The Student Room Group

finding the basics of driving really hard?

gist is in the title - did anyone else take ages to get the basics bits of driving when they were learning?

I've been trying to learn on and off for about 9 months but had to change instructors twice already and have probs had around 20 hours. I'm not struggling with the starting the car/knowing the pedals kind of basics, but stopping well/turning quick enough is so difficult. I legit knew ZERO about cars when I started, like not even how to turn one on so i suspect this hasn't helped.

I've checked out other posts on hear about driving but i can't rlly relate bc I'm actually better at the stuff people usually struggle with like gears/bigger roads than the beginners stuff. I feel like I can navigate roundabouts and reverse better than I can stop the car ffs.

I'm just not making much progress on not stalling/stopping properly and my instructor is getting frustrated/confused with me. I'd maybe think of starting automatic but tbh I don't think that's going to solve my problems since I'm ok with gears?

Anyway, I was wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and manage to fix it/how long did it take you to get the basics sorted? Driving also makes me super anxious so if anyone has any tips on how to feel less stressed behind the wheel that would be great :smile:
Original post by Miss Leading
gist is in the title - did anyone else take ages to get the basics bits of driving when they were learning?

I've been trying to learn on and off for about 9 months but had to change instructors twice already and have probs had around 20 hours. I'm not struggling with the starting the car/knowing the pedals kind of basics, but stopping well/turning quick enough is so difficult. I legit knew ZERO about cars when I started, like not even how to turn one on so i suspect this hasn't helped.

I've checked out other posts on hear about driving but i can't rlly relate bc I'm actually better at the stuff people usually struggle with like gears/bigger roads than the beginners stuff. I feel like I can navigate roundabouts and reverse better than I can stop the car ffs.

I'm just not making much progress on not stalling/stopping properly and my instructor is getting frustrated/confused with me. I'd maybe think of starting automatic but tbh I don't think that's going to solve my problems since I'm ok with gears?

Anyway, I was wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and manage to fix it/how long did it take you to get the basics sorted? Driving also makes me super anxious so if anyone has any tips on how to feel less stressed behind the wheel that would be great :smile:

So clutch control? Yeah, it's a pain. Took me a while as well.

Rule of thumb is if your care is travelling at speeds slower than 10mph, use the clutch as well as you brake.
If your car is stationary for more than 5 seconds, you're likely going to need to go into first gear.

Another thing about driving is that you need to "feel" the car, be able to discern when the car is about to stall. If it is, go for the clutch.
It's kind of like sports where you have to drill the motions into yourself before you can get it unconsciously. The kinaesthetic learners have a much easier time with this than other types of learners.

Stopping requires you to brake before you hit the clutch. The sharper the stop, the shorter the interval between brake and clutch.

Perfornance also requires a good amount of confidence and minimal anxiety. If your head is not in a calm and collected space, then you're not good to drive. Meditation is one of the go to means for this, but I like to think that you should also try to address the source of your anxiety where possible.
Think of driving as a casual everyday thing. You need to relax into it, but at the same time stay vigilant.
I think if you really are struggling with clutch control going automatic might be a good choice. The majority of new cars are going to be automatic especially with electric cars being forced upon everyone to get rid of petrol/diesel vehicles and some manufacturers opting for automatic only for petrol/diesel.

If you really want to drive manual then more practice is needed, you could get a driving simulator with the peddles, gear stick and steering wheel to practice with which should help to get the clutch control to where you need it to be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending