The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Scroll to see replies

JaneThePain
I'm not sure when results day is- probably around the 22nd again.

results day is 16th august for most of the uk! scottish highers are out today!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
SIAN BETH
I know EXACTLY how you feel, last year I was at Manchester Uni and all the people I was sharing with were the most boring bunch of people ever. Didn't go out, didnt talk to you, nothing, thats why I'm so scared it'll be the same this year! But if theres one thing I'd say, it's dont miss the first night, I did last year (went to see McFly, long story) and by the time I met everyone on the monday everyone had made friends and I felt like a third wheel and never really fit in. Am deffo gonna make more effort this year and if people in my corridor are boring will go elsewhere lol!

I dunno freshers confuses me too, last year at Manchester you moved in thursday-sunday (I moved in friday, came home then went back up late sunday night), then the next monday-sunday was basically social things organised in the evening by our hall/and or union, like pub crawls, night out, getting to know you etc, and in the day you had to register and do loads admin type stuff that took literally hours to queue for so watch out hope its not the same at Liverpool! And also you had course inductions, info on your course and registration for that and inbetween you could go to freshers fair and sign up for stuff. Doesnt sound like it takes a week but honestly I'd be so knackered when I came back at 5pm! So god knows how theyre gonna do it in 3 days like theyve said!

see the thing is... i've already promised a girl (one of my best mates) from home, that i would go to her formal (prom) with her! its all being organised at the minute, but basically the problem is: The Formal is on Thursday 20th September, which means i'm going to have to fly home thursday morning, go to the formal and fly home friday night!!! which is going to be awkward and i'll probs miss out on loadsa uni stuff??

im starting to think it isnt such a good idea... but this girl is in france until start of school term! and personally dont know if i should miss this one... any advice from potential uni friends? (",)
Reply 22
Amores-Perros
see the thing is... i've already promised a girl (one of my best mates) from home, that i would go to her formal (prom) with her! its all being organised at the minute, but basically the problem is: The Formal is on Thursday 20th September, which means i'm going to have to fly home thursday morning, go to the formal and fly home friday night!!! which is going to be awkward and i'll probs miss out on loadsa uni stuff??

im starting to think it isnt such a good idea... but this girl is in france until start of school term! and personally dont know if i should miss this one... any advice from potential uni friends? (",)

thats a tough one......to be honest i'd just tell her the situation she should understand, n she'll prob tell u not to bother with the prom.....or she could flip her lid, in that case could u not persuade one of your mates to take her instead? the flights would cost a fortune n as sian beth said u really dont wanna be missin the first few days

hope it all wrks out 4 u xx
Reply 23
Yer, I agree with Laura, I'm sure she'd understand if you tell her the situation. Personally i'd not miss the first few nights at uni for anything, no way, i think people bond a lot on the first few days and i'd be doubly terrified if i was going later than everyone else.

ooooh 16th August, thats a tough one.

Oh, another Question, is anyone gonna apply for a car park space. I'm only coming from Manchester, so i don't reckon they'll give me one, but i def def def want to take my car. When i went last there was a load of spaces on penny lane and the surrounding areas but apparantly its all being yellow lined.
any ideas?

xxxxx
i havent got anything through yet, not even a room sorted
ive only got a conditional offer though, do you think this matters, and i havent taken a gap year
I want to get a parking space and i'm coming from Dublin.
HANNAH1987

Oh, another Question, is anyone gonna apply for a car park space. I'm only coming from Manchester, so i don't reckon they'll give me one, but i def def def want to take my car. When i went last there was a load of spaces on penny lane and the surrounding areas but apparantly its all being yellow lined.
any ideas?

Pff, I'm actually IN Liverpool, but I'll still need a parking space! I think it's a bit crap that we can't apply beforehand; I mean, people could be driving up from somewhere AGES away and they might not get a space!

If I can't get one, I'll probably keep The Mouse up at Lourdes (up the road from the halls). It's true that there's loads of yellow lines down at the moment, but it's still OK up there (plus I wouldn't park on Penny Lane if you paid me :biggrin:)

And to Amores-Perros, just tell the girl that it's your first week at Uni, she'll probably understand! ;hugs; Hope it works out for you!
yeah i hope so... this prom was set to be ten times better than mine... altho i cant remember any of mine... i have my little friend alcohol to thank for that... i made a speech... honestly... no recollection! gained 'legendary' for my drunkeness tho - planned not to drink that much this time round!!!

i wasnt to worried about the cost of flights... you can get £40 return from belfast and something similar from dublin (i live smack bang in the middle between the two)

still not to sure... i'm the type of guy who makes friends with everyone tho... like last week i got two girls and a guys mobile number on the way back from dublin airport (just over one hour on the bus). im not trying to sound like a bigheaded dick (which i think i might be) but all im saying is that i doubt it will take long for me to make good friends... and we are going to be there for at least three years each (four, if i get in...) so im still pretty unsure!!!

i reckon i'll wait to see if i've got into the uni before i go and make any rash decisions!!! but thanks for all your help!!! (",)
Reply 28
JaneThePain

(plus I wouldn't park on Penny Lane if you paid me :biggrin:)

Why's that then Jane??? Thought thats where the students all parked? Awwww...I'm sure there'll be plenty of spaces to park, might just have a few minutes to walk to it.

xx
Reply 29
In relation to the prom, I dunno, you would miss quite a lot but I can understand if you've promised you'll go. If it were me I'd probably consider how much I'd committed to going, and if I hadn't 100% said I'd go, I'd probably leave it. If theres one week you need to be at uni it's freshers, just cos you make all your friends and its vital for info and registering etc. Like I say though, up to you, idk how the girl would react if you said you couldnt go!

Cars; personally I wouldnt take a car to uni. Spesh if youre coming a long way, its so much of a pain and a lot cheaper on the train! I dont think they allocate parking spaces according to those that live furthest away, prob specific needs ie medical reasons that they may need to go home, personal reasons like having dependents etc. But seriously you dont need your car at uni, everyone uses public transport plus I dont think theres anywhere to park on campus! All my mates that have cars at uni just use them to come home in, they never use them in the city cos its so busy/expensive to park/such good public transport! But like I say, trains are regular from Liverpool so I dont see a reason why anyone would need a car.
Reply 30
Sian, I only live in Manchester, but i still intend to take my car, definatley!!!

basically because its 50% cheaper to get home and back at weekends and holiday. I don't intend to use my car to drive to university or into the centre, def not! but i think it will come in handy to go shopping like to asda. Also, my car cost quite a bit and if i left it at home it would just be wasting away. I don't want to sell it because i'll use it in the holidays. AND... my boyfriend lives a while away from me so i need it to see him..

At the end of the day, i couldn't do without my car, but i will use the buses and taxis to get to university and town anyway!!!

I think a lot of people are the same, i don't live near a train station, so would be such a hassle getting home on public transport, plus id rather have the luxury of my car! xxx
Hannah1987

Why's that then Jane??? Thought thats where the students all parked? Awwww...I'm sure there'll be plenty of spaces to park, might just have a few minutes to walk to it.

Yep, it IS handy, but I've had my car broken into twice there!! Ah well, we'll survive :biggrin:

Aye, I'll need my car, since my parents (and boyfriend) live in the suburbs... practcially farmland some of it! I'd have to get to town, and then get a train to the nearest station. There's no train station OR a bus stop by my house, so my Mum would have to pick me up from one miles out the way. As you can guess, she did this for years before I passed my test, and I don't think she particularly wants to revisit those years :wink: So yeah, my car is an absolute must. /moan

That? And I hate hate hate the buses in Liverpool. Especially the 10. Ew.
Reply 32
i really really need a space!!!! according to the letter we can apply n it'll be 2weeks until we find out!!!!!!! is everyone just taking their cars n hoping for the best????
Reply 33
What we can apply when we get there and find out in two weeks or apply now?! Yer, Im gonna take mine and just hope for the best, theres gotta be spots around and about the halls, but now jane's got me worried that its not safe!? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm x
HANNAH1987
What we can apply when we get there and find out in two weeks or apply now?! Yer, Im gonna take mine and just hope for the best, theres gotta be spots around and about the halls, but now jane's got me worried that its not safe!? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm x

It aint that bad! I dunno why somone would be scared really - it's just like any ohter city. As long as your smart about it (most criminals rely heavily on oppurtunity) you should be plenty safe as well as ur stuff.
Reply 35
No, im not worried about the city, its just leaving my car around the halls area, because i might be leaving it a couple of days without using out of sight like up penny lane or something, just wondered if it would be safe to do that. Obviously i wouldnt leave stuff in it or anything! x
HANNAH1987

Aw, no! Now I feel really crappy! The only place I'm staying away from is Penny Lane, but whenever I've parked by Lourdes it's been fine, honestly :smile: :hugs:
Reply 37
lol, ok. (i say cowering) lol, no, im sure twill be fine, so dont park on penny lane, gotcha! god i wudnt know what to do if my car got stolen, id just be stood there scratching my head... then ring my mum. lol! Oh... and ur really gonna need to show me where lourdes is? lol! it means nothink to me at all! xxx p.s. don't feel crappy! lol i feel safer when im in Liverpool than in Manchester! x
Reply 38
Lourdes is the hospital just up the road from the halls, opposite greenbank park. I've always seen loads of parking spaces in the roads near the halls so wouldn't worry.
Reply 39
ooooooooooh is the hospital near the halls?! I've been transferred from work to the liverpool hospital!? i do bank work, so can pick when i want to work, be handy if it was close! x

Latest

Trending

Trending