The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Hi i was wondering if this was calculator or non-calculator??
Original post by DucksOnQuack
Hi i was wondering if this was calculator or non-calculator??

Depends which one. Paper 1 is non and 2,3 are calculator
You made a mistake for question 4
you wrote:
Expand and simplify 3(m+4) - 2(m+1) (1 mark)

=10-5m

However this is wrong because it should be:

3(m+4) -2(m+1)
=3m + 12 -2m -2
=m+10
Reply 2843
Hey, I pretty sure Q10 is wrong. When I did it I got the same answer as you, but I wasn't sure so I checked the formula for finding the midpoint of coordinates and I came out with an answer of (3 , 4.75).

This is how I got the answer:
M = (Xa+Xb)÷2 , (Ya+Yb)÷2
M = (1+5)÷2 , (2.5+7)÷2
M = (3 , 4.75)
Reply 2844
There is a container that has a cone with a cylinder on top. the cylinder has a radius of 3m and a height of H m the cone has a Base radius of 3m with a vertical height of 4m. the container is empty. The container is then filled with grain at a constant rate. After 5 hours the depth of the grain is 6 metres above the vertex of the cone after 9 hours the container is full of grain. Work out the value of H answer must be fraction in simplest form.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Juva
There is a container that has a cone with a cylinder on top. the cylinder has a radius of 3m and a height of H m the cone has a Base radius of 3m with a vertical height of 4m. the container is empty. The container is then filled with grain at a constant rate. After 5 hours the depth of the grain is 6 metres above the vertex of the cone after 9 hours the container is full of grain. Work out the value of H answer must be fraction in simplest form.

I get H to be 14/3 metres (as a fraction) = 4.67m Dunno if this is totally correct.

Volume of the cone works out at 12 Pi
Volume of grain in cylinder after 5 hours is 18 Pi (6m above vertex = 2m up into the cylinder as cone is 4m high)

Therefore total grain after 5 hours is 12 Pi + 18 Pi = 30 Pi

(30 Pi ÷ 5 hours = 6 Pi per hour which is the constant filling rate)

It took 9 hours total to fill the container completely, which is another 4 hours.

4 hours x 6 Pi filling rate = 24 Pi

So the total volume of the cylinder (not including cone) = 24 Pi +18 Pi = 42 Pi

Therefore using the formula for the cylinder: Pi h = 42 Pi

Divide both sides by Pi you are left with: r²h = 42 Therefore 9h = 42 So h = 42/9 = 14/3
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2846
Hey is there the 2016 Maths paper 1 foundation mark scheme anywhere
I don't understand where you got 18 from in question 6
question 4)... are you sure is 5m-10??
I multiplied 25 by 30 I've got 750 but I've divided by a number and i got 45 which is totally wrong😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending