The Student Room Group

Help with ideal gas equations in chemistry?

Hi guys,
So I've always struggled with maths, and I'm currently trying to do my chemistry homework and I just can't get my head around it. Any help would be really appreciated!

1) Lead (IV) oxide dissolves in concentrated hydrochloric acid according to the following equation: PbO2(s) + 4HCl(aq) -> PbCl2(s) + Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l)

Starting with 37.2g of lead (IV) oxide, calculate:
a) the volume of 12 moldm^-3 HCl needed to completely dissolve it
b) the mass of PbCl2 produced
c) the volume of chlorine produced at 298 kelvin and 100000 Pa.

2) What mass of magnesium, and what volume of 2.0 moldm^-3 hydrochloric acid, will be required to produce 100cm3 of hydrogen gas at 298 kelvin and 100000 Pa?
Equation: Mg(s) + 2HCl (aq) -> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)

I've done the other questions but I'm really struggling with these :frown: any help working them out would be amazing.

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

they gave you mass of Lead (IV) oxide so we can get the moles of it by using formula moles = concentration x volume subsitute the values to get moles then it says that "4 moles of HCL " react with it so multiply 4 with the moles of Lead(IV) oxide to get moles of HCL then use that to get the volume of HCL by using the formula moles = concentration x volume and subsitute to get volume this i step one .
then in step 2-> we already got the moles of Lead (IV) oxide so the moles of this is same as moles of PBcl2 use this moles to get mass by using the
formula moles = mass/volume and get mass now im uncertain about the third part though .

Quick Reply

Latest