The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am currently studying in Glasgow,swap access to medicine course,want to apply to Perth next year,because it's too far for me traveling everyday.
Can somebody plz give me idea on the Perth courses.xx
Hey guys! Anyone knows the scoring system for international applicants?
is UKCAT a requirement ?
Original post by alcatraz_ege
is UKCAT a requirement ?

Yes
Reply 204
When do we find out if we got in?
Original post by Rikruk
When do we find out if we got in?

About 4 months time. Lovely wait.
I'm a London applicant. Haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet but I'm really sweating it.
Stats: 10 A*s GCSE, AAAA at A level (Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths). I'm on a gap year
UKCAT: 733 Band 2 SJT
Extra curricular: work as a healthcare assistant at the hospital - saving money for uni and amazing real experience. Work experiences at hospitals and hospices. Volunteered at a disabled school for years. Travelling to Dominican Republic in January with Gapmedics for more cool experience and fun! Always wanted to travel in my gap year.
Now I'm worried about my SJT and A level achieved grades because I didn't get 1 A* at A level :frown:
Original post by jess.olo
I'm a London applicant. Haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet but I'm really sweating it.
Stats: 10 A*s GCSE, AAAA at A level (Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths). I'm on a gap year
Extra curricular: work as a healthcare assistant at the hospital - saving money for uni and amazing real experience. Work experiences at hospitals and hospices. Volunteered at a disabled school for years. Travelling to Dominican Republic in January with Gapmedics for more cool experience and fun! Always wanted to travel in my gap year.
Now I'm worried about my SJT and A level achieved grades because I didn't get 1 A* at A level :frown:

I am not terribly familiar with how Edinburgh rank applications, however you won't find anything out till nearer march time (no interviews) so no news is good news I think:smile:
Reply 208
Original post by jess.olo

Would you hear earlier than school leavers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRP3
Would you hear earlier than school leavers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually have no idea. I think I would hear whether I got an offer or not around the same time as Year 13s (March) but it would be unconditional because I've already got the grades as opposed to conditional - you have to achieve the grades in order to take up your place for the Year 13s who have not yet done A2s. If that makes sense?
Original post by MF12345
I am not terribly familiar with how Edinburgh rank applications, however you won't find anything out till nearer march time (no interviews) so no news is good news I think:smile:

I guess you're right. Fingers crossed and good luck everyone.
Guys, do you know how many people applied for medicine to Edinburgh this year?
Original post by vacuityy
Guys, do you know how many people applied for medicine to Edinburgh this year?

About tree fiddy
Reply 213
Hi I have a 663 average UKcat, how many points will I get for that?
Original post by ADULLY
Hi I have a 663 average UKcat, how many points will I get for that?

Based on previous years, I would say you'd fall into the 4th octile (most likely), though that may change based on who else applies there. If you're in the 4th octile I assume you get about 5/8 points.

Remember that this is just an estimate, and that you may actually get more or less points.
Reply 215
Okay thank you very much, also I remember hearing that to get an offer from edinburgh you need 37 out of 40 points minimum any less and unless you have extenuating circumstances then you wont get it. is there any truth to that it seems quite high or is it just tsr rumours?
Original post by ADULLY
Okay thank you very much, also I remember hearing that to get an offer from edinburgh you need 37 out of 40 points minimum any less and unless you have extenuating circumstances then you wont get it. is there any truth to that it seems quite high or is it just tsr rumours?

I haven't seen anything official about the exact score you need to get to get an offer, but based on the fact that there are no interviews and a large pool of applicants, an extremely high score will be needed to stand a good chance.If you are a Scottish/EU applicant they'll be a bit more lenient due to the fact that there are a larger number of places vs smaller number of applicants when compared with RUK applicants, so if we say that an RUK applicant needs 37/38 marks to get in, a Scottish applicant could get away with 35/36.
Reply 217
Okay but have you picked those numbers just at random because they are high scores or is there somewhere that says you should get 37 to be in contention of an offer ?
Original post by ADULLY
Okay but have you picked those numbers just at random because they are high scores or is there somewhere that says you should get 37 to be in contention of an offer ?

That's based on the number which a medical student in Edinburgh mentioned.
Original post by ADULLY

Statistically, UK Applicants have lower chances of getting in with anything less than 37/40 on their application whist a Scottish applicant can get away with about 35/36. If you want more information, there are plenty of freedom of information extracts from Edinburgh.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending