The Student Room Group

i don't understand chemistry but i need to take it at A-Level

So i have only just started Y11, so i know to others it may seem a bit soon to be thinking of A-Levels, however, ever since i can remember my dream job has been to become a doctor, i have always been an A*/A student but for some reason i just don't understand chemistry. I have worked so hard in every subject to get those A*/A grades but some reason i'm working at a B/C in chemistry and i don't know what to do. I am taking Biology, Sociology and psychology at A-Level if i keep my grades up but to study medicine at pretty much every Uni i need to take chemistry but i just don't get it so what should i do? Thanks.
Reply 1
You already know that you need Chemistry and there's no way around it. You just have to keep trying. Would it be possible to get a tutor or ask your teacher for extra help? In addition, for medicine the recommended A-Levels are Chemistry/Biology/Human Biology/Physics/Maths - Sociology and psychology might not cut it as they are both essay based.
I agree that you should take Chemistry, Biology and either Psychology or Sociology. Chemistry is hard but getting C/B is a good start. With extra hard work, you can get there :h:
Reply 3
I just about got an A in GCSE chemistry, and my understanding was far from top level. I also took lessons off for no reason in AS level chemistry, which i regret to this day.

In the end i got decent enough grades (A, B and B) in my A2 chemistry exams through hard work and revision materials. If i hadn't cocked up my first year, i could have quite easily ended up with an overall A grade, since first year was so simple.

Point being, with enough work you can gain a proper understanding of any subject. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonneedshelp1
So i have only just started Y11, so i know to others it may seem a bit soon to be thinking of A-Levels, however, ever since i can remember my dream job has been to become a doctor, i have always been an A*/A student but for some reason i just don't understand chemistry. I have worked so hard in every subject to get those A*/A grades but some reason i'm working at a B/C in chemistry and i don't know what to do. I am taking Biology, Sociology and psychology at A-Level if i keep my grades up but to study medicine at pretty much every Uni i need to take chemistry but i just don't get it so what should i do? Thanks.

You'll need at least an A at A-level chemistry, so getting a B/C at GCSE wouldn't be a good start and may suggest that you should rethink. People in my class who had A/A*s at GCSE got C/Ds at AS, so you need to be aiming for the top grades this year. But I'm sure you'll be fine if you work hard and start your revision early. Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest