The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tinykates
i think americans are cute :biggrin:

Thanks for your remarkable insight into the American population

I'm sure when you get squashed by a 300 lb American from North Dakota who smells of B.O., you'll think the same.
Reply 61
Fly By
1/3 of the forum dont "hate" americans, its just those idiots in the debate forum putting across pointless discussions.

-the idiots among the people in the debate forum or the idiots of the debate forum?
-discussions?
-it was a poll where a third of the votes expressed "hate" of americans.
Reply 62
SamTheMan
Thanks for your remarkable insight into the American population

I'm sure when you get squashed by a 300 lb American from North Dakota who smells of B.O., you'll think the same.

when?
you're planning my death already? :tongue:
all the americans i've met were lovely :biggrin:
Reply 63
vienna95

-it was a poll where a third of the votes expressed "hate" of americans.

not everyone in the whole forum voted.
elpaw
post your annoying examples of american phrases that do your head in here :smile:

like, why do they call cinemas "theatres"?

and, why are films called "motion picture events"?

you get my drift?

They call them "movie theatres" when they want to be European and snooty. The American spelling is theater.
Reply 65
vienna95
i told you to find its relevance in that statement. my original comment referred to the number of people willing to criticise a strain of the english language for no constructive purpose. the same people, no doubt, that contributed to the "do you hate americans thread?"
one has to ask, was it your guilty conscience?

I didn't criticise US English. Stop arguing for the sake of it with irrelevant points. I can't be bothered responding to the rest of your comments. I am no match for your cogency.
Reply 66
piginapoke
I see what Gimp is saying about software and 'US English'. Most of the time there is little or no difference between US English and English in the language actually used in the software, they've just put 'US English' when perhaps they may have just used 'English' as a kind of catch-all term. Agenda here? Probably not, I assume it just means it was either written in the US or by someone who has learned US English (I hear that is quite prevalent), and there may or may not be Americanised spellings and phrases in the software. I don't think I've seen many software packages boasting both forms of English as options; the difference is too small to really care about.

Gimp, you could look at like this: you are adaptable enough to realise when something is written in English or US English and can read both with ease, whereas some might say some of our American chums may have difficulty with some of the original spellings :smile:

"I dislike that when installing software the only option nowadays is "U.S. English". I doubt it will be long before they just call it American (which some do already) and we're forgotten about entirely!"

contradicts

"I feel that these professional and international applications should...cater for each variety individually"

and

" I dislike that there is US English but not British English"

contradicts

"The fact remains that in Britain British English is spoken"
Tinykates
when?
you're planning my death already? :tongue:
all the americans i've met were lovely :biggrin:

I think that's the way you deserve to die: while sleeping with an overweight American.
I don't think much of Americans. They're not particularly good-looking people.
On an American campus, it's surprising to see how few good-looking girls there really are. I've seen many more on Canadians campuses, basically because they're less overweight. When you go to the US, you wonder how they manage to find good-looking people to appear in their ads and tv shows.
Reply 68
Gimp
I didn't criticise US English.

i didnt say you did! you are loopy!

Stop arguing for the sake of it with irrelevant points.

they are relevant to the points YOU RAISED against my OPINION in the first place!!

I can't be bothered responding to the rest of your comments. I am no match for you.

well thanks. :wink:
Reply 69
piginapoke
These are Gimp's words not mine, I just said 'I see what he is saying'.

i know, i just quoted you because that is the relevant post for this thread of conversation.
vienna95
"I dislike that when installing software the only option nowadays is "U.S. English". I doubt it will be long before they just call it American (which some do already) and we're forgotten about entirely!"

contradicts

"I feel that these professional and international applications should...cater for each variety individually"

and

" I dislike that there is US English but not British English"

contradicts

"The fact remains that in Britain British English is spoken"

Well if the current trends continue, they won't be able to call English, American. It would be offensive to the hispanic community...
The cultural movement to establish an official language in the US (there is still no official language in the USA) is called the "English Only" movement, not the "American Only" movement.

Almost all Americans say they speak "English". When they don't understand something, they'll tell you "speak English please", not "speak American please". It's only when they realise that there's a place called England, from which English originates that they bother calling it American English. To them, culturally, we're non-existent. They speak English, we speak something else...
Reply 71
My only complaint is that they call crisps chips.
Reply 72
SamTheMan
I think that's the way you deserve to die: while sleeping with an overweight American.
I don't think much of Americans. They're not particularly good-looking people.
On an American campus, it's surprising to see how few good-looking girls there really are. I've seen many more on Canadians campuses, basically because they're less overweight. When you go to the US, you wonder how they manage to find good-looking people to appear in their ads and tv shows.

what a nice boy
*pats head* :biggrin:
edit: with rubber glove on (just incase) :wink:
Tinykates
what a nice boy
*pats head* :biggrin:
edit: with rubber glove on (just incase) :wink:

I didn't participate in the head lice thread, basically because I don't have any...I have clean hair thank you very much.

And you'll find it hard to pat my head with your 4 feet in height.
AndyT
My only complaint is that they call crisps chips.

and they call the boot of a car, a trunk
chips are called fries
nappies are called dypers (?)
trousers are pants
what a headache...
Reply 75
SamTheMan
It's only when they realise that there's a place called England, from which English originates that they bother calling it American English. To them, culturally, we're non-existent. They speak English, we speak something else...

what does it have to do with England?! they speak English, we speak English. yes there are differences, but no more than there are between a scottish version or British Regional examples etc. it is not OUR language. for formal purposes it is best to differentiate between UK English and US English or as they may prefer, American. if this is not your standpoint, which is absolutely absurd, tell me how many people you know in the UK that refer to the language as 'UK English' and dont submit themselves to a charge of double standards.
Reply 76
SamTheMan
and they call the boot of a car, a trunk
chips are called fries
nappies are called dypers (?)
trousers are pants
what a headache...

The rest I can handle, it's just the crisps>chips>fries fiasco that gets my goat, and yet I've still seen "Fish and Chip" shops when I've been over there, does that not get confusing or do they actually enjoy a packet of Lays with their cod fillet?

Also, is there a generic term for Jelly in America or is it just Gelatine? I used to assume it was Jell-O but isn't that just a brand name?
Reply 77
SamTheMan
I didn't participate in the head lice thread, basically because I don't have any...I have clean hair thank you very much.

And you'll find it hard to pat my head with your 4 feet in height.

lol - who's 4 feet now? :cool:
piginapoke
The fact that you know what those phrases mean means its not really a headache at all. Its when peopel start saying words and phrases I've never heard of that the trouble starts, but that doesn't really happen too often and you can usually figure out what they mean.

nah, it's worse than that. When you're in the US, and you don't think too much about the way you're talking, several times, people will say "huh?" and really won't understand.
Some have never heard of the expressions "a queue" or "to revise for an exam". Sounds crazy but it's true.
Reply 79
piginapoke
Hmm ok.
How about "wouldn't it be nice if they'd just put 'English' as a catch-all of every variety of English as the differences are in fact minimal and if you can understand one you can understand another"?

of course, but some people, as we can see from this forum, get upset if they get lumped together. as my initial opinion set out, if anything it is respectful of the americans to refer to their interpretation as US English and not make the assumption that Brits use the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending