The Student Room Group

Share and sign this petition which opposes the Investigatory Powers Act

Do your small part. :smile:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

Also discuss in this thread. Feel free to ask questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
:bump:
You know what confuses me? The petition site 38 degrees. Why would anybody sign a petition on a site that doesn't actually obligate the government to do anything about it?

Spoiler

Original post by Retired_Messiah
You know what confuses me? The petition site 38 degrees. Why would anybody sign a petition on a site that doesn't actually obligate the government to do anything about it?

Spoiler

Because it will still create a bigger public backlash if it is ignored. Of course they don't have to, but it's still better if we kick up a fuss.

"The petition site 38 degrees."?
Original post by Rorschach II
Because it will still create a bigger public backlash if it is ignored. Of course they don't have to, but it's still better if we kick up a fuss.

"The petition site 38 degrees."?

https://home.38degrees.org.uk/

This is was I was on about. Thought serial petition signers would've heard of it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/

This is was I was on about. Thought serial petition signers would've heard of it.

lol I thought you were just randomly interjecting "38 degrees" in a sentence (ok for some reason.) I'm not a serial petition signer but I think the number [of signatories] has relevance.
Do petitions ever actually work on that site, or is it to make you feel like your opinions matter?
Reply 7
Original post by Willy Pete
Do petitions ever actually work on that site, or is it to make you feel like your opinions matter?

As far as I've seen that's normally how it goes, "blah blah blah we debated this and decided no" to 99% of the petitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L i b
Stick it up your old chutney chute.

Yeah, I've never understood why people are so bothered about privacy either...
Original post by ZacLaw
As far as I've seen that's normally how it goes, "blah blah blah we debated this and decided no" to 99% of the petitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a good campaigning tool though because it demonstrates the scale of the opposition to something. And some of the petitions do succeed.
Reply 10
Original post by InnerTemple
Yeah, I've never understood why people are so bothered about privacy either...

I really hope you're kidding lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really do thinknthis is a perfect example of Britain and the West have become such a mess politically.

This bill has been in the works since 2010, it was May's baby in the Home Office and its no surprise that she carried it aad into her premiership.

For the past 6 years those of wh oppose this bill have been called theorists, terrorist sympathisers, traitors, lunatics and now people want to pretend like they opposed it as much as they could? **** them.

Where was this outrage before the bill was passed into law, that's right, nowhere.

The British have a government that is innefectual,out of touch, borders on authoritarian, in other words, exactly what it deserves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending