The Student Room Group

Geology Degree

Hi,
Hope some of you can help
Currently looking at university in the hope to do geology
We have looked round: Leeds, Bristol, Cardiff and we are going to look round Southampton in October
Struggling to pick which I prefer. Has anyone had any experience at these unis and hopefully point me in the right direction for a good course!
Reply 1
Original post by harryw17
Hi,
We have looked round: Leeds, Bristol, Cardiff and we are going to look round Southampton in October
Struggling to pick which I prefer. Has anyone had any experience at these unis and hopefully point me in the right direction for a good course!

I'd look at Exeter - Bristol is not a great location
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
I'd look at Exeter - Bristol is not a great location

I did look at Exeter but it's so far away. I live in the north east so it's very hard to get to for open days
Reply 3
I did look at Exeter but it's so far away. I live in the north east so it's very hard to get to for open days

You can see virtual tours and speak to peole on the course via the website. It's a far better location than Bristol and if you are looking at Southampton why is Exeter 'too far'?!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You can see virtual tours and speak to peole on the course via the website. It's a far better location than Bristol and if you are looking at Southampton why is Exeter 'too far'?!

Good idea. Will look at the virtual ones. Not to far to study but the timings and logistics of getting to open days make it awkward as geology is at the Falmouth campus not Exeter
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Good idea. Will look at the virtual ones. Not to far to study but the timings and logistics of getting to open days make it awkward as geology is at the Falmouth campus not Exeter

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/
Hi,

Hi! It's amazing to hear you are considering Southampton.

We are a strongly research based university meaning our lecturers are leading research within their respective field. Your program will have varied teaching methods including field trips which are invaluable to your learning. The NOCS campus is amazing and the library and research facilities are perfect for preparing for any assignments.

Overall, Southampton has a strong student community and the student union hold events and support is always available if you decide to join us. Hopefully you will consider applying, as a current student I can't recommend the university enough. The support for academics and the vibrant social activities and societies truly make Southampton such a great place to study. Let me know if you have any questions!

Mary (University of Southampton Student Rep)
Hi,

Hi @harryw17,

Obviously I cannot speak on these universities but some general tips to help with choosing would be the following:
As you have said you have already had open days on most of your chosen universities my tip would be to write a pros and cons list so far on those.
Also a big tip would be look at the modules available at each uni - are they the same? any differences? any that are your favourite and you would really like to do? any that you have no interest in?
Check how you will be graded - exams? coursework? 50/50? - and figure out what would be best for you on that front
Check what career opportunities and links they have to other companies
Do they offer any extras in your course e.g. study abroad or the opportunity to work in an industry for a year if so is that of interest to you

Hope all that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending