The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

x.narb.x
He eased off the last 3 strides, its clear to see on the TV camera too. What a cock, the 100m is possibly the easiest event Physically to compete in, it doesn't require any mental toughness to really push yourself at the end, so why didn't he?

I couldn't believe it when they showed it on TV. I thought they were showing the wrong race on the news. The ease off at the end was pretty huge :eek:

(And narb, not seen you around for ages...have you been here, or did you disappear for a while?)
Reply 181
Does anybody have a link to a video of the race ?
Reply 182
Roger Kirk
I couldn't believe it when they showed it on TV. I thought they were showing the wrong race on the news. The ease off at the end was pretty huge :eek:

(And narb, not seen you around for ages...have you been here, or did you disappear for a while?)

Mermania - very good point, I apologise for calling him a cock.

I've been here, not posting as much as before though:smile:
I remember when he first broke the world record and ran 9.77 whilst easing off. I said this guy is like 21 and that fast by the end of his carear the world record will definetly be 9.6 something. Now a year on he can already run that. Is 9.5 really possible....
If he hadn't eased off, 9.5 would have been a decent estimate. So rather than being possible, I would think it's actually only a matter of time.
Hubert Poo
If he hadn't eased off, 9.5 would have been a decent estimate. So rather than being possible, I would think it's actually only a matter of time.

No way, easing off doesnt cost you that much time.
Don't you think? We're only talking two one hundredths of a second after all from the record set.
3 strides is quite a lot to ease off on so id suggest he'd be in the high 7.6s if he hadnt eased up but then again it was a heat which means he wouldnt have taken everything to the max so 7.5s isnt farfetched not with tyson for competition.
Reply 188
I'm so chuffed about Asafa. :biggrin: I desperately wanted him to break it again because, not only has he had to share 9.77s with Gatlin, I think achieving it three times is more than enough! :p:

Then again, I almost want to wring his neck if he doesn't manage to sort himself out in the races that matter. I fear he may always be a serial choker. :frown:

This is a physiologist's view on his chance of breaking the record once again... I think it's definitely possible. ;yes;

Cb.Incus
Does anybody have a link to a video of the race ?

Here you go: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xz88_asafa-powell-974-world-record_sport

Oh, and thanks Hubert for making this a sticky! :smile:
No problem Anneka. :top2:
No way he will run under 9.6 imo, id wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt even break 9.7
There was a significant following wind during the race, so I think this record will be very hard to beat. I agree with Economist, 9.7 will be a tough ask- and breaking 9.6 impossible imo.

Been said before but Powell has no mental fortidude. At the Olympics and in Osaka the other week you could tell from his eyes and body language that he was petrified before the race had even begun. He then went on to say he gave up the race when he knew he couldn't win. Talented athlete, but very poor attitude.
It's very sad - though Beijing is on the horizon, and Olympic gold would ratify everything. Admittedly Klins, as you say, previous experiences would lend us to think he may choke again, but there's still a decent chance he won't. I'd love to see him do it next year. :smile:
Reply 193
He better win in Beijing... :security:

:p:
Hubert Poo
It's very sad - though Beijing is on the horizon, and Olympic gold would ratify everything. Admittedly Klins, as you say, previous experiences would lend us to think he may choke again, but there's still a decent chance he won't. I'd love to see him do it next year. :smile:

I'd like him to do well. The 100m has always been about the rivalries for me, so I hope Gay doesn't have it all his own way over the next few years. Will be interesting if Gatlin worms his way out of his ban.
It's a shame because Asafa is pretty much the perfect sprinter. Superb technique coupled with a strong build.
Klinsmannic
There was a significant following wind during the race, so I think this record will be very hard to beat. I agree with Economist, 9.7 will be a tough ask- and breaking 9.6 impossible imo.

Been said before but Powell has no mental fortidude. At the Olympics and in Osaka the other week you could tell from his eyes and body language that he was petrified before the race had even begun. He then went on to say he gave up the race when he knew he couldn't win. Talented athlete, but very poor attitude.

He ran 9.78 on the same day with a wind of 0.0

Now take into account his age

Now proceed to wash your mouth out with soap
Klinsmannic
I'd like him to do well. The 100m has always been about the rivalries for me, so I hope Gay doesn't have it all his own way over the next few years. Will be interesting if Gatlin worms his way out of his ban.

Didn't Gatlin agree to an 8 year ban? (which is kind of silly because he will be 30 by then anyway) I think I heard he was looking at playing American Football.

I would be pretty angry if he got back into the sport though. Its bad enough hes been allowed to keep his medals.
Reply 198
SuperDaz
Didn't Gatlin agree to an 8 year ban? (which is kind of silly because he will be 30 by then anyway) I think I heard he was looking at playing American Football.

I would be pretty angry if he got back into the sport though. Its bad enough hes been allowed to keep his medals.

He agreed to the eight-year ban, so that he wasn't given a lifetime one instead. But his appeal is still pending and I think we'll find out the results of it soon, not sure when though. If he fails, he'll get his record wiped out (not that it matters as much, now that Asafa's broken it :biggrin:). He wants to reduce his ban, because he still claims his massage therapist drugged him. He'd love to defend his Olympic title next year, but I'd be amazed if the disciplinary panel were that lenient! :eek: And, yeah, last I heard he was trying out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers... I wonder if he'll have more success with American Football than Dwain Chambers did. :laugh:
There was something about Chambers on Grandstand a few months back, I felt pretty sorry for the guy living in a ****ty hotel room away from his family in a foreign country. He broke his foot so dont think he even played in NFL Europe either.

I think Gatlin might be a bit more succesful, hes a lot younger than Chambers and has the advantage of actually playing Am Football for most of his childhood. The main problem with DC is that although hes fast he cant catch the ball :p:

Quick Reply

Latest