I enjoyed the new Top Gear. It feels more accessible

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
There are examples of similar happening without people losing their jobs

Wesley snipes blade trinity tried to strangle the director
Tom Sizemore and val Kilmer 50lb weights were thrown and one of them got hit
Ed Harris apparently hit James Cameron on set

Not the BBC, not the UK.
Chris Evans is absolutely useless as a presenter. I'm watching it right now and he's just not funny and his style of presenting/narrating is absolutely awful. He sounds like one of those try hard Youtube/Twitch streamers, it just sounds ridiculous. Even Matt LeBlanc looked like he felt a bit awkward with Chris running around him when he was introduced.

I expected it to not be as good as before but I didn't think it'd be this much worse
Original post by Grand High Witch
I am not into cars, but I thought I would check out the new Top Gear simply due to all the controversy surrounding it.

And I actually enjoyed it - it was quite interesting, funny and enjoyable. I had seen the old Top Gear and, frankly, it seemed more for middle-aged men who got the in-jokes of Clarkson and co. This Top Gear feels a bit more accessible to a wider audience.

Views?

The old one was more tongue-in-cheek, if not politically-correct, but it felt more jokey than serious.
Reply 23
I quite liked the Extra Gear, they did a proper news section, proper interview with their guest etc.
The actual show wasn't great, Matt Le Blanc seemed relaxed and his video on the Nomad was good but Chris Evans is the real problem with the show, way too eager to impress, too much cheerleading, cringey catchphrases (oh right!, feel the heat).
If they get rid of Chris Evans (and Eddie Jordan as well) and have Rory, Chris Harris, Sabine and Matt presenting then it wouldn't be that bad.
It used to be :woo:

Now it's :dontknow:
Original post by Hugs31
I quite liked the Extra Gear, they did a proper news section, proper interview with their guest etc.
The actual show wasn't great, Matt Le Blanc seemed relaxed and his video on the Nomad was good but Chris Evans is the real problem with the show, way too eager to impress, too much cheerleading, cringey catchphrases (oh right!, feel the heat).
If they get rid of Chris Evans (and Eddie Jordan as well) and have Rory, Chris Harris, Sabine and Matt presenting then it wouldn't be that bad.

Considering how bad Evans was yesterday I'm absolutely terrified for how bad it will be next week with Eddie. I can't think of many people as generally disliked within the car 'community' as him, have no clue why the execs thought he should be on the show. Extra Gear was ok, the fact that it's only 30 minutes though was seriously limiting though, each segment just felt way shorter than they could/should have been
Original post by flutterby-x303
I found Matt Leblanc a little dull. What I mean by that is firstly he sounds incredibly monotone during the voice overs, but his reactions to the things chris Evans says feel forced. There is certainly a lack of chemistry there and Chris comes across as overly enthusiastic and he tries too hard to create banter with Leblanc.

I thought Chris Evans' review of the cars ie when he drove them at the start was too similar to the way Jeremy did it, but worse. He tried to copy Jeremy's presenting style there by shouting in the car and as it accelerated etc.

The three wheeled car segment was supposed to be the funny bit, the part they added to try and recreate the humour that old top gear was famous for.
I thought the idea of driving the cars to Blackpool was OK. But I didn't find it funny, there was no real humour and banter between the presenters and I almost feel that Matts car was purposely made to break down several times because again, that is what happened on old top gear. I wouldn't have been surprised if Chris Evans had announced he was "going to just drive away" and leave Leblanc to fiddle with the engine in true top gear style.

I thought the challenges in Blackpool were poor. Seeing who's could go faster down that stretch of the beach was not exciting at all. Getting the mayor or whoever it was involved was again a poor attempt to create comedy. The tug of war was destined to fail given the fact you have two fairly heavy cars on sand.

The worst part was possibly the star in the rally cross car. I don't know why he got that Jessie bloke to come on WITH Gordon Ramsey? The two are unrelated and usually the only time two people come on is once in a blue moon and if they both have the same job like two news presenters or Cameron Diaz and Tom cruise because they have done films together. Perhaps new top gear couldn't have one star as it would mean Chris Evans would have to find more interesting things to talk about to that individual and we know now that is a struggle. The audience cheering (clearly forced by Chris swearing at them before the cameras started rolling) was bad. No one cares who had the better first car?

Overall it was in my opinion not good. I found about 2% of it mildly amusing but I don't know if that was genuine amusement of just me laughing at the awkwardness of what I have just watched.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I'd also add that the last bit where they pull up into Blackpool had some really dramatic music and Evans was getting even more excitable about this amazing feat of motoring that they had apparently achieved. In reality we just watched a few clips of them passing Oxford and Birmingham, essentially just having a 250 mile jaunt up the M40 and M6. It's not an epic journey at all. In fact because we saw so little of it and it was so undramatic (aside from - predictably -one of the cars breaking down) that is may as well have not been in the show at all.
Think you will find if you know anything about employment law that you arent allowed to go round punching your workmates, Jeremy Clarkson or not. They were already fighting a law suit, so had they approved Clarksons behaviour they would have had an even bigger legal bill. Clarkson himsel owned up and admitted he was entirely to blame.

Yep its pathetic wanting someone to fail says more about you than the BBC.
Thought it was awful, but I wasn't suprised.

The opening seconds were the worst bit for me, with Mr Evans pretty much doing an impression of Clarkson.

Old Top Gear worked BECUASE the line up was not diverse, allowing for the blokey banter which was such a great asset to the show.

Dad's Army, Father Ted, Inbetweeners? Mainly men casts, all have bloke bater, all brilliant.

Its not in keeping with diversity regimes but hey, its good TV at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest