The Student Room Group

Grade 11 for 16yrs in UK

We just moved to UK. My son is in grade 10 where come from. His date of birth is 31-08-2007 (16yrs). When we applied through the councils they said as he is 16yrs (by 01 day) he cannot get admissions in Grade 11 and has to go in Grade 12 which is A Levels. But he hasn't done his GCSEs. And they cannot do anything about it.
Grade 12 is asking for GCSEs.

Colleges are offering only Maths and English and then vocational courses, which he doesn't want to do.

Really tensed what to do.
Original post by AsadK
We just moved to UK. My son is in grade 10 where come from. His date of birth is 31-08-2007 (16yrs). When we applied through the councils they said as he is 16yrs (by 01 day) he cannot get admissions in Grade 11 and has to go in Grade 12 which is A Levels. But he hasn't done his GCSEs. And they cannot do anything about it.

Colleges are offering only Maths and English and then vocational courses, which he doesn't want to do.

See: https://online-learning-college.com/knowledge-hub/gcses/gcses-as-an-adult/
See: https://www.openstudycollege.com/blog/gcses-for-adults
He may have to take gcse’s as an adult
See: https://www.reddit.com/r/GCSE/comments/vvvezj/can_i_do_gcse_at_16_as_an_international_student/
For person in similar situation
https://www.kingseducation.com/kings-life/igcse-vs-gcse
Can your son do IGCSE’s, is there a place that offers it?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
You may have to look at taking other GCSEs privately and paying for them, then going to year 12 next September instead. Unfortunately the way the education system in England works is we go September-august so if he had been born one day later he would be the oldest in year 11 but now he’s the youngest in year 12. Or look at private schools, generally they tend to be more lenient with school years
Reply 3
Original post by AsadK

We can them 'Year 11' not grade 11.

The problem is that he won't have covered the Year 10 GCSE content so many schools will be reluctant to take someone into Year 11 anyway. Has he got any qualifications from his previous schooling?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
We can them 'Year 11' not grade 11.

The problem is that he won't have covered the Year 10 GCSE content so many schools will be reluctant to take someone into Year 11 anyway. Has he got any qualifications from his previous schooling?

No earlier qualification as GCSEs will be the first of his qualifications.

He has term reports from 10th
Reply 5
Original post by ALEreapp
You may have to look at taking other GCSEs privately and paying for them, then going to year 12 next September instead. Unfortunately the way the education system in England works is we go September-august so if he had been born one day later he would be the oldest in year 11 but now he’s the youngest in year 12. Or look at private schools, generally they tend to be more lenient with school years

If he does Private GCSEs, then would Sixth form cosnider him for Sept 2024 admissions?
Original post by AsadK
If he does Private GCSEs, then would Sixth form cosnider him for Sept 2024 admissions?

Yes - sixth form care about meeting the gcse requirement.
Reply 7
Original post by AsadK

Yes, he'll need 5 including ones that he wants to do at A level. You'll need to find a centre and pay for exam entries. Have you tried phoning local schools to see if they would take him? A fee-paying school would probabl take him but I appreciate that is an expensive option.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Yes, he'll need 5 including ones that he wants to do at A level. You'll need to find a centre and pay for exam entries. Have you tried phoning local schools to see if they would take him? A fee-paying school would probabl take him but I appreciate that is an expensive option.

Yes we have spoke to couple of school, they say that Council will do it and the council is saying if the school take him, then we dont have an issue. More of a egg and chicken situation.
Independent school are expensive.
Reply 9
Original post by AsadK
Yes we have spoke to couple of school, they say that Council will do it and the council is saying if the school take him, then we dont have an issue. More of a egg and chicken situation.
Independent school are expensive.

You need to keep phoning schools - does your LA publish which have spaces? Yes the council has to allocate but schools are the ones who can bend the rules.
Reply 10
Can he not apply to take GCSEs in a local college? My daughter's sixth form has many kids resitting and taking for example, GCSE Psychology, Engineering, etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest