The Student Room Group

Britain in crisis - A woman leads.

Is it me, but when Britain is in a major crisis, we turn to a woman*..

Spanish Invasion - Queen Elizabeth the 1st
70's recession and inflation - Margaret Thatcher
Brexit - Theresa May

Nothing saying its good or bad, just an observation.

*not including the 2 World Wars
You could argue that Britain is in some kind of crisis every couple of years.
Reply 2
Original post by Blimey1000

Brexit - Theresa May

Not too sure there is a pattern there. The Spanish Invasion and Elizabeth I taking the throne had literally nothing to do with each other. She ascended to the throne as part of succession, and the Spanish Invasion just happened to coincide with her rule. The Public hardly chose her to rule. And with Margaret Thatcher, many would argue (validly, or invalidly, idc) that she did nothing to help, and in fact, worsened the situation. As for Theresa May, well, we have yet to see what she'll do really.

I think overall, I hope you didn't pull a muscle, because this statement is a huge stretch.
Reply 3

That's a pretty huge exception

Oh, and we're *always* in a crisis.
Reply 4
Original post by MPH125
Not too sure there is a pattern there. The Spanish Invasion and Elizabeth I taking the throne had literally nothing to do with each other. She ascended to the throne as part of succession, and the Spanish Invasion just happened to coincide with her rule. The Public hardly chose her to rule. And with Margaret Thatcher, many would argue (validly, or invalidly, idc) that she did nothing to help, and in fact, worsened the situation. As for Theresa May, well, we have yet to see what she'll do really.

I think overall, I hope you didn't pull a muscle, because this statement is a huge stretch.

I agreed... too few data points for a pattern. But you can't deny Thatcher and QE1 made a huge difference to Britain, be it opening the economy to full market capitalism and the start of the British Empire by supporting the Navy etc. If we can chart British history at its major inflection points, there stand these women.
Reply 5
Original post by KingBradly
You could argue that Britain is in some kind of crisis every couple of years.

Original post by Another
That's a pretty huge exception

Oh, and we're *always* in a crisis.

Not really, we have more good times than bad.

Britain have made a huge contribution to world history and development, some bad but overall lots of good.

Brexit - Theresa May

Er... World War 1? World War 2?

There's no pattern, you've just given three examples.
I'm going to assume you're trolling, because as well as being no pattern, this thread is just plain silly.
So excluding the two major conflicts we have been involved in there is a pattern? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending