The Student Room Group

Read & Marking History A-level Essay on American Dream

Could someone ask my essay on the American dream? I’m resitting and currently don’t have a tutor so I’m just seeing if this essay is good or bad.

How accurate is it to say, in the years 1917-80, anti-communism was the most significant influence on the political landscape?

It is a matter of debate between historians whether the influence of anti-communism had a significant impact on the political landscape. However, it could be contended that other major factors influenced the political landscape more. This includes the Republican ideas of laissez-faire and the Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal policy which is still influencing presidential policies to this day. However, anti-communism affected all of America, even reuniting the Republicans and Democrats together against communist ideals. To come to a sustained judgment, a greater analysis of the scope of anti-communist influence affecting the political landscape, long term and short term, will be discussed. Yet, ultimately it will be argued that to a large extent that the New Deal had a much more significant influence politically.

During the first Red Scare in 1919-20, Russia had turned into the first communist state, USSR. They encouraged uprisings in Germany and Hungary. Americans feared this idea, as it went against the American Dream entirely. Communism demanded the equal distribution of wealth under one dictatorship which completely threatened democracy and freedom. Long-term, this scare still had a hold on the American people, so much so another Scare began in 1947-54, the outbreak of the Cold War. Now with two major communist powers, USSR and China, people began to look at Europe as becoming infected with communism. Especially with Stalin’s plans of reinstating the ‘old USSR’ back together. The scare even reached American politics, senator Joseph McCarthy claiming he knew over 200 communists within the American State department. Investigations began to look into these claims, McCarthy’s 200 turned to 81 and then 57. Still, he had the people’s support. Once he turned his investigation to the army, his treatment of the interviewees were so bad, that the Red Scare died away with him. The influence of anti-communism may be seen as temporary and exaggerated during two relatively short periods, which saw hysteria die away as the limited credibility of accusations were revealed. This goes to show that anti-communism didn’t have a long term impact on the political landscape, rather it took control over the thoughts of the American people and give them a reason for their government’s behaviour towards them which we certainly see today.

One policy that could be argued to have had a significant impact on the political landscape is the republican policy of Laissez-faire. Between 1921-33, started by Warren Harding, demanded isolationism from the rest of the world which respected the Neutrality Act that was sacred to the American people. Hardings slogan was “less government in business and more business in government” showing that it wasn’t the job of the government to be responsible for the American people. This idea was so successful that Calvin Coolidge was elected to continue it. This revitalised the Republican government, it was a period of prosperity so much so that another republican, Herbert Hoover, was elected just before the Great Depression. Once the Great Depression struck America, unemployment soared and poverty grew day by day. Hoover though this was another depressive period, decided to let things sort themselves out. However, with no government intervention, these issues only grew worse. Congress had to force him to take action, his policies were rejected many times, those that had passed created federal debt. The significance of Laissez-fairs on the political landscape had a short term affect, however it can be argued that today we do see government giving away power to businesses, especially Reagan’s policies. But, not to this extent. As for the affect on the American people, laissez faire only worked when America had a stable economy, it didn’t help once people began to become more dependent on government support. Therefore it hadn’t had a significant impact on the political landscape.

Another policy that can be argued to have had a significant impact on the political landscape is Roosevelt’s New Deal. After Hoover’s disastrous leadership during the Great Depression, Americans voted in Roosevelt for a desperate change in their circumstance. The New Deal insisted that the government was responsible for the welfare of the people. It stressed the importance of rapid international action and set up the NRA, guidelines for businesses on their better conditions, working hours and minimum wage. It also set up the AAA, helping farmers slow down production to avoid overproduction and bought up surplus to feed Americans. Roosevelt believed in the 3 R’s, Relief to families, Recover jobs and make sure Reforms were in place to never allow a crisis to happen again. It bought a safety net, if someone had lost their job, government was there to assist them. Social security is a program that still exists today (helping elders with pensions). Long term impacts of the New Deal are seen today. Within the people this was successful, as it changed the relationship between the government and citizens. This means that the New Deal did have a significant impact on the political landscape, Roosevelt served four terms for his successful presidency and there were many other forms of the “New Deal” that were employed in other presidencies such as JFK’s New Frontier.

In conclusion, the most significant impact in the political landscape was the New Deal. This policy has shown long term and short term success politically and amongst the American people. Historians should also consider anti-communism as a significant shift to the political landscape because even today we see Americans being influenced by this topic, rather I would argue it’s “Un-American” to be an communism in such a heavily capitalist influenced society. The least significant influence is laissez-faire, which we don’t see as much and was only a benefit for the short term.
(edited 5 months ago)
It's pretty good but I think you have perhaps missed off some important points.

When weighing up the significance of anti-communist thinking in the US you must make reference to the Truman doctrine. This underpinned almost all US foreign policy for the next 50 years so examples would be the direct intervention in places like Korea, Cuba and most importantly, Vietnam all of which were done specifically because of the fear that Communism would spread across the world, as well as the proxy wars the US fought all around the world. So a proxy war is where they are not directly doing the fighting but the US is either proving funding and munitions to those who are, or at a minimum the US was deliberately stoking up unrest to try to overthrow a communist backed regime. They did this a lot in the 1960s -1980s in South America, funding rebel groups to overthrow regimes in Cuba, Nicaragua and elsewhere. You've tended to focus on anti-communism inside America and quite rightly mention the obsession in the late 40s and early 50s with the Mcarthyite purges and also correctly identify that this shone brightly for a few years but then fizzled out but when you say 'The influence of anti-communism may be seen as temporary and exaggerated' you may be right about this domestically but as the notes above suggest, US foreign policy was entirely governed by this fear throughout the whole period under discussion. So perhaps a particularly nuanced answer would be to argue that anti-communism dominated US foreign policy, but not necessarily US domestic policy and then layer on top of that, that it went in cycles gradually accelerating in intensity after WW2.

I would also make reference to the US civil rights movement. This dominated domestic political debate in the 1950s and 1960s so must be referenced to give a balanced analysis.

I would also be careful in your use of terminology. Laissez-faire is really a political concept relating to the economy. It really refers to the government not intervening in the economy which is quite different from the American policy of international isolation followed in the 1920s and 1930s. The two were mostly unrelated but your essay suggests you are conflating them. I think you are going in the right direction but perhaps Laissez-faire is the wrong term to use. I think better would be something like 'limited government' as laissez faire really focuses on economic interviention - tarrifs, subsidies, sales taxes, regulations, setting of minimum wage levels. There has been, across the capitalist west, a debate about the extent to which government should intervene to promote fairness and equality so I would add to your third paragraph about how the New Deal became emblematic of the debate that continues to this day about the appropriate role for government in the US. The strong libertarian tradition that has underpinned much of Republic thinking and 'small government' is to be contrasted with Democrat approach (Roosevelt was a Democrat) which has promoted a much more active role in all aspects of society.....not just economics. So think the Civil Rights movement, environmentalism, regulating big tech companies.......so the Democrats see the government as a force for good in creating a fairer America, Republicans have traditionally distrustrusted alot of government intervention. Reagan famously (and probably wrongly) said '"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem." He said this in his inaugural address in 1981.

So this is spot on......'as it changed the relationship between the government and citizens.' but you need to draw it out more with reference to the way that domestic political activity was shaped by whichever party was in power and the wider debate about how much the government should do.

Does that help?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by history tutor
It's pretty good but I think you have perhaps missed off some important points.

When weighing up the significance of anti-communist thinking in the US you must make reference to the Truman doctrine. This underpinned almost all US foreign policy for the next 50 years so examples would be the direct intervention in places like Korea, Cuba and most importantly, Vietnam all of which were done specifically because of the fear that Communism would spread across the world, as well as the proxy wars the US fought all around the world. So a proxy war is where they are not directly doing the fighting but the US is either proving funding and munitions to those who are, or at a minimum the US was deliberately stoking up unrest to try to overthrow a communist backed regime. They did this a lot in the 1960s -1980s in South America, funding rebel groups to overthrow regimes in Cuba, Nicaragua and elsewhere. You've tended to focus on anti-communism inside America and quite rightly mention the obsession in the late 40s and early 50s with the Mcarthyite purges and also correctly identify that this shone brightly for a few years but then fizzled out but when you say 'The influence of anti-communism may be seen as temporary and exaggerated' you may be right about this domestically but as the notes above suggest, US foreign policy was entirely governed by this fear throughout the whole period under discussion. So perhaps a particularly nuanced answer would be to argue that anti-communism dominated US foreign policy, but not necessarily US domestic policy and then layer on top of that, that it went in cycles gradually accelerating in intensity after WW2.

I would also make reference to the US civil rights movement. This dominated domestic political debate in the 1950s and 1960s so must be referenced to give a balanced analysis.

I would also be careful in your use of terminology. Laissez-faire is really a political concept relating to the economy. It really refers to the government not intervening in the economy which is quite different from the American policy of international isolation followed in the 1920s and 1930s. The two were mostly unrelated but your essay suggests you are conflating them. I think you are going in the right direction but perhaps Laissez-faire is the wrong term to use. I think better would be something like 'limited government' as laissez faire really focuses on economic interviention - tarrifs, subsidies, sales taxes, regulations, setting of minimum wage levels. There has been, across the capitalist west, a debate about the extent to which government should intervene to promote fairness and equality so I would add to your third paragraph about how the New Deal became emblematic of the debate that continues to this day about the appropriate role for government in the US. The strong libertarian tradition that has underpinned much of Republic thinking and 'small government' is to be contrasted with Democrat approach (Roosevelt was a Democrat) which has promoted a much more active role in all aspects of society.....not just economics. So think the Civil Rights movement, environmentalism, regulating big tech companies.......so the Democrats see the government as a force for good in creating a fairer America, Republicans have traditionally distrustrusted alot of government intervention. Reagan famously (and probably wrongly) said '"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem." He said this in his inaugural address in 1981.

So this is spot on......'as it changed the relationship between the government and citizens.' but you need to draw it out more with reference to the way that domestic political activity was shaped by whichever party was in power and the wider debate about how much the government should do.

Does that help?

Thank you for marking this! I didn’t think anyone would’ve read all his through.

I love your point on Truman, after writing it I realised I should’ve written one paragraph on that rather than Laissez-faire as it was more related around the topic of anti-communism and the question overall. I love the points on the proxy wars, it’s really intuitive to place that into the essay.

Civil rights I didn’t include as much in the essay because the question focuses in on Chapter 1, do you suggest I should mix a few points between chapters to create a better argument in my essays? I never really thought about it. I really love the New Deal essay, I could write it all day!

I will re-write this essay! Overall what mark would you give this essay out of 20?
Probably a 12-13 out of 20. Perhaps a B but much more likely to be an A if you add commentary on:

The Truman doctrine
reference civil rights

but to get up to A* you need to add nuance so you should bring out this point:

"Republican ideas of laissez-faire and the Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal"

by highlighting the big government vs small government debate that has framed American domestic policy ever since FDR chose to rip up the non interventionist play book (Hoover) and used the government as a weapon to change society, in this case in the 1930s, to get people back to work.

You should also add nuance by contrasting domestic vs foreign policy so instead of saying 'it had the biggest impact on the political landscape' or 'it didn't have....' , a subtle answer would contrast the impact it had on foreign policy (alot) with the limited impact (apart from late '40s early '50s) it had on domestic politics.

The more you can avoid generalisations the better. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending