710
Hi Guys

I am a current Graduate Entry Medical Student (Year 3) at Swansea University. If anyone has any questions feel free to get in touch on here.

Graduate Medicine Guide Team

Hi!

I have tried to private message you but some reason it wont work but I wondered if you were able to answer a couple of questions for me please?

I am currently in my placement year of a mathematics degree and studying in Singapore for this Placement. I wondered if there are many people on the graduate entry medicine course at swansea what do not come from a directly bio science/ health science background? - Just to gauge if they let many people in without that bio/chem knowledge.

Thank you so much - Good luck with your Studies! :smile:
Original post by goa92
Wonderful thread I'm a pharmacist hoping for a 2018 entry into medicine.. So far i'm considering Nottingham, Southampton, Warwick , I'm not sure about my 4th choice yet

just wondering what it is about these unis that appeal to you? Im still trying to narrow my list down
Hello everyone
I am planning to apply for 2018 entry too. I will sit the gamsat in march and ukcat in the summer. This time i will practice practice practice.
:smile:
Reply 44
Thank god there's a feed for this. I'm in my final year of pharmacy and I wanna apply in 2018 after I finish pre reg. gonna be doing all the UCAS and UKCAT straight after degree finishes😂
I'm so psyched to see this thread here. I have a BSc in Forensic Science & Human Biology and MA in International Business. But after 3yrs of work, I've decided I really want to go and do what I've always wanted to do - be a doctor. So I'm aiming hard for 2018 entry, preferably to Warwick. Anyone live near Milton Keynes?
If anyone can answer my question would be great!

So I am currently in my second year of study and I graduate in July 2018 and I want to study medicine in September/October 2018 hopefully.

When will I need to start my ucas application?

And how & when do I need to sit my ukcat entry exams by?
Original post by Remedy758
If anyone can answer my question would be great!

So I am currently in my second year of study and I graduate in July 2018 and I want to study medicine in September/October 2018 hopefully.

When will I need to start my ucas application?

And how & when do I need to sit my ukcat entry exams by?

You apply next summer. So sit the UKCAT next summer.

There are a couple (Birmingham is one I think) that don't accept applications from final year students so bear this in mind.
Thank you very much :smile:

So just to clarify I will have to put in an application for ucas to study medicine for next summer?
When do i have to apply to ucas for medicine graduate entry?
Original post by Remedy758
When do i have to apply to ucas for medicine graduate entry?

The October before you want to start. Your deadline will be October 15th next year, if you want to start in 2018.
Original post by mgthompson89
I'm so psyched to see this thread here. I have a BSc in Forensic Science & Human Biology and MA in International Business. But after 3yrs of work, I've decided I really want to go and do what I've always wanted to do - be a doctor. So I'm aiming hard for 2018 entry, preferably to Warwick. Anyone live near Milton Keynes?

I live in milton keynes during non-term time funnily enough! Doing an MSc at the moment though in Swansea
Planning to apply for 2018 entry also. My undergrad was in Medical Science and Humanties and I'm now doing an MSc in Naomedicine. Sat the GAMSAT this year, but didn't do too great, hoping to set a proper schedule for GAMSAt revision and start in Late jan/ Feb to incease my chances of having a much better score :smile:
Planning on applying to A100 at Newcastle and Dundee but will have to ace the UKCAT :afraid:. I know its expensive because we get no student finance but I've been stashing cash like a squirrel and am blessed by having family support. :colondollar:
Not too sure about where I'll apply for A101 but it wont be a Gamsat university :cute:
GCSEs were decent mostly a string of A*s and A's
A-levels not so much: BCC with a C in both chemistry and biology.
Currently studying Biochemistry and aiming for a 1st or a minimum 2:1 :colone:
Original post by SolidGainz
Planning on applying to A100 at Newcastle and Dundee but will have to ace the UKCAT :afraid:. I know its expensive because we get no student finance but I've been stashing cash like a squirrel and am blessed by having family support. :colondollar:
Not too sure about where I'll apply for A101 but it wont be a Gamsat university :cute:
GCSEs were decent mostly a string of A*s and A's
A-levels not so much: BCC with a C in both chemistry and biology.
Currently studying Biochemistry and aiming for a 1st or a minimum 2:1 :colone:

Hey I think we're pretty much in the same boat! I also study Biochem and I'm look at A100 courses, right now I'm interested in Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester and QUB.

How early are you going to start your UKCAT prep?
Original post by manicmedic
Hey I think we're pretty much in the same boat! I also study Biochem and I'm look at A100 courses, right now I'm interested in Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester and QUB.

How early are you going to start your UKCAT prep?

I probably will start 2 months before my UKCAT test. Hopefully will book that for late August. For the first month of prep I won't spend too much time (30ish mins a day). The last month and especially the last 2 weeks I'll ramp it up to 1hour a day perhaps more. I guess its all about finding the sweet spot and know when to flag and move on. Not much revision that you can actually do for it just time management :unimpressed:
What about you? :smile:
I'm not too sure, I have applied to a few Finance internships over the summer and if I get accepted will be really busy! I think I will do the UKCAT fairly early, late June, min-July so I'll have a chance of retaking if it doesn't go too well.

Hows your application looking at the moment? I'm trying to sort out some volunteering placements but the recruitment process and training is so long! Also, what uni do you go to?
Currently volunteering at a food bank and hospice. I have an interview for Saint Johns Ambulance coming up for the role of a first aider too. Will be shadowing some doctors and nurses in the hospice soon so should be helpful. Yeah I totally agree so you have to start super early.
Just to let you know you can't retake the UKCAT in the same cycle.You'll have to wait an entire year! :K:
Any other non-health science undegrads around? I'm a physics student currently on placement. I wanted to take this year to get a feel for what kind of career I can see myself doing. I had medicine at the back of my mind so felt like a placement was a good time to experiment (also I need the money for the £3750 in 1st year GEM). I've been volunteering at the local hospital on the weekend and I just found out today that a consultant surgeon has offered me a day of shadowing in the theatre. I'm not going to lie I squeeled when I opened my emails this morning.

A few weeks ago I had a chat with a careers advisor from my uni and she said my main goal should be to find some shadowing experience. I didn't ask before because I had heard it's really hard to get but I think if you volunteer there it really helps. If you're thinking about it I recommend you just ask! I included in my email that if shadowing wasn't possible. just meeting a doctor at lunch for coffee or email them a few questions would be great. The reply I got was beyond anything I could imagine. Now I just need to focus on the UKCAT/GAMSAT. I've created an excel spreadsheet to help me decide what uni to apply to. I've blacklisted all the unis that only take bio/life science. Right now I'm gunning for Swansea and Warwick. Oxford interests me but I don't want to waste one of my options and not get in, also the course is very academic and I want something more balanced.
Original post by EuphoricBadger
Any other non-health science undegrads around? I'm a physics student currently on placement. I wanted to take this year to get a feel for what kind of career I can see myself doing. I had medicine at the back of my mind so felt like a placement was a good time to experiment (also I need the money for the £3750 in 1st year GEM). I've been volunteering at the local hospital on the weekend and I just found out today that a consultant surgeon has offered me a day of shadowing in the theatre. I'm not going to lie I squeeled when I opened my emails this morning.

A few weeks ago I had a chat with a careers advisor from my uni and she said my main goal should be to find some shadowing experience. I didn't ask before because I had heard it's really hard to get but I think if you volunteer there it really helps. If you're thinking about it I recommend you just ask! I included in my email that if shadowing wasn't possible. just meeting a doctor at lunch for coffee or email them a few questions would be great. The reply I got was beyond anything I could imagine. Now I just need to focus on the UKCAT/GAMSAT. I've created an excel spreadsheet to help me decide what uni to apply to. I've blacklisted all the unis that only take bio/life science. Right now I'm gunning for Swansea and Warwick. Oxford interests me but I don't want to waste one of my options and not get in, also the course is very academic and I want something more balanced.

Hey why don't you consider working as a healthcare assistant for a few months? You should be able to find a job with relative ease because of the work experience you have and the fact that you're a grad. You earn a decent enough wage and it looks excellent on your application. Its real hands on experience rather than just following doctors around. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending