The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) F334/F335 Exam Thread 2016 (14th/22nd June)

I know not many people do our board, and i haven't seen a thread for these exams, so i though I'd make one for discussion of these two units before the exam, for those small number of us that are on this Chemistry board :P

Some Links:

Past Papers: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-b-salters-h035-h435/

Specification: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/73469-specification.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kaz_96
I was just wondering if anyone had access to any of the 2015 papers from salters B? Been trying to get a hold of them but I've had no luck

Unfortunately i don't think they release the papers to the public until august of the following year (only released to teachers before this) :/. you could ask your teacher to print them out for you? that's what i did. Apparently its to ensure the teachers have a paper to give you for a mock or something (what my teacher told me anyway)
how are people feeling for this then?
Does anyone have access to the 2015 f334/5 mark schemes?

That would be very helpfull
Reply 4
Anybody got the 2015s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
2015s arent released by OCR until just before results day, so i dont know if theres a way to get the online copies (ask your teachers if you can)
Anyone else feel completely screwed for F335 or just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomith
2015s arent released by OCR until just before results day, so i dont know if theres a way to get the online copies (ask your teachers if you can)
Anyone else feel completely screwed for F335 or just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm done with f334 but haven't done any f335 papers yet...chemistry boundaries I've heard are really low tho πŸ˜…
Reply 8
on f334 papers i keep getting on the boundary of A/B, anyone got advice to improve? (is it just me or are the boundaries kinda high?)
Reply 9
Original post by ezaraf
on f334 papers i keep getting on the boundary of A/B, anyone got advice to improve? (is it just me or are the boundaries kinda high?)

Best advice is to collate all standard and unusual Qs and answers until you're comfortable regurgitating them. It sounds like all of the questions but it isn't. Nothing comes up outside of the revision guide, it's sometimes just the way they word it. I'm sure there's a document of salters perfect answers on the net somewhere I'll upload if I find it. Grade boundaries are unreasonably high given the difficulty of F334,5,6. Chemistry by far my hardest exams, and only exams I have done that are average 1 mark a minute, every other exam like maths etc are slightly more generous

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Zuzuvela
Best advice is to collate all standard and unusual Qs and answers of your comfortable. It sounds like all of the questions but it isn't. Nothing comes up outside of the revision guide, it's sometimes just the way they word it. I'm sure there's a document of salters perfect answers on the net somewhere I'll upload if I find it. Grade boundaries are unreasonably high given the difficulty of F334,5,6. Chemistry by far my hardest exams, and only exams I have done that are average 1 mark a minute, every other exam like maths etc are slightly more generous

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks so much, this is really helpful, i'll try and do that, for now its mainly the calculations but i can get help for that. p.s. nice mind scrambling name :biggrin:
Original post by Zuzuvela
Best advice is to collate all standard and unusual Qs and answers of your comfortable. It sounds like all of the questions but it isn't. Nothing comes up outside of the revision guide, it's sometimes just the way they word it. I'm sure there's a document of salters perfect answers on the net somewhere I'll upload if I find it. Grade boundaries are unreasonably high given the difficulty of F334,5,6. Chemistry by far my hardest exams, and only exams I have done that are average 1 mark a minute, every other exam like maths etc are slightly more generous

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the boundaries usually like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ezaraf
thanks so much, this is really helpful, i'll try and do that, for now its mainly the calculations but i can get help for that. p.s. nice mind scrambling name :biggrin:

If there are particular Question types you are weak at (I. E electrode potentials) I have a 'test bank' where every past paper Q, save 2014/15, is sorted by the specification points. You can search up the equivalent of your weak topics name and do all of the paper Qs for that topic (usually between 3-8)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by lyricalvibe
If there are particular Question types you are weak at (I. E electrode potentials) I have a 'test bank' where every past paper Q, save 2014/15, is sorted by the specification points. You can search up the equivalent of your weak topics name and do all of the paper Qs for that topic (usually between 3-8)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah thanks that'd be great, i knew abiut the question banks but didnt realise it was useful till now so tanks. is there any way you could send it to me?

btw for f334 its normally around 70 /90 for an A
Original post by ezaraf

You are most welcome. Just remember stuff like phenols/alcohols don't react with acids. NH2 goes to NH3+ under acidic conditions the last seat on the bus rule etc
Esters are not ethers. Amines are not amides

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Our school is using the external papers for our internal exams - could anyone tell me what's on the first paper? Or any difficult topics/questions I need to revise? I've been too busy revising external maths!
Reply 16
Original post by lyricalvibe
2015 papers

you life saver!!!!!!
Hey everyone! :smile:

Only a few of us salters students I see...seeing as it's the hardest exam board :frown:
What's everyone's predicted and how is everyone finding revision?
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Hey everyone! :smile:

Only a few of us salters students I see...seeing as it's the hardest exam board :frown:
What's everyone's predicted and how is everyone finding revision?

Hi! Yeah we have a very small group of us but it's such an obscure exam board lol!
I'm predicted an A and revision is going terrible πŸ˜‚ I've been focusing on psychology! Need to crack down to it!! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Hi! Yeah we have a very small group of us but it's such an obscure exam board lol!
I'm predicted an A and revision is going terrible πŸ˜‚ I've been focusing on psychology! Need to crack down to it!! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm predicted an A too but doubt it's gonna happen with PSYA4 on the same bloody day 😭πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜‘πŸ”« how are you revising?
I'm just doing past paper questions and looking through the revision guide really..

Quick Reply

Latest