The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
qwerty3
pshh i got a U in AEA and a 1 in STEP I sooo funny ahah!! both did like 5 mins of revision just on how to add without the calc haha :P

Are you the guy I was laughing at for attempting a STEP paper having only tried two questions before? If so that is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 61
Wan1
could people recommend me any websites

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 62

:ditto:

Isn't it time for us to do a "STEP 2007 Markschemes" thread soon, by the way?
Reply 63
It would probably be more useful for people planning to take STEP this year to make that thread, but if you think it would be a good idea I'll be happy to contribute.
Yes, probably - starting now and finished (with pure) by 7 am? :biggrin:

Nah, but I really need to do some maths so would be good to attempt some questions.
Reply 65
OK. I might fill in a few of the III questions I didn't do.
Reply 66
Okay, I'll start a thread, if I can just find the old threads to copy the template...

Wasn't there a sticky with links to all our solution threads before? Or am I imagining stuff again?
ukgea
Okay, I'll start a thread, if I can just find the old threads to copy the template...

Wasn't there a sticky with links to all our solution threads before? Or am I imagining stuff again?

You're imagining stuff:wink: I have all threads in my userCP though, so if you want a template I can link you...
go for it i havent done any interesting question in the last few months. Its funny ive been doing a lot of multi variable calculus and i cant seem to find any interesting questions in the book im using. Makes it not worthwhile lol.
Reply 69
nota bene
You're imagining stuff:wink: I have all threads in my userCP though, so if you want a template I can link you...

Please, because the search function sucks...
Reply 71
Wan1
Im hopefully sitting a STEP paper next year if i get a conditional for cambridge, and i must say what i have atempted so far is pretty dam hard! Did you guys do alot of work to prepare for step papers, and could people recommend me any websites or just give advice so i can become more confident in tackling these questions?

If you want to, feel free to solve some of this year's STEP questions and post the solutions here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=443433.

Well, that's how all of us from this board who are off to Cambridge in a month or so did in preparation for the STEP, anyway.

Besides, some interview questions tend to be quite STEP I-ish, so by doing some STEP questions you're preparing yourself for the interview as well.
Reply 72
You guys should go to your old threads and link to all the solutions. Like right now, if I want to see the answer to question 6 1998 I have to scroll down myself =P. Then I can also print them off easily and give them to our maths department and take credit for it <_<. Nah just kidding.
Reply 73
first of all; congratulations everyone for doing so well! :smile:

2nd; if i were to take step III or II next summer, which modules in maths should I be doing? (my sixth form dont teach all the further pure modules - im in the process of teaching myself FP2)
Reply 74
FP2 and M4, really.
FP1 too I guess.

If you're like me and hate mechanics, FP2 will do. :tongue:

Make sure to try the past papers though! Maybe doing them all back till 1987 is a bit overkill, but...practise long and hard anyway.
Reply 75
ukgea
If you want to, feel free to solve some of this year's STEP questions and post the solutions here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=443433.

Well, that's how all of us from this board who are off to Cambridge in a month or so did in preparation for the STEP, anyway.Of course, everyone has their own way of working, but I always tried to avoid doing "last year's paper" during general practice, so I could save it for a proper practice exam closer to the time.

Just a thought...
Reply 76
That's exactly what I do. :p:
I hate "wasting" papers. I saved the 2006 papers for the week before just so I could do a "if I took this last year, I would get..." test run. If you do it any time before then, you might not be at your full potential (unless you're General or Franklin who clearly came out of the womb doing differential equations :wink:).

That said, last year's paper isn't going to look much like this year's paper in STEP.
Reply 77
Rabite
FP2 and M4, really.
FP1 too I guess.

If you're like me and hate mechanics, FP2 will do. :tongue:

Make sure to try the past papers though! Maybe doing them all back till 1987 is a bit overkill, but...practise long and hard anyway.

cheers :smile:

yeah, i dont like mechanics as much as pure so FP2 and FP1 will definatly do for me :biggrin:

i'm currently attempting step I questions and a bit of step II :smile:
eponymous
cheers :smile:

yeah, i dont like mechanics as much as pure so FP2 and FP1 will definatly do for me :biggrin:

i'm currently attempting step I questions and a bit of step II :smile:

You might also want to read up on FP3 (well, depending on your exam board): specifically, series (Maclaurin series) and induction. The former is a pretty huge topic, the latter is quite simple to get to grips with and can be very powerful. Even if you don't manage to get round to Maclaurin, definitely spend some time on induction. Vectors and complex numbers might be nice too, but if I'm honest I never managed to do many of those questions even with FP3. Edexcel are a bit useless with those two topics.
Reply 79
I got:
STEP II- S- 5 full qus and 3/4 of 1 qu
STEP III - 1 - 1 full qu and 3/4 of 3 qus and 1/2 of 1 qu and 1/4 of 1 qu

Latest