The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 (Higher Tier) 2022

This is for an old exam. If you are looking for AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 chat for 2023 click here!

Hi guys,

If you can agree what the questions and answers are below I can make sure I keep this post updated :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

@Mythical Pingu am I doing right to tag you in this :smile:
Original post by TriplexA
@Mythical Pingu am I doing right to tag you in this :smile:

Si but he is off today so I'm covering :smile: Thanks! If people do jot down answers we can promote this, but depends if it gets busy :smile:
last question?
Reply 4
1st question : nucleus function: contains cells genetic information
mitochondria: site of aerobic respiration
cell membrane: controls what goes in and out of cells
Original post by Nibblet27
Hi guys,

If you can agree what the questions and answers are below I can make sure I keep this post updated :smile:

what did everyone put for the metabolism question and the one about respiratory systems?
Reply 6
Original post by nooooooobut
last question?

remind it to me please
Original post by fluffylion76
what did everyone put for the metabolism question and the one about respiratory systems?

for metabolism i said the one with a greater surface area loses more heat to the surroundings, so it has to respire more to maintain a constant body temp, which means the total sum of all reactions is greater. idk if thats right though
Original post by ISA1
remind it to me please

the last question was “how do monoclonal antibodies help a person with HIV to not develop aids” or something along those lines and it had a diagram on the HIV antigens and body cells
Reply 9
Original post by hoolahups
the last question was “how do monoclonal antibodies help a person with HIV to not develop aids” or something along those lines and it had a diagram on the HIV antigens and body cells

something along the lines of
we attach a radioactive or toxic substance to the monoclonal antibodies and because they are specific it will taget only the HIV antigen destroying it. so HIV will not go on to develop into AIDS
I got something along the lines of:- monoclonal antibodies bind to antigens- antigens cannot bind at the human cell binding sites- genetic information cannot pass into human cell- person cannot be infected
Original post by ISA1
something along the lines of
we attach a radioactive or toxic substance to the monoclonal antibodies and because they are specific it will taget only the HIV antigen destroying it. so HIV will not go on to develop into AIDS

I'm going to suggest that because of the diagram it wanted the idea of blocking the antigens. Radioactive and toxic substances are generaly a cancer treatment which was taken off the exam, however I could see both being on the markscheme so I dont know
Original post by CBrocks294
I'm going to suggest that because of the diagram it wanted the idea of blocking the antigens. Radioactive and toxic substances are generaly a cancer treatment which was taken off the exam, however I could see both being on the markscheme so I dont know

I put using monoclonal antibodies specific to HIV would destroy them as it binds to the antigens on the surface so they can't attach to the human cell and enter it therefore it can't reproduce so the immune system isn't damaged further

for this one, i put
monoclonal antibodies bind to the antigens on the surface of the virus as they are specific to HIV due to their complimentary shape; therefore, it makes it easier for phagocytes to engulf the virus and destroy it without harming human body cells
straight or curved line for graph q?
for the one about HIV and unequal numbers for men and women could you say: cases per 1000 men/woman??
Original post by gcse2022student
for the one about HIV and unequal numbers for men and women could you say: cases per 1000 men/woman??

I put % of population with HIV
Can u pls make a document or smth with the questions and I can pm or reply w answers ty x
Original post by Nibblet27
Hi guys,

For the fungal dividing did any of you get 16
Did anyone write about antiretroviral drugs for the HIV question?
I wrote about attaching the monoclonal antibody to the antiretroviral drug as they stop HIV from replicating inside body so they don’t damage immune system, which stops it from turning into AIDS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending