Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it me, but when Britain is in a major crisis, we turn to a woman*..

Spanish Invasion - Queen Elizabeth the 1st
    70's recession and inflation - Margaret Thatcher
    Brexit - Theresa May

Nothing saying its good or bad, just an observation.

*not including the 2 World Wars

ReputationRep:
    You could argue that Britain is in some kind of crisis every couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blimey1000)

Brexit - Theresa May

Not too sure there is a pattern there. The Spanish Invasion and Elizabeth I taking the throne had literally nothing to do with each other. She ascended to the throne as part of succession, and the Spanish Invasion just happened to coincide with her rule. The Public hardly chose her to rule. And with Margaret Thatcher, many would argue (validly, or invalidly, idc) that she did nothing to help, and in fact, worsened the situation. As for Theresa May, well, we have yet to see what she'll do really.

I think overall, I hope you didn't pull a muscle, because this statement is a huge stretch.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty huge exception

Oh, and we're *always* in a crisis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPH125)
    Not too sure there is a pattern there. The Spanish Invasion and Elizabeth I taking the throne had literally nothing to do with each other. She ascended to the throne as part of succession, and the Spanish Invasion just happened to coincide with her rule. The Public hardly chose her to rule. And with Margaret Thatcher, many would argue (validly, or invalidly, idc) that she did nothing to help, and in fact, worsened the situation. As for Theresa May, well, we have yet to see what she'll do really.

I think overall, I hope you didn't pull a muscle, because this statement is a huge stretch.
    I agreed... too few data points for a pattern. But you can't deny Thatcher and QE1 made a huge difference to Britain, be it opening the economy to full market capitalism and the start of the British Empire by supporting the Navy etc. If we can chart British history at its major inflection points, there stand these women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    You could argue that Britain is in some kind of crisis every couple of years.
    (Original post by Another)
    That's a pretty huge exception

Oh, and we're *always* in a crisis.
    Not really, we have more good times than bad.

Britain have made a huge contribution to world history and development, some bad but overall lots of good.

ReputationRep:

Brexit - Theresa May

Er... World War 1? World War 2?

There's no pattern, you've just given three examples.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'm going to assume you're trolling, because as well as being no pattern, this thread is just plain silly.

ReputationRep:
    So excluding the two major conflicts we have been involved in there is a pattern?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.