The Student Room Group

A Level Physics Exam Question

Hi, I really don't understand this exam question I have to do. Can anyone figure it out?

Q: A circular wave spreads out from a point P on a water surface, which is 0.50m from a flat facing wall. The wave travels at a speed of 0.20m/s. Sketch the arrangement and show the position of the wavefront:
a) 2.5s
b) 4.0s
after the wavefront was produced at P.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by TheMrKeshy
Hi, I really don't understand this exam question I have to do. Can anyone figure it out?

Q: A circular wave spreads out from a point P on a water surface, which is 0.50m from a flat facing wall. The wave travels at a speed of 0.20m/s. Sketch the arrangement and show the position of the wavefront:
a) 2.5s
b) 4.0s
after the wavefront was produced at P.

After 2s, the wavefront would hit the flat wall - 0.2m/s*2.5s = 0.5m, the distance of the wall.

After 4s, it would have bounced of the wall and started to return towards point P, that is 1.5s after it hits the wall - so it will be at a point 1.5s*0.2m/s = 0.3m away from wall and 0,2m away from P

Quick Reply

Latest