The Student Room Group

life in north cyprus?

so im thinking about going to uni in cyprus, there is that international university called eastern Mediterranean university EMU and mostly everything is sorted. im just wondering if there is anybody here who lived or is currently living in cyprus and gives me some tips about the lifestyle and stuff? anything will help :smile: xxxx
Reply 1
Original post by khuman97
so im thinking about going to uni in cyprus, there is that international university called eastern Mediterranean university EMU and mostly everything is sorted. im just wondering if there is anybody here who lived or is currently living in cyprus and gives me some tips about the lifestyle and stuff? anything will help :smile: xxxx

I haven't personally lived there, but quite a few people from my school have studied in Nicosia. They seem to really enjoy it there, in particular the weather is said to be excellent.
By northern Cyprus, do you mean the Turkish controlled side, or the Greek side? Because the north is controlled by rebels who have declared independence (and are only recognised by Turkey). So the likelihood of a university from there being recognised outside Cyprus is quite low.
Otherwise, you should be fine. You'll really enjoy your time there. What course by the way?
Reply 2
Original post by ssshah2
I haven't personally lived there, but quite a few people from my school have studied in Nicosia. They seem to really enjoy it there, in particular the weather is said to be excellent.
By northern Cyprus, do you mean the Turkish controlled side, or the Greek side? Because the north is controlled by rebels who have declared independence (and are only recognised by Turkey). So the likelihood of a university from there being recognised outside Cyprus is quite low.
Otherwise, you should be fine. You'll really enjoy your time there. What course by the way?

oh i mean the Turkish side lol , i googled to find the proper name and gave me north Cyprus haha
and thanks for help, im thinking about pharmacy and done all my research already, its not like UK where you need personal statements and stuff just need to apply when i get my results back in august, they said minimum C in maths which kinda surprised me because the university itself is like one of the top 10's in cypus and C in maths is quite low
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi,
Just in case you need any help with accommodation then feel free to pm me.
Best Aimen
Reply 4
oh i mean the Turkish side lol , i googled to find the proper name and gave me north Cyprus haha
and thanks for help, im thinking about pharmacy and done all my research already, its not like UK where you need personal statements and stuff just need to apply when i get my results back in august, they said minimum C in maths which kinda surprised me because the university itself is like one of the top 10's and C in maths is quite low

Well the Turkish side is a bit tricky. You need to independently check whether the uni you're planning to attend is widely recognised due to the aforementioned diplomatic row. As far as I am aware, whilst all of Cyprus is part of the EU, EU law doesn't apply to that part of the country until the situation is resolved.
Can't imagine why you would want to live in an illegally annexed "country" recognised only by Turkey.
and thanks for help, im thinking about pharmacy and done all my research already, its not like UK where you need personal statements and stuff just need to apply when i get my results back in august, they said minimum C in maths which kinda surprised me because the university itself is like one of the top 10's in cypus and C in maths is quite low

Being one of the top 10 in Cyprus isn't much of an accolade given that Cyprus has a total of 13 universities.
Reply 7
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Being one of the top 10 in Cyprus isn't much of an accolade given that Cyprus has a total of 13 universities.

:lolz::lol:
Reply 8
Whoa whoa okaay guys i was just asking for help not to bring my choice down, it doesn't matter why but i just wanna do it there and I'm sure its not that bad. And can you please not give me lessons about where does it belong to an stuff i just want some tips not politic lesson. Thanks for the ones tryina help tho :smile: xx

my family comes from cyprus, and i've only been there during the holidays. cyprus is honestly great though i prefer the greek side (my family is from the turkish side) im not too sure about the schools however everyone there is very friendly! there are many english people living there and the beaches are amazing !!!!. though the weather is literally unbearable during the summer haha

Quick Reply

Latest