Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I was wondering whether or not Edexcel are okay with us giving fractions instead of whole numbers in M1 (assuming it does not ask for the figure to a certain number of significant figures). Looking at the mark scheme, they do not give the answers in fractions, but it would make sense if they accepted fractions because they're more accurate.

Just wanted to make sure I knew before the exam on Wednesday, and any input would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    Hi!

I was wondering whether or not Edexcel are okay with us giving fractions instead of whole numbers in M1 (assuming it does not ask for the figure to a certain number of significant figures). Looking at the mark scheme, they do not give the answers in fractions, but it would make sense if they accepted fractions because they're more accurate.

Just wanted to make sure I knew before the exam on Wednesday, and any input would be much appreciated.
    You can give your answer in exact form or fractions as long as you do not make use of any approximations during the calculation. This includes approximating g as 9.8 metres per second per second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can give your answer in exact form or fractions as long as you do not make use of any approximations during the calculation. This includes approximating g as 9.8 metres per second.
    You've probably saved me a few marks on Wednesday! I'm probably better off sticking to 2-3sf, then. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    No worries.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You've probably saved me a few marks on Wednesday! I'm probably better off sticking to 2-3sf, then. Thank you.
    On a related note, last year there was a lift question where so many people lost a mark for writing 2043 as their answer. But since g was used in the working 2043 must be rounded to 2sf or 3sf.

Even Arsey's model answers had a rounding mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    On a related note, last year there was a lift question where so many people lost a mark for writing 2043 as their answer. But since g was used in the working 2043 must be rounded to 2sf or 3sf.

Even Arsey's model answers had a rounding mistake.
    Wow, that's quite harsh. They should have a notice on the front of the paper telling students that they should keep to 2sf. It makes sense, though. Thanks for letting me know, you've probably saved me a few marks on Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's quite harsh. They should have a notice on the front of the paper telling students that they should keep to 2sf. It makes sense, though. Thanks for letting me know, you've probably saved me a few marks on Wednesday.
    They have on recent papers:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    x
    PRSOM

Never read the front of a maths paper in my life, and I doubt many other students do. That being said, it's not the exam board fault, and it makes sense having to present our answers like that if we use a simplified figure in our workings.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM

Never read the front of a maths paper in my life, and I doubt many other students do. That being said, it's not the exam board fault, and it makes sense having to present our answers like that if we use a simplified figure in our workings.
    I would claim that it is your teacher's job to make you aware of this. It gets mentioned in the examiner's report for nearly every Edexcel Mechanics paper.

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM

Yeah, it not only makes sense but it's requisite scientific practice. I can't say something like

"okay, I'm going to say the radius of the earth is R = 10,000 kilometres to the nearest ten thousand even though it's 6400 km to 2 s.f, and using that I get the mass of the earth to be 2.3838383234234 * 10^28". No ways, my final answer is guaranteeing that much accuracy even though I made a massive simplification earlier on? Not having it. If you use an approximation earlier on, your final answer should be stated to that same approximation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I would claim that it is your teacher's job to make you aware of this. It gets mentioned in the examiner's report for nearly every Edexcel Mechanics paper.
    Not knowing certain things pertaining to exams is something that comes with going to an under-performing state comp. It's a good thing I have TSR to clear these things up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.